I'm almost in my mid fifties, this past year or so my memory is getting worse, is this normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I first thought about it when I worked with someone and didn't realise that I'd met her earlier. Also can't find my words or names of people, things, places etc. Can't remember things I've done just recently. I'm worried it's some type of early dimensions but hope not. Anyone else experiencing similar or know what's causing this. Any suggestions welcome. ?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes the menopause can be to blame for "brain fog" and so can various autoimmune disorders. But why not dicuss it with your GP - there are simple tests that can establish if it is something to be concerned about and there are ways of helping.

• Posted

Hi Elaine, I got a bit like this when going through the menopause, (so did my sisters), it is a know side effect but if you think it has got a lot worse then I would go to my GP and talk it over with them.  I would do it to put my mind at rest if nothing else.  If it does turn out to be something more serious then the sooner you are diagnosed the better the treatment works.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies. I went through early menopause so been past that for about 7 years now. Il see how it goes for maybe another year. I'm very aware of it so il have to keep an eye on it & if it gets worse il have to see my GP for a memory test.

• Posted

I wouldn't wait for a year - it is only a simple conversation at first and the sooner you learn coping strategies the easier it will be. Plus it COULD be something else and that need to be looked at just in case.

• Posted

I too wouldn't wait.  I have a lot of brain fog but mine is due to CFS, (chronic fatigue syndrome), so I know the cause of mine!   The sooner you know the better as like I said if it is due to any form of dementia the sooner you get medication the better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.