I'm depressed, my mother has cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm very depressed, my mom 87 years, has Lymphoma cancer, it keeps getting bigger, swollen and very painful. I had carpal tunnel released on the 9th, I'm still have the bandage, my surgeon said to keep them until my appointment with her on the 19th, is that ok to keep the bandages all these days?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear about your mum.

I had my big bandage on for 10days they said it minimises the risk of infection. So don't worry about it even though it's inconvenient.

Louise.

• Posted

Thank you very much Indigogirlu. I appreciate everyone's comments and advises.

• Posted

I'm so very sorry about your Mom, I hope CHEMO works for her to shrink the cancer.  Every doctor is different with their post op instructions.  I removed my own dressings after a week and applied "Mederma" to reduce the scars and just put a bandaid over my surgery sites.  Sometimes the bandages will have to be changed if they have a lot of drainage on them and if so, just try to re do what the doctor or nurses did when you had your surgery. The main thing is to not get infection in your wounds, plus you need something to absorb any drainage from your wounds until they have healed over enough that there is no longer any drainage...sometimes that can be up to 10 days or more.  I love Mederma and my scars are so minimal and I had used it before on other scars, it works great to reduce the scaring.  You do have to put a large bandaid over your wound just to keep the Mederma in place if you choose to use that.  But a little antibiotic ointment would not hurt anything and keep the scar soft and therefore helps with healing of the wound.  I hope your Mom gets the help she needs and reduces her pain.

• Posted

Hi. So sorry to hear about your mum. I'm sure your hand will be fine. It's very important to keep it dry as well until stitches are out which is usually around 10 days. Some surgeons say slightly different things. I woUlf go with what you've been told to do. If you have any concerns contact them. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.