I'm a week out of TKR.

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm 1week from a TKR of my right knee. How do I get rid of that "burning feeling"?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm 12 days also R tkr with L tkr 3 year ago. I spend most of my day exercise ice elevate with a little potter round about every hour also make sure you keep up the pain meds it's easier to keep it under control rather than miss meds because you think it's ok then the pain hits and it's hard to get back under control. I also ( as tonight) get up if I can't sleep and have a cuppa as it's pointless lying there awake half the night . There's so much healing to do and it's a long hard journey but if this knee turns out half as good as my ither knee Il be happy. They say 12 week recovery but I think it's a full year before you actually feel it's fully recovered but for me it's been well worth it. Stick in there and the burning does eventually go . Good luck xx

• Posted

If I still have the pain & the burning 7 days after surgery, is it too chicken of me to put off seeing PT for the 1st time?

• Posted

I am 14 days after left knee TKR. I do exactly the same....rest, ice, elevate & a little potter around the house every hour or so. A cuppa at night & a short read. I wasn't taking the right level of painkillers to begin with as I was sent out of hospital late on a Friday with 3 days supply of paracetamol & codeine.... when I had been using oramorph on a regular basis to take the edge off between meds. Fortunately my doc has now prescribed some. I also bought a Lumark ice & compression kit off Amazon....£35.....which is really good when my knee is burning. Appreciate....the healing process & will continue for months. I hope you get some relief & continue to make good progress. Keep in touch Kim x

• Posted

Hi!  I’m 3 months from bilateral TKR and I still have that burning sensation. I never had real pain but always that burning. It causes me to have to sleep in a recliner because I can’t lay down in my bed.  No one has been able to give me a solution, so I hope you get one and share it. Good luck with your recovery!  It gets better every day. 
    • Posted

Everyone says it gets better...I just want to know when...Does sleeping in a recliner really work?
    • Posted

Try the Lumark Ice pack & compression kit from Amazon. Expensive £35 but worth it... really cools it down for a while. Make sure you put a piece of material or a paper napkin between the ice pack & your skin. Good luck.

• Posted

I’m 12 weeks post tkr and I have to sleep in recliner.I have tried bed & settee and sets pain off no idea why so still more comfortable in recliner.

• Posted

One week out elevate the knee and use an ice pack. You have a great deal of healing and disturbed nights ahead of you but really stay focussed on a month ahead then another then ....
  • Posted

The burning sensation lasts around three months but eases gradually,I wish I had a recliner when I had my TKR seven months back even the thinnest bed sheet irritated my knee mainly where the incision was made in the end I saw my GP and got some prescription sleeping pills to help me over a couple of difficult weeks (best decision I made)your sleep is so important to your recovery.Now some good news after 18 weeks I was back at work (phased return) I have a very manual job which includes three flites of stairs, I play golf three times a week,walk the dog for miles and all pain free and without any limping and it’s a great feeling being able to join in again, got your life back feeling.
  • Posted

Hi I’m 6 weeks on from TKR and my situation at the moment is that the knee feels the same with also a lot of stiffness . I’ve used ice pack to help with swelling and at the same time cool the knee down which cools down a bit then back to normal 
  • Posted

hi i was 4 weeks into my knee replacement when some surgeon suggested to put me on gabapentin wish he would have mentioned it sooner my knee still has burning feeling but it surely is better than it was and my surgeon  says it takes time to get into your system so i can only say it worked for me, we are all different when it comes to medication but you can ask for it and try it. max
  • Posted

You don't.  Well, actually, your meds should help plus, once the incision is healed, you can use some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US)...a great topical anti-inflammatory and painkiller.  Ice, ice, baby...

• Posted

Good morning, on the 30th of April I will be 6 months out. I still have some night pain, don't sleep even with rx sleeping pills, my leg and foot still swollen, pain in lower part of TKR leg, do you consider this all normal? Getting discouraged, people ask if it was good to have this done, kind of hard to answer at this point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.