I'm confused

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had the big D for two weeks now, I don't have a clue what I am suppose to eat and not to eat, I assked my doctor who never answered my question but told me some people just get it and has nothing to do with lack of fiber in diet, as I'm also diabetic he was more interested in giving me an extra tablet as being ill affected my sugar levels, I just finished two courses of antibiotics and got a big box of Laxido to take as and when needed, I still feel sick on a daily basis I find I lack any get up and go, I feel like 80 but am 57 I read you must not eat red meat nuts and seeds ii wish my doctor told me about what I should and shouldn't eat, will I always feel like this? How can I help myself to a better path. Everything I read that you should eat I do ( sugar free) I don't know where to start

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi bethia,

I can't offer much advice as I'm new to this too. I bought an ebook on amazon for 2.99! And it helped me understand the diet a bit more.

It's called "The Diverticulitis Diet: It's Time to Start Feeling Better!" by Kris Hammond

Another inexpensive book is: "The Diverticulitis Diet Guide" by Monika Shah

Check them out on amazon. They are pretty good reads

• Posted

They never seem to fill us in on the do s and don't I have just guessed certain things have made me worse.i was told basically during a flare up don't have laxitves or any of the good stuff you normally eat fruit etc but to stick to clear soup jelly ice lollies and when not in a flare up eat fruit veg etc but avoid red meat etc nuts etc chew until broken up

• Posted

The firtst thing you need to do is rest the bowel. Go on a clear liquid diet for 2/3days and rest -stay in bed if possible. The introduce solids slowly with easily digested liw fibre food ( you can find low fibre diets online) . Avoid NSAID pain killers like Ibuprofen as they make the condition worse. Chew food very thoroughly and drink lots of water. When you recover you need to keep a food diary to see what foods trigger twinges. Insoluble fibre found i wholegrain products can make things worse if eaten in large quantities as they produce larger stools that distend the colon. The soluble fibre in fruit and veg is better. I find that probiotics , turmeric and aloe vera juice helps.
  • Posted

If you are diabetic you know no sugar. I am not and still went sugar free in everything and personally felt better when I also did not have natural sugars either as those antibiotics (two courses also) affect yeast growth and sugar feeds them.  If you are off antibiotics hopefully the doctor suggested probiotics specific to the gut and large bowel.  It may take a week or two to progress. I ate one food at a time and then wait so you can see how you react even though it seemed I eat every two hours.  FOr a few weeks eggs, chicken, avacado, cooked seedless zucchini, celery and a little rice and g free pasta work well for me along with 4 bottles of water a day.  My splurge?  Sugar free pudding.  But six weeks out I am now trying more vegies.  Go slow, keep a food diary and see how you react to each food as you eat one at a time.  Healthy sugar free eating is possible those first few weeks!
  • Posted

I not sure how to use forum and useless on computers but I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who me by explaining so much to me, I will do more research on this and many others things you have told me I appreciate it very much indeed and I hope I have managed to get this on forum too. Thank you all kindly
  • Posted

Sounds like my doctor!! He was never really forthcoming on how I should manage this but stay away from popcorn, corn, fruits with seeds, veggies w seeds and nuts!! So, I started a food diary. Everything I put in my mouth I documented and if it didn't agree with me, I stopped eating it. I got on a good probiotic, I bought a Nutra Bullet and started juicing. I stay away from red meat, make sure my veggies are cooked and chew everything slowly! If I feel my left side start getting achy I do all liquids for a day or two, then start bland for a couple days. Having this is manageable! Keep your spirits up!!!

• Posted

Hi Bethia

I've had Diverticular Disease for 15 years and also have to follow a low sugar/carb diet, as I control my blood sugar with diet.  I've read all your replies and the one thing that helped me has not been mentioned here.  My diet nurse suggested I cut out gluten from my diet, as far as possible.  I switched to gluten free bread, pasta and other sugar/gluten free products, plus reduced my portion sizes.  I am mostly pain and bloat free, but when I do occasionally have gluten, I pay for it within a few hours.  I also take a daily liquid natural fibre supplement, Fybogel.  Otherwise I mostly stick to the advice offered here - lots of fluids, daily probiotics, grilled or baked chicken or fish (not fried), steamed rice.  I make a lot of vegetable soup, which I blend, plus eat puree vegetables as a mash, like carrot, swede, parsnips and potatoes, so I get my good fibre that way.  I have learned to recognise what causes a flare up by trial and error.

As for feeling better, the antibiotics do knock the stuffing out of you even after stopping them.  It does take time but you should slowly start feeling better and regain your energy.  The pain can linger on for a time, slowly reducing as your insides heal.  I learned what actions triggered the pain - in my case it was bending over in certain directions for things like housework and gardening, so I now take extra care.  I also try and do gentle exercise like walking in my local woods every day.

I find I can live a normal life now I have worked out the changes to my lifestyle and diet and I hope you can too.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Felicia, my daughter has to be gluten free and I did wonder if I should try it to, it's no fun having this never mind being diabetic, so far I have had 6 blood test and more next week, now they worried about my weight, I lost half a stone in eleven days only for them to tell me no, you lost a stone. ( Whoops) must of read scales wrong, my tummy is tender but sometimes like a volcano going off, I got some proboscis as mentioned on here, I now have all bran for breakfast, toast for dinner , that's on wholemeal bread my main meals in evening are very light like, soup,a baked potato with beans, scrabbled egg on toast or pilchards, only time I eat a small cooked meal is Sunday, it's not I don't want to eat more cooked meals it's just my tummy don't want it so I pick now, maybe an apple ginger or peppermint tea, I am coming on slowly not sure about next week as I return to work and mornings are not the best time of day for me,

• Posted

I too lost quite a bit of weight at first, 10 pounds in 8 days, but now I have a routine I am back to normal.  My typical day starts with the probiotic drink, then porridge with skimmed milk and sweetener for breakfast, 300ml home made soup (no bread) for lunch (today was squash and red pepper) and a small meal of vegetable puree with grilled chicken and a steamed green veggie for dinner tonight.  I have my "sweet treat" of sugar free jelly made up with fat free yogurt, or I make an egg custard.  When my tummy plays up I lay on a recliner with a hot water bottle on the sore part and that does help.  I also get through 6 - 8 mugs of decaffeinated tea or herbal tea and apart from that only drink water.  My last attack started in August and I have only been mostly pain free in the last couple of weeks, so it does take time.  On bad days I, like others, reverted to mostly fluids.  As you improve you will hopefully gain in confidence and be able to expand your foods.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Felina,

My husband is a physical therapist and I read your response to him as I have stated the same about moving and bending.  He explains that the psosas and illiacus muscles which act as the basket that hold our organs may be the culprit as well as visceral fascia.  You may wish to research trigger points and stretches for these two muscles. There are even articles discussing gi issue with these two. I know you are a veteran with managing this but maybe yhis will help you too.    

• Posted

Many thanks for the information.  I'll do my research and ask my physio for exercises.  I'm also looking to do pelvic floor exercises for stress incontinence - the bane of older ladies.  Hope the two don't clash!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.