I'm desperate for advise on anxiety and agoraphobia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with depression anxiety and agoraphobia for about 4 years now. I'm in a vicious circle because when I have been to the doctors all there answer is is therapy but they don't understand that I can't bring myself to go to them. I have tried so many times but just walk out. I moved house in September and had to change doctors, since moving I have got a lot better before I would sleep all day from my daughter going to school until she got home I wouldn't leave the house and would sit in total darkness now I do go out in the day only if someone is with me and I feel a lot happier. The problem is I haven't dared go to my new doctors about it I'm so embarrest about sitting going through it all again and whenever I try to talk about it I just cry. When I'm out I have been experiencing major panic attacks heart racing, feeling faint etc is this normal? Sorry to babble on I just feel I'm at a total loss and don't know what to do. Thanks :-)

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Yes that's absolutely normal. I have anxiety and find that sometimes when I go out I have panic attacks. They are regular at the moment as I'm having a bad episode but you will get over them. They are also frightening but just remember you are not alone.
  • Posted

Hey I hope your doing ok, I'm abit like this now from anixty. I don't want to go out or be around folk as i feel to anxuius and work my self up.

I won't go back to gp either as I just end up panicking more. I'm on mirtazapine and waiting cbt but it's going to be hard to push my self to go due to the physical symptoms I get when I have to face going out. Apparently it's best to face your fears as it takes the edge off thjngs. I've been up and down since last autumn with it. Somedays I can push hard and plod on and get out and be fine but some I just stay in my room and keep distracted and learn.cbt online. I take mirtazapine but feel it's not doing anything apart from making me grogg. I do feel it's mind over matter and it's about changing your reaction to the thought of going out and Tring to trick your mind into not worrying. Once we face our fears and learn to not avoid and run from them it's meant to get easier but I think it's best to go small steps at a time.

Don't be afraid to speak to new gp tho as they might be clued up and it will also help u get back on track and maybe cbt. Make it your first step of fighting back at this silly emotion that pesters us so much. keep strong

Shez

• Posted

I completely understand because I've also been in a similar position. I have had anxiety off and on for many years but the past couple of years have been so much harder because I've suddenly become very agoraphobic. I used to love to travel and now have panic attacks when I'm out. I also panic when people are at my house (except for spouse and son). On top of the anxiety I've had so much anger, sadness and frustration at the fact that I feel like anxiety is stealing my life from me.

I try very hard to still make myself do all of the things I am scared of but sometimes I get so upset at how miserable I am inside while putting on a happy front outside.

I do agree with Shez though, new GP may help a lot. Also, CBT is wonderful. I'm wishing healing for you. smile

• Posted

Yes it's such a crippling issue anxity I had no idea it could get this bad. I feel I don't even know who I am anymore. Feel numb inside and can't feel happy. I get over whelmed so easier and get upset. Crying does seem to calm me down sometimes. I feel lkke my loves over at 32. I aint travelled It's always been a dream to me as my anxity stops me doing alOt. I wish I could find my old happy self too. I get so nervous around everyone too but I used to love talking to lots of people and stand up and do talks at meetings etc. Now I dread people being near me. I've learnt cbt on line and seen it's all steaming from my thinkng. It's my thoughts I need to change the reaction to but am struggling to do that. It's frustrating I also get angry and want to push things and sometimes feel like giving me heed a wobble and saying sort it out in there man!!! Haha talking helps me and ranting on the group to folk in similar situation helps too. I only check in here some days I try to keep positive when I can and not worry over anxity etc. But it's Defo good to talk
  • Posted

Don't be embarrassed to tell your doctor what you are feeling. You would not believe how many others go in there with the same problems. Sometimes I cry when I am in their office. They have learned how to deal with me. They are being paid to help you. In any way they can. It sounds like the move got your body moving, and doing what you had to to be able to get out more. I also have Agoraphobia. Our kids help to keep us going because sometimes we just have to take them where they need to go. Look for a good therapist in your area also. You can do this!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.