I'm being told I have a hernia

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm worried because although I'm 66 I weight train. My hernia is right down low over my pubic bone to the right. I will have to have an ultrasound to confirm but don't know whether I can still train.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Shirley,

That is a question for your doctor.  My guess would be no more training.  You do not want to make it worse.

• Posted

The advice I was given when diagnosed with an inguinal hernia, aged 79, about lifting in general (not weight training) was that it wouldn't make the hernia worse or increase the risk of strangulation, but that it might become painful by the end of the day. So I was advised to moderate my activities depending on how I felt rather than any rule about not lifting. But I agree with gregg you should ask your doctor because everyone's different. I still swim several km each week so there's no problem keeping fit with a hernia anyway!

• Posted

Thankyou very much. I am doing baby weights so as not to make it worse and also sitting to do most exercises ! It's really annoying but hopefully when I've had an ultrasound I will be able to know what I will be able to do.

• Posted

I would discontinue heavy lifting until you see a surgeon. I would recommend Dr. Robert Tomas, he's a very skilled surgeon who performs no mesh hernia repair and mesh removal. He offers free consults so it's definitely worth the call. 239.243.8222

• Posted

Well I live in northampton and I don't know where this guy is ? Presume he's in England ?

• Posted

He is based in Ft. Myers, Florida in the US. He is the only surgeon in the US doing this type of procedure. He has a less than 1%recurrence rate and performed well over 2000 repairs. It's worth a call to his office if nothing else. He has patients fly to see him from all over the world daily. His staff is amazing and even helps with travel arrangements. Call and ask for BJ, she's great. 239.243.8222

• Posted

Haha! I doubt that the NHS would cover flying to the USA to see one of your ultra-expensive doctors.

I’m in a similar position to the OP. Have just been diagnosed with a femoral hernia and have to go for an ultrasound. I’m 70 and go to the gym a couple of times a week, and do aquafit. The doctor told me there was no reason not to continue but to avoid anything too strenuous. Weights should be okay if they aren’t too heavy.

• Posted

I would check that out wouldn’t of thought you can weight train for a while, even after the operation you might make things worse. Ask your GP or surgeon just in case. 
  • Posted

Thankyou all for the advice. Go to consultant tomorrow so will find out more !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.