I'm at a loss. Can anyone relate to my symptoms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Long post ahead. Thanks in advance to those who take the time to read it.

I'm in my early 20s, I've been sick for almost 4 years now. It all started after being intimate with someone new. I got a flu, then strong belly aches which led me to the hospital. A bit later, joint pain all over my body, and what seemed to be pain in the tendons/ligaments, not really the muscles themselves. I started having flairs, very intense periods of such pain all over my body but I was never completely painless any more even when not having a flair. Every movement made my shoulders and arms feel sore, I mostly noticed it when stretching and hanging clothes to dry. It's never been as harsh on my legs, the soreness has always mostly affected my back, arms and shoulders.

Then tremors, mainly on the left side of my body. Very sudden and unnatural body temperature changes, random pins and needles and numbness. Muscle spasms became more frequent but were never painful. Watery eyes with a burning sensation, blurred vision once in a while, dull pain behind the eyes.

Skin issues. Random redness on my face, sensitivity to the sun and the heat, red blemishes on my face and sudden acne.

Exhaustion. Just never feeling rested no matter how much sleep I get. Lower tolerance to exercise. Brain fog occasionally. Night sweats occasionally.

Then morning stiffness. Dizziness. Extreme pain on my back. Recurrent digestive issues, with stomach ache, bloating, new food intolerances, frequent nausea, either I don't defecate for a week straight or I do it twice a day, no in-between, but the former happens more often than the latter. I've been to the doctor several times due to the severe back pain and digestive issues, they always say it's gastroenteritisbut I think it must be related to everything else.

Please note this has happened over time, 4 years like I said at the start. I listed symptoms by order of appearance.

I went to a rheumatologist 2 years ago who said it's fibromyalgia, gave me supplements and called it a day. I took them, didn't get better only kept getting worse as time went by. A few months ago I went to my general doctor and she dismissed my symptoms, said I was just depressed and should see a therapist. I felt so defeated and just never went to the doctor again. I'm not depressed, I have an incredible life and the only thing holding me back is this health problem. So I guess I'm just looking for some clarity here because I won't be able to heal until I know what's affecting me.

Does this sound like fibromyalgia at all? All these symptoms?

I was always healthy before all this.

I did get tested for STDs and I'm clean, I'm even a blood donor. So yeah I don't know.

Once again thank you so much for having read this, for any comments and suggestions. Stay healthy and safe.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

this really does sound like fibromyalgia, as soon as I started reading it was the first thing I thought before I even see you mention it, unfortunately it's not curable and it's for life but with the right meds you can manage it. I'm currently going through similar, they are getting my anxiety under control first and if the symptoms dont lift then fibromyalgia is the road I'm looking at, I get horrible pains / muscle spasms in my neck, back, arms, shoulders and chest. all tests keep coming up clear, its very scary. if you have Facebook search for a group called fibromyalgia uk. it's a white and purple logo picture. so many people on there and you'll read alot of what you've said here and can get advice too xx

• Posted

Hi Sophie, thank you so much for your reply. I hope you're doing well and wish you the best, sorry for the late reply but I forgot I had posted to this forum!

• Posted

hi how is you B vitamins , do you take any , like B12, folate , maybe just a few weeks taking them might just help . good luck Scarlet

• Posted

hi how is you B vitamins , do you take any , like B12, folate , maybe just a few weeks taking them might just help . good luck Scarlet

• Posted

sounds exactly like it .. its like its the illness that keeps on giving as time goes on i found i get more n more symptoms and as youve said no day is pain free just different levels of pain i take gabapentin which was helping with pain bit not so much it does however leasen the severity of the spasm ( ive not injured myself or fell outnof bed in a while )

i really do feel for you to ab this condition at auch a young age

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.