I'm desperate to find help with my silent gerd!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suffered with Acid reflux and finally, last year, had the laparoscopic hiatal hernia repair. I went through all the tests prior to the operation. My doctors comment after the tests was, 'boy do you have a lot of acid.' I no longer get the acid that comes up, in mass that burns your throat, but I still have what they call silent gerd. I am back on Omeprazole because my nasty cough came back, my nose is full and awful and I have, I guess I would call it, a lump in my throat that will not go away. I do not remember EVER NOT feeling sick to my stomach. I am so tired of feeling lousy. Over the years I have tried gerd diets, I have tried to figure out what my trigger foods are and NOTHING works. I almost hate to ask but, is there anything else I can do or try. I had someone tell be to take vinegar pills. I was desperate and tried it. Didn't work. I also have bouts of diverticulitis and the pain is horrible.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I wonder if these are reactions to the procedure you had. If they are, they tend to dissipate over time. I know such procedures tend to have such reactions. Talk to your doctors and seek their advice.

• Posted

I had the operation last year. I ended up going to a ENT doctor and he was the one who put me back on Omeprazole and did not seem concerned about how awful I feel. Do you think I should try another kind of doctor. Go back to my Gastroenterologist? Except for the short time after the operation I have been on omeprazole for 12 years.

• Posted

so sorry you are going tru so much. did you have Nissan fundoplication. i suffer terrible burning with reflux

did your doctors ever suggest anti depressants. some believe they calm the whole body down.

• Posted

Yes I had the Nissan operation. It was 4 hours long. The doctor repaired the hernia. I do not have the burning anymore. Think I'll take your suggestion and ask about an anti depressant. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.