I'm depressed

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm only 28 and I was diagnosed with LS last week. The dermatologist gave me dermatoven and another ointment. He told me that the results could be seen after 2 weeks. I really don't know for how long I have been having LS... my genital skin have white patches and it has become dry and thin. I'm still a virgin and I really took up the courage to see the dermatologist. I'm really depressed and scared reading all the post and pictures. He suggested to do a biopsy test if I don't respond to the ointment. I am having anxiety of having cancer if i'm asked to do biopsy test. I feel so stupid at times as why I didn't realized it earlier and why this is happening to me. I'm crying every night for the last 5 days and wanted to share my story. How would I know after 2 weeks that it has gotten better? Will the white patches be gone after 2 weeks or is it just the itching?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't think it would be better after two weeks what works for one doesnt always work for another I would have the biopsy done I've just had my second one done because the first was Inconclusive I'm currently waiting for results done be depressed about it and I could relive the itching firstly I think

• Posted

Welcome to this forum Samurai. Initial diagnosis is always a shock and you

should not feel stupid or embarrassed about not realising you had the

condition. If you read through all the posts, you will see that some of us

had it for years before seeking help. In my experience following initial treatment,

the skin whitening did not diminish much at all. I wasn't sure whether or not

things were improving. I do know now that there are several things to be aware of.

The itching should cease, the skin is less friable, meaning it will not tear so easily.

Burning and general discomfort diminish. Everyone is different and some people

respond quicker than others. Having a biopsy gives peace of mind and although

a little uncomfortable it is worth it. Cancer is rare and stress is bad for the condition

so try not to worry. Take control, follow your treatment plan, keep researching and keep

an eye on this site. We all support each other and some women have so much knowledge

and experience. You will get through this and learn how to manage it and lead a full and normal life.

Take care of yourself and keep in touch.

• Posted

Sorry Sakura, your name came out wrong.😦

• Posted

Don't despair girl, you'll be okay. Use the ointment as recommended and see I found it improves. You should not suffer. And don't worry about cancer. . .just keep in contact with your physician. I first had symptoms in my 20s and for whatever reason the LS went into remission and no problems until my late 50s. That is possible. If not you can be in charge of this skin disorder and live normal life. But you have to be in charge in other words use the recommended treatment and keep monitoring it. Don't feel alone. We are here with you trying to figure it out. Some people think diet, anxiety etc play into any flare ups. So take care and don't despair. Learn what you can. My understanding is that the steroid medication will help prevent any skin deterioration turning into cancer. Talk to your doctor. Let us know how you're doing.

• Posted

FYI. My biopsy came back non conclusive because I think they took sample from area in side not the vulva. I didn't do a second. It may be very painful to have biopsy of this tender area so maybe the diagnosis is correct without the biopsy. Hopefully the ointment will be effective in relieving your symptoms. There is no cure only treatment.

• Posted

The area on side where hair is not the vulva. Correction to above comment...
  • Posted

I feel so sorry for you. This is a condition that can be treated with the cream he gave you. Don't be so afraid of cancer as there is less then a 5% chance of ever contracting that. I have read that young people can offen go into a remission because your natural estrogen can help your body eventually heal. The cream should help with the itch and improve the texture of your skin. Reduce your stress. Stress is really bad for this. Please don't cry and try not to worry.You have alot of sisters out here with the same problem. Take care God bless.

• Posted

Dear Sakura

Try not to be upset, it's better you know that it is LS than not knowing.  You can use other products to reduct itching and dryness.   I posted some information recently.   Firstly, don't use any 'standard' soaps/shower gels.  There is one called Dermoil 200 Emolient; it's for dry skin conditions - my gynaecologist said to use it.  She also advised that baths with a few drops of lavender oil added are good.   You should also try and get Epaderm ointment.  This is not a steroid cream but it keeps the area moist and helps prevent fusing.   Also having a steroid cream to use when you have extreme itching/flare ups is helpful.  I think it would be helpful for you to use dilators - even the smallest ones.   Why not go to a female doctor and discuss this with her?  

You shouldn't be worrying about cancer.  The bioposy might be to confirm that it is LS?   I had a bioposy done two years after I first went to a doctor - and it was only after the biopsy that LS was diagnosed. I think you need to understand that LS is a condition that needs to be managed; it won't go away but don't let it get you down!   You can control it.

I hope you are feeling better,

Best wishes,

Ashley Jo

• Posted

PS Having a biopsy is not painful.  I had my completed under local anesthetic and didn't feel anything.    Don't worry about it you will be fine.... good luck, Ashley Jo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.