I'm curious...

Posted , 11 users are following.

Guys, I don't believe this...

I don't know how many of you are familiar with me; I have been on here for a couple of months now, making posts and talking about my Mirtazapine experience. Now, recently, I have decided to begin slowly coming off the drug, because I am not happy with it and the things it's doing to my body. 

Now, I have health anxiety; I'm slowly beginning to reign it in, but it's still there. So, the smallest things startle me and send me off the boil. Recently, I went to my GP because I have been suffering with pains in my... wait for it, there's a list... my forearms, my wrists, my hands, my fingers, the joints in my fingers; I have a shoulder that has been messed up for months, and refuses to get better. I get sore legs, sore knees, feet, and all this time I have been thinking... I am going bonkers; I'm going absolutely bonkers.

I had convinced myself I had Fibromayalga, which is highly unlikely, given that I am 27 years old, and a man. The doctor looked at me as if I had sprouted a second head. Anyway, the doctor diagnosed some things he thought it might be - Tennis Elbow, Tendonitis, slight muscle inflammation, or simply just my body being stiff and tense from being anxious so frequently.

Now, recently, I looked up the side effects of Mirtazapine, and low and behold, some topics from this very site came up and there were people going through exactly what I am going through. Granted, those threads were from quite some time ago; we're talking years ago. So, I decided to post this, to see if there are any members currently on here that have experienced or are currently experiencing these kinda symptoms.

I'm referring, mostly, to joint and muscle pain (my muscles also twitch quite frequently).

So... anybody with me?

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi David, I hope you are still around. how are you these days? I read through your old posts. your story mirrors mine. I have exactly the same symptoms as you had on mirta. how did the story end, did you get rid of the symptoms? I have terrible pain in my forearms and palms and fingers. GP said tennis elbow. but on both sides, does not up up in my opinion. Every day the pain seems to get worse. I do not know what to do as i depend on mirta. Please get in touch.

• Edited

I know this is an older post, but add me to the choir on this. I absolutely could’ve written this post myself. Also considered fibromyalgia. Having done more research there are more than a few people who reported the same types of symptoms, including people who were told they had fibromyalgia only for their symptoms to ultimately resolve after discontinuing Remeron.

• Edited

wow wow, are you still on it? I am now down to 4mg per day. -Cannot wait to be done with this toxic medication. I could swear it is related to this medication. I am worried about the withdrawals symptoms though. But the physical pain got so bad, I rather deal with the anxiety i took the medication initially for. you also have elbow and knee pain?

• Edited

One other thing I wanted to point out to you, in doing my research there was a comment from a guy who thought he had fibromyalgia, turned out to be the Remeron.

I cut the 7.5‘s in half, but frankly I don’t think I plan to taper very long because the pain is just too much. I know the risk of the serious withdrawals, but I’m in such agony now I would like to know sooner rather than later if that gets better and then deal with the rest.

The outside of my elbows, both of them, started to ache, and the inside of my elbows/forearms feel like they are on fire. I don’t have tendinitis or tennis elbow, it simply doesn’t make sense, especially being that it is happening in both of them! Pain in both my knees. never had issues with my knees before. And although I have a lot of spinal issues, the pain I’m experiencing now is far worse than I ever did, even with the arthritis and disc issues.

it will take some time with the discontinuation symptoms and everything else, but the timing of this and how widespread it is, I believe it is due to this medication. Having had so many other tests I believe this is it. Plus the more I looked into it the more I found out it is NOT uncommon. As I also said in another comment, for people who take antihistamines it could be worse, and I do take Allegra.

This issue of joint pain, muscle pain, burning sensations is far more common than the usual symptoms you hear about with this medication. I even looked around on Reddit and found a lot of this issue of joint pain, muscle pain, burning sensations is far more common than the usual symptoms you hear about with this medication. Posts with people who discontinued it due to terrible wrist, arm and leg pain.

I know this is not going to be a fun ride, but my hope is once I get through it, however long it takes, some of these other issues resolve! I wish the same for you. I know this medication works wonderfully for some, but it clearly is not for me.

• Edited

it is a shame that we have to go through this. Even writing here is causing me a lot of arm and wrist pain. I am done with this medication within the next 10 days. skipping every second day already. Anxiety already through the roof. but the the thing that keeps me going is the prospect of the pain going away once the medicine is out of the system. Painkillers do not work at all, the only thing I have found the bring 1-2 hours relief is by applying DMSO, which is absorbed by the skin quickly. I hope we both see better days soon. This medicine should be banned!

• Posted

SAME. last night I had a back spasm that took my breath away, and the pain in my forearms and wrists is awful. Along with all the burning sensations.

As you say, I am hopeful it is this medication that set all of this off and that while it might take some time it would be amazing if this pain resolved, then we will know for certain it was this medication.

The nausea and increase in nervousness is no joke, and I realize it’s likely to get much worse before it gets any better, but if it is this medication that has wreaked havoc on my body I need off of it.

What is DMSO? Tylenol does nothing, and anti-inflammatories cause my stomach issues and I’m already dealing with enough of that.

good luck, hope you will keep us posted!

• Edited

I am sure it is related to this drug at least most of the pain we experience. I am not expecting to go to the gym anytime soon, but at least this unbearable pain needs to go. I am only watching Netflix all day long at this stage. all activities cause pain. including brushing teeth, using smartphone etc!

I use this one available from amazon, Dmso Cream With Aloe Vera. it works really as short term pain relief

We will get through this!

• Posted

update, so on Monday I was at my doctor and he said its fine to stop immediately at 4mg I was. Switched to gabapentin 900mg per day. So far no Withdrawal symptoms except insomnia. pain in knees already away. elbow also much better. But still hand and arm pain intensively. evil drug

• Edited

Hi David,

I think I can currently relate to how you feel regarding anxiety and the use of mirtazapine. I was diagnosed with GAD at the end of August 2020, after 4 separate episodes of relapsing into having some form of serious illness. I had already been through multiple tests to prove nothing was wrong then my GP reached his conclusion. I started on a week of 7.5mg of Mirtazapine then increased to 15mg. I felt better quite quickly and would say I coped well with the medication and anxiety until 2021. My dose was increased to 30mg and about 3 weeks ago I requested to come back down to 15mg as I was really quite groggy in the morning and struggling to rise. However, lately the last 4-5 days I've noticed muscle weakness in my thighs and calves mainly but occasionally in my forearms too. I also had a few days worth of little electric shock type sensations mostly in my fingers, toes and joints. Dizziness is another issue, and in return my anxiety is quite bad in the morning. I believe, or hope, that what I'm going through is linked to the change in medication. I try not to use google or else that will just send more negative thoughts into my head and have me fearing I have something really bad. I must note I've also in the last week started up using my bike again and doing yoga/stretching so there's a chance I'm pushing my body too much too soon. I've been seeing a chiropractor too as I was suffering from tension headaches, my neck needs some serious work.

• Edited

How long you been on Mirtazapine (sorry if its somewhere in this thread)?

See my post about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Mirtazapine causes all sorts of weird stuff to go on..

• Posted

It really does. More than many doctors realize .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.