I'm afraid to leave my dogs while on vacation.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have 3 beautiful beagles. Two boys and a girl. My social anxiety keeps me from making friends, so they're pretty much all I have to keep me from getting lost in the mess that is my brain.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be going on vacation with my parents in two weeks. We're going to New York. I was excited until I realized that my dogs won't be coming with me (unless I convince my relatives otherwise.)

My grandparents are supposed to be coming over twice a day to feed them, let them out, etc. But I'm worried in the time frame that they're gone, someone will steal them. I've thought about sending them to a dog sitter my friend knows, but I heard a story a few weeks back of dogs getting lose while at a sitter. I'm also horribly afraid of my dogs being with complete strangers so a kennel is out of the question for me.

At this point it's either I don't go, or I do go and I freak out the entire time being worried about my dogs. I just don't know what to do and I wanted to vent/need advice.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

From experience, I've had to leave my best buddy at home (jack russel) which I always felt bad about for several days. I would usually call friends/relatives to let him out and give him food and water everyday. It's fine that you're going to miss them but don't worry about them being stolen. I talk from experience smile Go have fun they're loyal they'll wait. Don't worry.
  • Posted

In all honesty  my dogs are my world  i will go  anywhere  if i cant take them  with  me  so   no  i wouldnt go  on holiday   without them  its that simple for me  and those who know me  accept  this 
  • Posted

It is understandable you love your dogs, and you care for them, but times are there when you cant be with them. Since people will be coming to look after them, so go for vacation and you can call care takers daily and ask about your dogs.
  • Posted

hi

It's a difficult situation to be in.

I put my trust in someone who has 22 other dogs, she works at a vets and we have become reallygood friends.

If you feel strongly about it then no, you cannot go but remember, life is short; we only get one chance in life and maybe the holiday would do you good ??

Sometimes in life we have to take a leap of faith and maybe now is your time.

By the way, Love the beagles.

I have a basset, Beth.

She is my life but am happy to entrust her to others as long as I feel comfortable with them.

Good luck,

and, I say, take a chance.

Go.. x 😍🎈🐾💚❤️💋

• Posted

Hi, go on vacation send regular texts, all will be fine. The dogs may even enjoy the change also! I have pets and have sitters/people come to look after and they are always happy as larry when i get back! Its important for us to have breaks too ! smile Maybe set aside a time where you call and ask about your fur babies or worry about them but there is no need to worry 24/7 smile
  • Posted

Hi. I am a big big dog lover( had dogs all my life, a beautiful cocker spaniel presently, she's my no.1!) and suffer with social anxiety too. I'm lucky that I can leave her with parents or daughter when I go away and would never put her in kennels, like you. You must not worry about leaving them and don't miss a holiday. They will be fine. Don't dwell on it and look forward to your hols( it's your mind and you're in control of it, so make those thoughts go away and think of the positives of a holiday). Wish you lived in Derbyshire as I'd house sit or have them here with me and Maizy, my dog! If it was one dog I'd worry but they have each other so don't worry. Hope you have a great hols :-)
  • Posted

I have the same problem hun.

I have a budgie and he's really special to me. I only leave him if someone stays at my flat to care for him so he's not scared and disorientated.

People say he's only a budgie but he's so precious to me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.