I'm assuming this is lactose intolerance?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I think I might be lactose intolerant, but I'm really not sure. There are certain foods that are likely to make me throw up if I have too much of them. I am most sensitive to coffee creamer. Certain types of macaroni and cheese are also pretty bad. Ice cream isn't as bad as those two unless I eat a lot of it.

The thing that is weird is that I can have a bowl of cereal (which clearly has milk...), or things with copious amounts of cheese, and it won't make me nearly as sick as those other three things do, even though I assume the lactose content is higher in a bowl of cereal than in one cup of coffee.

I never feel sick from it, I just throw up for a few hours. A tiny bit here and there, and it can be anywhere from five to even twenty times.

I also throw up if I eat too much in general, even if what I eat does not contain anything that would usually not make me throw up otherwise.

I throw up at least once a week.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If it were lactose intolerance it easily be tested for and you really do need to speak to your GP rather than self-diagnose. If milk with cereal doesn't have an effect it suggests that maybe there is something in the manufacturing process of the foods you do mention that might be a problem. Hard cheeses have far less lactose than soft ones which could be an answer there. But one cup of coffee shouldn't have that effect if it is lactose.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for the response. I didn't know this was something that could be tested. I thought that you just had to discover it on your own through trial and error!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.