I'm confused, does the prostate tend to grow and grow or does it reach the size and stop growing?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had progressive BPH symptoms for the last year and a half. I seem to have a bit more retention. Though I am not taking any medication for it. I am trying to every holistic method I can find.

I am confused, Would my condition progressively get worse. In other words would the prostate grow and grow until it grows into the bladder or completely cuts off the urethra?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

In short yes. The prostate is like weed and keeps on growing. Mine got to 135 grms but we have had reports of ones over 300grms. 
    • Posted

There are 8-10 "official" causes for BPH, not including the two others that I'm aware of.

The guy who wrote Healthy Prostate has 240g that was shrunk, he sez on YT (lots of views, and positive votes), quickly by direct injection of antibiotic + herbs on the prostate, in a prostate specialty clinic in China.  Luckily, he's an old hand in China, being a Harvard biz type.

• Posted

There are plenty of Chinese clinics in the West if you want to try one.

The herbal medicine shops in China are amazing places.

• Posted

Your growth will depend on what you do, what you eat, how you defecate/pee (position), and even breath.

Look up many studies via Dr. Greger(?) book, How To Not Die, and other sources that I've posted here.

To me, "Nothing Is Impossible".  

I don't let Limiting Beliefs.get in my way of good health.

• Posted

" how you defecate/pee (position), and even breath"

That sounds very unlikely. Perhaps diet has an influence but Hormones are the answer

• Posted

"Would my condition progressively get worse. In other words would the prostate grow and grow until it grows into the bladder or completely cuts off the urethra?"

Ans:yes , but not everyone has a large medium lobe that grow into the bladder. regardless, the BPH overgrown tissue will constrict the urethra, which will progressively become narrower overtime, eventually completely blocked if not treated. If left untreated, the bladder could be damaged due to it has to generate larger and larger pressure to force the urine out. The homone tells the prostate keep growing.

just my 2 cents and it may not be correct.

• Posted

The scientific approach to alleviate ur concern  is

1) find a good urologist who is cAring and one whom u could trust

2) do a 3D ultrasound of the prostate (TRUS ) to determine the size and medium lobe situation

3) do a cystoscopy and let your uro look at ur prostatic urethra and bladder to examin how serious is the blockage and whether the bladder has suffered any damAge

4) with the above results, u will be at a better position to decide whT to do next.

i would not believe any miracle cure. Believe in science and trust trial results  would be my recommendation.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for that. Other than surgery would the only way to stop the prostate from growing would it be medication like Tamsulosin? I find the the side effects of taking these drugs is not tolerable. However Tamsulosin does seem to help with the bpH symptoms when I have tried it. So I really don't want to use medication.

• Posted

The only way to stop it from growing is to have it taking out all together but that comes with it own problem.  What you need to do is try something for a year and see if your prostate grows.  You may be the type that it grows slow.  A lot of things you can try to stop it  But we never know.  Ken
    • Posted

If u care about your prostate and bladder which govern the ability to urinate and if ur insurance will pay, i suggest u consider doing the tests I suggested otherwise u will never find out what causes ur symptom and u are shooting in the dark and will not know what are the true underlying causes for your problem.

When we go to see an urologist and complain about our symptoms, his nurse will ask us to fill out a questionaire which is known as IPSS. From the IPSS score, the uro immediately knows the patient is suffering from BPH.

The most logical fist step is to treat the patient with drug because it is the cheapest and because it is the easiest for  patients to accept as All BPH surgeries are rather invasive, expensive and have complications.  It is well known that there are two classes of drugs that treat BPH. The first class relaxes the muscle near the urethra and as a result, the flow of urine is stronger. This is the drug u are taking or took. The second class of drug suppress the hormone that tells the prostate to grow. U could give it a shot to see if it works for u.

The drug works for some and does not work for some and for some it has serious side effect. For those the drug works, some take it for years. Eventually taking the drug for too long takes it toll and they opt for a surgery that offer longer term relief.  This seems to be ur experience as well. This drug I suspect offers only minor relief. For example, if the Qmax (max flow rate in mL/sec) is 8, perhaps the drug may increase to 9-610 because Qmax for Urolift is typically about 13. This is just my guess.

What I worry is that even those  for whom the drug works, the urethra is still (severely) constricted, the bladder still has to exert a greater force or pressure than normal in order to push the urine out of the penis. When that happens over a long time, the muscle inside the bladder called Detrusor muscle (smooth muscle) in order to be able to apply greater force it becomes strengthen and bigger in size, this is called tribeculation(?). When that happens, I believe the bladder loses some of its elasticity.  U could see the tribeculation (.) if u watch YouTube video of TURP,  Before the operation, the surgeon normally uses a scope to examine the bladder. U will see the big fat muscle strips whiter in color.  This is what happens to me. This is the consequence for waiting for too long to seek surgical correction. I wish I knew this earlier.

When drugs don't work or one does not want to take drug or the drug has bad side effects the remaining option is surgical correction. I don't know of any other magic cure. Perhaps other members do.

What I said above may not be correct. Other members could correct me. If you are interested in having surgery, u could ask the members of this forum for their opinions and their favorite surgeries.

Hope it helps

• Posted

More:

For BPH patients, the range of prostate is 25-800cc. 800 probably is the world record. The more realistic range is 25-215cc. The larger the prostate the more severe the complications and also takes longer time to heal. Age increases the complication rate and its severity as expected.

Unless u do the tests, u will never know the danger u are in. 

• Posted

More:

most patients who slected surgery had an average prostate size of about 50-65cc. A prostate of 80cc is consider very large as it is outside the ability of TURP which is (or used to be) the gold standard for BPH. A protate larger than 100cc in the old days would required open prostectomy. The largest prostate that had been operated on is 800cc.

hope I answered ur question. 

• Posted

If you surf Dr Greger's Nutrition Facts, you'll find his statement that flax is apparently as effective as meds in shrinking enlarged prostates.  Yes, shrinking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.