I'm a senior and I've been dealing with extreme Health Anxiety since the 10th grade. Help.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have become so consumed with checking myself everyday. I am obsessed with lymph nodes. I feel them everyday, I even made the ones in my neck swell because I thought they were swollen when they were actually normal size and it caused my neck to swell too. I get benign tremors, I am always irritable, and I'm in fear for my life everyday. I've thought that I've had HIV/AIDS even when I was a virgin, and am now currently obsessed with Lymphoma/Leukemia/Sarcoma. I found a lump in my groin and I am so scared. I feel like it's because I have a lot of hair, wear breifs, & I sweat down there so I try to believe it could be a sabaceous cyst however my mind keeps telling me it's something chronic. I recently went to the Dr. and my lymph nodes were normal and he said I was fine, but now I'm scared to go have this examined because I know that's where my life will change forever. I avoid talking about cancer and in class if we talk about cancer I take it as a sign that I might have it or I just tune people out. I always think the worst in situation such as if I am out woth friends I'll say to myself "This is probably going to be the last time going out before I have to go to the Hospital." I was excited for Collge but now I am not because I think I won't make it because of the illnesses I think I have. This affects my everyday life and I'm only 17 years old. Please read this and take this into consideration and give me your honest opinions, thank you so much.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you gotten Bloodwork recently? If so relax. Even if not, relax. You will notice you go through stages of fear. Mine has always been around my heart. First it was my heart was beating too fast. Then it was what if it just stops. Then it was what if its clogged. Now it's back to what if its too fast.. Your mind will make up scenarios the more you allow it to. What you're describing in your groin area, sounds like it might be an ingrown hair that gets swollen. Try giving it a few days, even two weeks. It becomes painful so if it does, don't get scared, it'll slowly calm down. Put a got washcloth on it if it irritates you.

As for the lymphnodes.. I check my heartrate daily so I understand how annoying this is to deal with. Try doing this.. Wake up and tell yourself "ok, you can check them at 11am".. When 11am comes around, tell yourself you will check them at 1230 instead.. Then 2.. Try holding off for as long as you possibly can. You will slowly start to notice that you do not need to check them every single minute or even daily. I'm now to the point where unless I'm having a bad panic day (like today, joy) that I won't need to check mine more than once a day. I used to literally check it every single hour. Are you on meds? In therapy?

• Posted

You have health anxiety. 100%

Are you on any medication or receiving any therapy at all? You have very irrational thought patterns and it is clearly interfiering with your life.

I'm sorry you have to feel this way, I know it's terrible being in constant fear of having life threatening conditions.

You need some serious CBT.

Your 17, you're still young you should be focusing on having a good time and getting good grades in college.. not worrying about weather you're going to make it through.

Get yourself to the doctor about your latest fear/obsession.

The only way to know is to get it checked out. It's probably nothing. I thought I had breast cancer and went and got checked 3 times in one month and there was nothing wrong.

Unforchanetely with these anxieties the only way to overcome them is to face them.

You've got your whole life ahead of you,

• Posted

Sorry I pressed send my accident..

You've got your whole life ahead of you, take a breath and relax.. get yourself an appointment and chill out for now.

There's no point in stressing over something you don't know the answer to.

• Posted

Thought you were a pensioner above.

Still at College I stand corrected, Lol

If you have not seen your GP YET see your GP about the lump on the groin, it is important all men should check themselves even though it could be just a fatty lump. I have on on the back of my neck, it has been there for fourty years and it never really changes. I now accept it is there and I will bend the ear of my GP if there are any changes.

As my old GP said when I first noticed it, Yes you are a pain in the neck. He was anticipating what I was saying about it Lol

If your GP is happy, that is great, forget about it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.