I'm about to start Fluoxetine and I'm terrified!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Yesterday I was prescribed Fluoxetine for my anxiety and depression and I'm really nervous to take it. I know it will help me in the long run but all these side effects are putting me off. I will be starting them on Tuesday because then I have a few days off work to get to grips with the new meds but I just wondered how you people have reacted to it? My friend was on them for a few weeks but got really sick and has now been swapped to a different type of medication. Are there things I should look out for? I have a huge phobia of being sick which is the main reason I am scared of taking them. Any reassurance would be greatly recieved! Thank you x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey listen you shouldn't read the side effects becasje then you might just be making yourself all worried and your not actually feeling them you just think you are for me I started taking every day about a month ago and it took me 2 weeks to get back to normal everyone is different my doctor said it takes atleast 10 day to set in so I would take more then a few days off but hey maybe it's not for you but it's really been helping me you just need to give it time ,

Hope I was helpful

• Posted

You were helpful, Thank you. I wish I could take days off work but it's not allowed unfortunately, if I take them in the morning as advised the side affects would wear off somewhat by the time I get to work (i work evenings and nights)?
  • Posted

Hi! What dose are you starting on? I know many people hate stories about side effects, but I honestly had none! Not one single side effect smile and I had a fear of being sick at the beginning as well, which sort of worsened my depression, but that fear went away as the depression faded.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reassurence, I have been given a starting dose of 20mg a day smile I think it's one of the lower dosages just to get me started and see if there's a change at all.
  • Posted

Hi there,

Just try not to have any expectations. Almost everyones story unfolds differently. I will say the first month I had very few, if any, side effects and actually felt I was all better, like I was a poster child for prozac. That changed starting week 4-5ish. Intense morning anxiety, nausea, lightheadedness, the return of obsessive thoughts, negative thinking, etc. But starting week 6 I'm slowly improving from that lull.

I would encourage you to keep taking it even if you feel worse right away, because it takes a long time for the medication to work. I've heard anywhere from 4-6 weeks before it's fully in your system. Good luck, hope you keep posting your experiences here. smile

• Posted

Thank you so much! I was considering keeping a diary to document the process so I can explain it better to my doctor. I can always post it here too! smile
  • Posted

Hi, I am the same about to start fluoxetine and I'm terrified ! Can I ask you said your friend got sick do you mean as in throwing up or did they have other side effects ?

I know 2 friends on fluoxetine abs they have no side effects and feel great on it but I'm still worried as I read it stays in your system for a while so if I had a bad side effect it would take a while to subside.

I've even contemplated emptying some of it out of the capsule before I start (not recommended I know) as I'm scared to start on a full 20mg. I was previously on another anti d which was tablets and I only took a quarter of it at first and built up , I think it helped with side effects

• Posted

She is very sensitive to meds but got like light headed and had stomach pains, not literally throwing up. She took it for 3 weeks and then changed because her doctor said that it would take a while for the effects to subside if she kept taking it and she really needed something to work asap.
  • Posted

Most people cope well with fluoxetine. I have a friend who is quite old and frail and she got used to fluoxetine within a few weeks. I took about 6 weeks but it's really not that bad. Yes you will feel fed up to begin with.. maybe even "really" fed up but persevere. I did and am now glad I did.

People on this forum helped encourage me. It is great that this forum is available to us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.