I'm doing a research project on scoliosis, could you answer some questions? :)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good afternoon, my name is Emily, I’m 17 and had idiopathic scoliosis and at the age of 13 iIhad the surgery. I would be grateful if you could answer these various questions related to “Does counselling for teens receiving spinal surgery benefit their recovery?”

Have you had scoliosis, if so what type have you had?

Did you have an operation to correct your curve?

How old were you when you had your operation if you did have one?

Did you do any preparation for your operation eg massages, counselling?

Do you think a counselling programme eg an option to talk to someone who has had the operation, or a book on effects and personal experiences, exercises will benefit you and your family to read?

I would really appreciate any feedback and if you have any questions about my surgery or worries im happy to help, 

Emily

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I did not go for surgery yet n my age is 31 .I do exercises and swimming and go to rehab for pain management. I do all my activities infact I have a small daughter too.

Certainly counselling is required.

How well are you after surgery?I need to know the pros and cons of surgery.What if I plan for surgery now to avoid future issues.

• Posted

I had surgery at the age of 13 to correct a 62 degree curve which was 54 degrees 6 months before. I kept myself as fit as possible by swimming and running but was advised the dangers of the op however I believed there were many more positives for me to have the operation e.g. better body confidence, will prevent the curvature growing, it would've gradually have affected my breathing as well. 

And I must say it is the best decision I have ever made, I am so much more confident now and I don't have to worry about the pain, sometimes I get slight pain sitting down for long periods of time e.g. aeroplanes but I still go on rollercoasters and do everything I always used to. 

However it is a very hard decision as I was much younger having my operation but if you are active it really helps.

If you don't mind me asking what degree is your curve?

• Posted

Mine is the highest 100 degrees..but my body is balanced..equal shoulders just pelvic is little unequal.I may opt for surgery at some point but not confident to go for it.Certainly they are many people living with scoliosis without surgery who hardly face issues when compared to surgery patients.

By the way for which institute you are doing this research work? Are you into medical field? Or just taught to research since you had it?

• Posted

So at the moment I am just studying Biology A level and am doing a EPQ (Extended project qualification) in preparation for university and I chose this to study given I have important experience. 

Do you have a counsellor or someone you speak to about your scoliosis?

• Posted

Hello.  How old are you.  My son is at 40 Cobb angle and I’m so worried it wil progress.   Do you do exercises ?
  • Posted

No i don't have ..I just get regular doctor visit to know if it is going bad ...

• Posted

I found that I didn't really want to talk to people about it before my operation I preferred not knowing the details however I think that a good way to stay positive it by doing exercise and perhaps massages? They relax me and keep my muscles relaxed too even since my operation

• Posted

True but unless a person is ready to face the negative results of surgery no need to consult.

My case is like I have heard only negative of surgery since my age is 31 ..hv daughter too and I am very much like normal person.

• Posted

Have you had scoliosis, if so what type have you had?

Did you have an operation to correct your curve?

Happy to help with this.

How old were you when you had your operation if you did have one?

I was 25 years old and had my operation in 2012 - spinal fusion with costoplasty

Did you do any preparation for your operation eg massages, counselling?

Yes, I attended 6 sessions of counselling which I found helpful with preparing myself. I also spoke to other people who had had the surgery.

Do you think a counselling programme eg an option to talk to someone who has had the operation, or a book on effects and personal experiences, exercises will benefit you and your family to read?

Absolutely - please keep me updated.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help!

Camilla

• Posted

Oh I had a spinal fusion T3-L2
    • Posted

Good morning!

Thank you for offering to help me, your operation sounds interesting, it was around the same time as mine, so for my research I have decided to alter my research, titled "By evaluating the mental and physical effects of scoliosis with and without surgery, which is the better option?"

Before you had your operation did you have any physical and/or mental side effects of having scoliosis?

After having your operation did you still get any physical pain or was it improved?

Do you now feel a lot more confident and better about your body if you didn't previously have a positive body image?

Did you ever try wearing a brace? I have seen that this is another way of "treating" scoliosis however I haven't spoken to anyone as to whether it actually improved them mentally and physically?

If you have any other tips for me writing this 5000 word essay that would be great hahaha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.