I'm afraid of a heart attack

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, i'm a 17 year old male that has a concern about his heart for about 2 years now, it started off with chest pains, now I get all sorts of symptoms. Whats gotten me to write this is what i've experienced just now. I was sitting getting shoulder pain and worrying and all of the sudden I've felt a weird sensation in my chest where my heart is. It felt like my heart is struggling or palpitating I jumped putting my hand on my chest i couldn't feel anything for a second and then my heart rate speed up and I could hear my heart loudly in my ears i started walking around the house I've checked my BP it was over 160/80 or something like that, but it went down in minutes back to normal. I don't know how to cope with this. I've been to couple of places to get my heart tested, numerous ECG's have been done and came back just fine. I've had one echo done which came back as a mild aortic valve regurgitation but other than that i've been told I don't need any medicine and my heart muslce is strong. They've advised me to come back next year. I'm waiting for another Echo which is at 25th of June. Sometimes it gets better, and I got more active outdoors, running fast causes my chest to hurt, the pain gets worse as i breathe in and stops short after I stop running or if i run slower. Sometimes I do feel sick randomly or short of breath, but that's when I'm having a stressful day usually. I don't know what to do anymore and I feel like i can die any minute, I don't know what i'm going to achieve posting this but I guess I'm looking for reassurance. Thank you for replies!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karolis

Your feelings sound very much like anxiety to me. At 17 it would be very unusual to have any kind of heart disease unless you had a malformation of your heart at birth which would have beeñ picked up during your developement through childhood. Your tests havent shown any enlargement in the heart in fact it showed that your heart muscle was strong. You said you had palpitations quite suddenly and that your bp went up to 160/80. That is acceptable. When you are a sensitive or anxious /stressed person you can release adrenaline easily which makes your heart beat faster. This recovered quite quickly which is a good sign. Running fast and experiencing chest pain is also normal for anyone. Build up fast speeds slowly. Also you recover quickly. The fact that you said you feel sick sometimes and short of breath but you were having a stressful day could mean you experience anxiety which would cause these symptoms. Try your slow running if this suits you or yoga or meditation as all of these would teach you breath control which is calming. To also help use one drop of lavender oil on your skin or mix a couple of drops with olive oil and massage on your arms or feet and if available to you buy some Bach Flower rescue remedy to spray into your mouth when having these episodes. Also I would suggest looking into a magnesium supplement for yourself. Stay away from foods containing MSG. I am not a Dr but suffer from tachycardia and these things help me. I wish you a good outcome on the 25th. I hope this helps a little.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply, this helps. It's just really hard to believe all this could be caused by anxiety, as sometimes I don't even feel anxious and I still get the symptoms, it's really weird and scary. I try to tell myself it's just anxiety but the symptoms get overwhelming and I just end up worrying more. As I've said before sometimes it goes away for a week or two, and usually comes back worse than it was or atleast it feels like it. I do get palpitations from time to time randomly feels like a twitch in my chest or like my heart jumps suddenly. Also I've noticed that I get anxious easily, even if I'm on a computer or playing a game some things just make my heart race. It's just annoying and sometimes stops me from doing stuff I want to do.

• Posted

My advice would be to relax and know that on the 25th of June you will be having another check up. If possible, just to further put your mind at ease if the next lot of results come back ok is to ask for a 24 hour monitor to be given to you to check your hearts activity. I can't watch any tense sports because it makes my heart beat too fast. I don't think you'd be able to run at all if your heart had a problem. Stress is a cunning fellow and can affect your body physically.

• Posted

I usually get palpitations after exercise or without any exercise, during exercise I usually feel fine, except for some chest pain which I've already talked about. It's just the fear of dying that is really freaking me out i guess, i feel like i won't make it until then or something bad will happen, although I thought this so many times and I'm still here, you never know what might happen.

• Posted

Hi Karolis

That's it probably that's causing your problems....fear of death. That's what you need to try and deal with. You probably have deep down the reason you have this fear. This will cause adrenalin to release and pump up your heart beat. Look for ways of dealing with this. Read books on the subject...have counselling...listen to you-tube Abraham Hicks and type in the topic..fear of Death you might find this useful and it's free.

I wish you a long life...which I'm sure you'll have! Enjoy the journey. Concentrate on what you want to do with this lovely life ahead that you have in front of you. Make a mood board and put pictures of the job you want the car you want etc. Concentrate on those thoughts and banish the others. I wish you a long, healthy and successful life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.