I'm Diane17333. I posted two months ago re high potassium.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my yearly physical a month ago. I have 1 working kidney.  My potassium was up to 5.6 currently (borderline now but 6 two months ago). Kidney functiion at 60, sodium 1 point over normal,  My primary physician said contact kidney Dr.  regarding these numbers.  I didn't since I have an appointment w/kidney Dr. in August to have another blood test. 

Since this 5.6 number I have been starving myself eating 1 one meal a day (Lean Cuisine because it gives the numbers for salt and potassium) and a salad (cucumbers, lettuce, green unions, a couple cherry tomatoes, oil and vinigar).  I can't go out to lunch anymore because there's nothing for me to eat, and I have given up all my favorite foods  already.  I am  at my wits end since all of this, I feel this is not living.  I am 72 and  If my numbers come back high in August I will discontinue these efforts, get my affairs in order, eat what I want and wait for the consequences.  I don't know what else to do, I'm totally at a loss now.  I'm tired of worrying, crying and stressing out each and every day about what I can or cannot eat. I have been all over the internet for food and numbers, but it's not encouraging at all.

Any comments/advice appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dianne, I'm sorry but I don't quite understand exactly what you are stressing over. I, too, have just a sole kidney, but I'm doing sort of ok and my function is at just 28% at present. You are doing extremely well if your kidney is functioning at 60! And for goodness sake stop worrying about a sodium level just one point above normal - if that is what is worrying you then just cut back on salt altogether- no ready made meals as they all contain salt. Perhaps I'm missing the point here?

• Posted

Hi, thanks for answering. I'm stressing over the high potassium at 6, which is extremely dangerous.  I am having a very hard time eating according to the list as everything contains potassium.  I have given up my favorite foods and am depressed that this is now my life.  1/2 cup of everything is not living.  I am constantly on the Internet finding out how much potassium is in mostly everything I eat.  There are very little foods I can eat and I am constantly hungry.  As for the salt, I am checking that too, they said I can only have 1500 mg a day but it adds up very quickly.  (I never salted anything before all this).[url=https://patient.info/forums/discuss/i-m-diane17333-i-posted-two-months-ago-re-high-potassium--598197?page=0&utm_source=forum&utm_campaign=comment-notification&utm_medium=email#]

• Posted

Diane, so it sounds as though you have hyperkalemia which can be quite common in those with kidney disease. Are you experiencing any symptoms of hyperkalemia? If you haven't been referred to a renal dietitian then you should request that referral as they are the best people to help you to ensure you are having the right amount of minerals whilst avoiding those foods high in potassium. You may also be prescribed medication to help reduce potassium levels such as diuretics whilst being advised to avoid any medications that might aggravate the problem. Can you perhaps bring your appointment forward with the renal consultant?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.