I'm confused??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys I'm new to this forum so would like to start off by introducing myself.

My name is Gary and I'm 29 years of age.

I had smoked for around 13 years and have been smoke free for 7 months now.

I wasn't a heavy smoker around 10-15 a day but I liked to drink once or twice a week so I would end up smoking a lot more on these occasions.

Iv been to see my doctor many times regarding COPD symtoms but my GP Has put my symtoms down to my asthma which iv had mildly most of my life.

Iv done 2 spirometry and a chest X-ray and all seems good but I have atleast 2 symtoms of COPD I'm really confused lol

I use inhalers the standered blue reliever one and fostair (pink) which when I use don't seem to help.

Iv just been put on montelukast yesterday do I'm hoping they help.

My doctor says there is nothing wrong with my lungs apart fro my asthma but I'm not so sure?

All the best guys :-)

T

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary,

By the sound of things your doctor is probably correct and you've done the most important thing in stopping smoking, especially as you were already asthmatic.

You are still fairly young an so long as you listen to the doctors advice and attend any medicals/referrals they send you for. You will be in the best hands, I'm not saying you won't get problems in later life but you will have given yourself the best path through any future problems.

I have suffered breathing problems all my life and I'm now diagnose with Copd as well as various other problems compounding the issue. Until recently I have kept on top of everything and enjoyed things many would be amazed at without any major problems.

So keep off the smoking do regular exercise not of the right arm variety although occasional use of the right arm is allowed. I'm sure you'll be fine. All the best hope this settles a few worries

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply

I will anything to ease my symtoms, I play football twice a week plus go on run in between all that,although I do get out of breath quite easily but I put that down to smoking forany years.

It's a very daunting thing not being able to breathe sometimes and can feel like your alone.

One thing is certain I will never touch another cigarette again! And I would anyone who smokes to give them up before it's to late.

Take care

• Posted

Hello,

as i see your problem,it's not a COPD. It is a warning to stop smoking, as your doctor said do like that and do 30 min exercise daily and it will help and after 6 month your lungs will recover.

So don't worry and stop smoking.

take care

Dr.Girivar

• Posted

Hi Dr Girivar

Thanks for the reply

The reason I thought it might be COPD is I have a bloating feeling right where my diaphragm is and iv had that for over year, an a wheeze when I force exhale also I got out of breath fairly easy.

I'm also aware of my breathing even at rest?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.