I'm a medical...mystery?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and this is an easier way to discuss this current rough patch, as it's something I'm even embarrassed to discuss with my close family. For years, I've had gastrointestinal issues but they've constantly been difficult to diagnose. 4 years ago I went through a very, very bad bout of what the doctor at the time diagnosed as "acid reflux". Now, I know for sure it was partially correct, because on a daily basis I'm dealing with the constantly rancid, acidic taste in my mouth, and burning sensation that is heartburn as well as in my nose. But, at that time I had such intense nausea and cramping that I had unheathily lost 14 pounds in under a week.

Now, as I'm in the midst of my Junior year of college, this issue is once again encroaching on my daily life and making it difficult to power through my class schedule, and the work that needs to be done. Luckily, I've been able to stay on top of my work successfully (I don't know how to be honest), and my professors have been so kind and understanding to me in my time of need. So, once again over the course of January and February I dropped from a healthy weight of 138, to 122 pounds...and I'm a 20 year old Male.

My constant, essentially everyday symptoms consist of...bloating, nausea, cramping, BAD acid reflux, constipation, loss of appetite, and early satiety. This is what led to my bad weight loss, and now the past week I've had an all new set of symptoms. Beginning Thursday, I've experienced consistent "sulfur burps" which is the nasty excessive burnt popcorn/eggy tasting and smelling burps, excessive flatulence, non stop stomach gurgling, and more loss of appetite.

Before I found a new doctor in February, I was told I was a "mystery". Not liking that response, as this is my health we're talking about, I found a new doctor based off recommendation. In March, my new doctor performed an endoscopy and told me that the biopsies for h. pylori, gastritis, etc. came back negative so I was free of that, but told me I have Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome. While I believe this because some symptoms match up, I'm almost inclined to believe that I'm constantly suffering under the wrath of IBS because the symptoms and feeling are basically exact. Now, thank you to all who made it this far in the post as I'm happy to be relieving this mental stress, and comes my true question. For us all suffering from IBS, or even other gastrointestinal illness...what do you do on a daily basis to help you focus and keep you feeling well during the day?? As my fatigue increases, and the stress of real work and schoolwork continue to pile on, I'm running out of ways to control these symptoms from appearing and it's extremely frustrating. We all just want to live "normally", right?! Thanks everyone.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Just take a probiotic drink, and eat a healthy vegetable and fruits diet. 

• Posted

Hi Rocky,

Thanks for the response. I'm actually taking a probiotic pill everyday already, but that doesn't seem to help much. What's an example of a probiotic drink? And also, I'll have to stick with more vegetables as I'm so lucky to be allergic to most fruits (melons, cherries, plums, peaches, apples, etc.). Lots of fun

• Posted

I have IBS and my main symptom is stomach pain along with constipation and incomplete bowel movements when stressed. I take Buscopan and Ibruprofen.  Before diagnosis, one doctor told me my symptoms were confusing and she hadn't got a clue.

• Posted

Thank you Pippa for the advice, I feel that I may need to try that as well. I have days (such as today) where I feel totally normal. No nasty burps, no pain, limited nausea...but we have no idea what tomorrow could bring, and that's what I would like to have under control.

• Posted

You could try the low Fodmap diet to help with your trigger foods.  Many people are helped by it.
  • Posted

Quadrunner, I have plenty of gastric problems but not IBS so far. My experience is that they come and go at their leisure. Hopefully your's will go soon.

I just wanted to say that I think it is remarkable that you can go through this a stay up on your class work. My hat is off to you. Good luck and take care.

• Posted

My 9 year old son has gastroparesis and Crohn's disease and juvenile fibromyalgia. It has been two years of watching go through treatment after treatment and nothing work. I know have him on a pretty mild diet and we do lots of smoothies made with vegetables because he is allergic to some fruit. He weights under 50 pounds and looks like a little skeleton but he doctors say his weight is fine and there is nothing else they can do. I have put him in pool therapy case he can barely walk. He still goes to school and stays on top of his work. I think the main thing is trying not to let it get you down. He try's to have a positive attitude and do things. He wants to be a cryptozoologist when he gets bigger so we try to do anything to not think about the pain. And seeing a councilor may even help just by talking about can help with stress which can make your symptoms increase. I wish you luck and encourage you to never give up remember that you are the one going through this stuff not the doctors so it is always your right to argue if you don't think something they say is right be your own advocate speak up. You know what is best for you and what has worked

• Posted

Hi Torrie, sorry to hear about your son, i know his much older now, did he manage to grow out of his symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.