I'm addicted to co-codamol

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I started taking Co-codamol for spd and then it was prescribed for my ibs.

I have been taking between 6-8 tablets daily of 60 mg, I have never abused the drug or over used it in any way however I have found that I am dependant on it. I really wish to get off this drug, I want to go back to a time where I don't need to use it.

I can control my ibs with other drugs and it's shocking how much my body craves it. If I don't take it, I get awful restless legs, sweats and flu like symptoms.

I'm waiting for a phone call from the doctor to see what they recommend me to do, but what has everyone else done. Do you cut cold turkey or cut down.

Im angry that the addiction was never explained to me and that my body is so dependant on it regardless of the fact that I've never over used the drug whatsoever.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dawn

You’ve come to the right place. Everyone is so supportive on here!! 

Are your tablets 30mg codeine each of 60mg each? Just trying to figure out your daily dose of codeine. 

With regards to what you should do, I guess it depends on what you really want to do and what you think your body can handle. 

I didn’t go CT but I did a very fast taper.....went from 12 tablets on a Friday (nurofen plus) to only having 2 the following Monday (what’s that....3 days). 

My biggest fear was the withdrawal. Especially the anxiety part as I already have generalised anxiety. 

Did you hear from your Dr? 

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I'm currently on the third day of going cold turkey, I was taking two 30mg as prescribed. I didnt even realise it was an addiction until I stopped taking it one day due to running out and I was very ill and a soon as I took the Co codamol, I was a right as rain.

I'm also worried bout the lasting anxiety effects. I've recently been hospitalised due to my mental health and I'm worried that this will make it worst so far, I've had very little symptoms. I'm quite achy and got a headache but still functioning xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.