I'm an Azathioprine old-timer!

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am almost 30 and have had ulcerative colitis for 17 years...when I was a teenager, I had a flare up every few weeks and-after countless courses of steroids-which left me riddled with side-effects and unable to live anything even close to a normal teenage life, my doctor put me on Azathioprine 14 years ago. I'm not saying it's been plain sailing, but I truly believe this drug got me through a very stressful undergrad degree at Oxford, a postgraduate degree and every day that I work in my dream job as a broadcast journalist.

Sadly, I have been on the drug so long, the honeymoon is all but over...I can't go out in the sunshine without breaking out in a fierce rash now, too much sunlight makes me so tired I could sleep for hours, I bruise black ad blue every time I sit down too hard and last year I had such severe shingles I still haven't properly recovered. For all that I now feel dizzy and sick most days, I know Azathioprine has given me a very good life these past 15 years. I'm probably going to have to stop taking it...bit would urge anyone deliberating over whether to start, to give it a go...of really is a wonder drug...temporarily at least! Good luck!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for that I feel muh better now. I have just started on a course of Azathioprine and was very hesitant about taking them. I've had a flare up of Crohns Disease after having an operation 10 years ago and being fine for 10 years. The side effects worried me a little but if they help with the pain I am currently having I'll persevere!
  • Posted

:cry: very sad been tacking azathioprine for 2 weeks for Crohns Disease now i am covered in spots head to toe felling very sick falling over fell like poo
  • Posted

[quote:15be6097a3=\"donna 123\"]Thanks for that I feel muh better now. I have just started on a course of Azathioprine and was very hesitant about taking them. I've had a flare up of Crohns Disease after having an operation 10 years ago and being fine for 10 years. The side effects worried me a little but if they help with the pain I am currently having I'll persevere![/quote:15be6097a3]

Hi Donna

After your operation 10 years ago up until the flare up, did you take any drugs at all for the chrones, my husband has justy had major surgery for extensive infected chrones 3 months ago and now the hospital have offered him Azathioprine and we are unsure of whether he needs/should take it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.