I'm back ! Other knee TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, some of you may remember me from my various contributions around 18 months ago. I had a TKR postponed due to AF and then a gall bladder issue!! The knee got done reasonably successfully and eventually the gall bladder was removed with great success.

I am now in that dreaded second week of my second TKR (12days). Seems to be worse than other though I thought it would be better. Maybe because my AF means that because I am on an anti-coagulant I can no longer have Ibuprofen to supplement the Co-Codomel. That's all I've got with Gabapentene which is about to end. Despite the worse aching generally my biggest issue is a tight and quite painful calf muscle which is tender when prodded and this massive pins and needles cum burning pain down my knee and back of calf on first standing. Does ease after a couple of minutes but I know it is making me get up less. Exercises painful at this stage but just about coping. It is the sharp pain in my calf that is worrying me and hindering me at his stage. Anyone else had this? The nurses and doctors don't think it's DVT but I'm not convinced although I've never had it.

All the best from a somewhat fed up Dave sad

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Welcome back Dave! I remember you from when I 1st started on here!

Sorry you've had all the other probs too. AF all sorted now?

Yep no2 is totally different to no1! Luckily my no2 had proved to be better than the 1st! Just the way it goes I suppose! But the right knee (1st one done) is now playing up a bit! You never seem to win with knees!!

I was discharged on CoCodamol too & found in those early days I was taking them every 4 hours!! I did have Naproxen to take but waited until after I stopped taking the blood thinners, for obvious reasons!

Good luck on this 2nd TKR journey. We're all with you.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thanks to all the well wishers, fellow sufferers and wisdom from Chico et al. This community thing helped last time in both directions and hopefully this time. It looks like this one is going to be a bit by bit slow improvement unlike the step changes of last time. I'm  certain this is due to lack of pain control. I have been very lucky today to visit a new Physiotherapist who has started a practice just around the corner and comes highly recommended. She was the best one I have ever seen so far.  Very realsitic and caring and doing a lot of massage work on the muscles and soft tissues to try and relax them. That felt wonderful (temporarily) in itself). She had a lot of experience of TKT's and thought I was average for what she had seen at this early stage. WIth the exercises she is a believer in frequent smaller amounts and not trying to go through the pain barrier as this sets the brain in a  negative frame of mid - something I fully agree with.

Clips are out  now and the healing looks ok. Onwards and forwards,

Dave

x

• Posted

Well just over 4 weeks in now and I have to say slow but steady improvements. Thankfully the searing pain and pins and needles in my calf has gradually faded and has now pretty much gone. Calf and shin still very tender though. This is likely due to the trauma from the straightening process i think. Can walk with one crutch and a few small steps without. GP gave me a drug called amitriptylene which has helped me sleep a bit better. Range of movement will always be a problem for me but can do 90 deg quite easily and a tad more with forcing and is pretty straight. Generally achy everywhere but no real acute pain anymore so getting there slowly :-)

Dave

• Posted

Ahh, now there you have hit the nail right on the head! NHS physios do not lay a hand on you unless they are checking the muscle contraction during an exercise. They simply check you are doing key exercises correctly!

I totally agree with your physio, it's what I have been advocating on here, exercise should be quality not quantity! Do a few well, rather than loads of reps badly!

Good luck for your ongoing recovery.

Any more pearls of wisdom from your physio please pass on, on this forum.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Well not all pearls of wisdom - she did tell me her husband was a West Ham season ticket holder and I know how painful that can be as my grandsons are!cheesygrin She did tell me about some good prescription eyedrops for hayfever though. A very nice lady. Worth £35 just for the chat.

I feel I am slowly recovering now coming up to three weeks but it is literally a painful slow gain. Still no ideas about the calf pain and searing burning/pins and needles on first standing but someone else had it on another forum. They've told me what it isn't but not what it is!

Dave

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.