I'm experiencing excessive panic attacks and anxiety, please help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Here lately, probably for about the past month and a half, I've been experiencing a TON of panic attacks and anxiety. I have absolutely no idea what caused it to start happening. Day by day, it slowly progresses to get worse. Some days are good, some are not. I've done a lot of research, and I've read things about cognitive behavioural therapy to help panic attacks dramatically. I've read self-help, like telling yourself "You're not the boss of me, you will not control my life anymore" etc, etc. I've tried changing my food intake and diet, like taking in more water, taking in more vital vitamins, and more.For weeks, I've avoided seeing a doctor because I don't have insurance, but it's to the point to where it's affecting my life so much that I can't deal with it anymore. I'm tired of it ruining my life and work. Some of the things I've noticed when I feel a panic attack coming or is about to be triggered is: 

1. I make eye contact with random customers at work (not EVERY person, but many) 

2. I walk into some stores 

3. While standing in line somewhere, waiting, or talking to people 

4. And a couple panic attacks in my own house 

5. When I feel threatened 

6. If I see a crowd in a store, and just start thinking about going into a crowd. 

7. Sitting in the parking lot before going into some stores 

What I feel when a panic attack is about to happen is: 

1. My body gets really hot, really fast 

2. My vision starts to go from normal to black, back and forth 

3. I start to then feel like I'm about to faint, to the point to where I HAVE to leave or escape where ever I'm at away from anyone 

4. My body starts to shake and I feel extremely weightless and lightheaded 

5. I start to lose concentration and cannot think or understand correctly 

6. And then, once I finally escape, I sit down, and my body shakes intensely 

7. After calming down, my body starts developing pains in my back, neck, and then I lose feeling in my legs and feel lifeless for hours. 

This happens multiple times a day, and I can't stand it anymore. I've stopped drinking alcohol completely because I read that has an effect on panic and anxiety as well, but it's still happening. I want this fixed so bad. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? (Obviously, see a doctor), but has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did the doctor do? Did they put you on medicine, and what kind of medicine and does it actually help?

I think part of my problem is that it has such a control on my life, that having a panic attack is always on my mind no matter what I'm doing, and I'm so afraid of them happening and then they happen without warning. Please help me with some input! 

Thank you all for your time.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well I'm sorry you are going through this!

It must be hard!! I get it!! As I've had all your symtoms!!!! And still am!! But I'm on meds now and it is getting better!!

Yes go see your doctor and make sure you get a blood work done to rule out thyroid , iron or whatever.

Don't worry you are going to be just fine!!!

And try to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.

It's scary and you feel like something is seriously wrong with you but you are fine.

Are you having any stress in your life right now that might be causing this?

Don't drink alchol or coffee as it does make it worse sad keep your head up

• Posted

Thank you for your response!

I've tried multiple breathing teqniques and they never seem to work.

The only stress right now is shortened hours at work, and a couple late bills due to hours at work, but that's about it.

• Posted

Bless your heart honey. I suffer the se fate. Mine used to be that bad, but over time I recoognize symptoms of an oncoming attack and leave the room or whatever if I have to and it has reduced them. I tried 3 different anti depressants against my will even though I'm not depressed. I've been on Xanax for 2 years and I'm trying to get off of it because it's so bad for you. Helpful temporarily for sure but not a long term fix. Go see a doc. It will just make you feel better if not anything else. My anxiety ha made me feel helpless and trapped in my own body but we have to know that it's just that.. Anxiety. It can't kill you or hurt you physically. I'm so sorry you're a fellow

Victim

• Posted

Thank you for helping with your reply (: I once had anxiety a few years ago after a bad 5 year relationship, but that anxiety all eventually went away. Now all of a sudden, it's happening again. I've taken Xanax before, and after taking it I freaked out (probably because I was afraid of the effects of the pill). How well does the medicine help you with your panic attacks? And did the doctor start treating you the same day you went in for your appointment? I agree, I do feel trapped and completely helpless and hopeless, I just want it fixed.
  • Posted

Hi Cotylee1991...I am truly sorry to hear what you are going through and experiencing.  I am here to help as is this forum.  You are taking the first step needed to make a difference in your life.  Asking for help is half the battle and one of the hardest decisions you will have to make.  The elements that you have applied to life already shows that you are willing to take this challenge and regain your life back.  CBT is a great form of therapy and offers great tools to help you.  There are other therapies as well.  A therapist will be able to guide you better in figuering out which one is best suited for you.  I can tell you what medications I take, but its not going to make a differece given the fact there are so many different combinations of medications that can be utilzed in helping you.  I can tell you this though, the combination of both medication and therapy is what you need.  Just taking medication is not going to cure you or help you.  You need to be willing to put forth the effort to make changes in you rf life.  You have half way through this battle.  Start meditatoing, exercising, reading, listening to relaxation music, etc.  These will allow you to start reflexing and focusing on getting better.  I am here for you any time of day.
    • Posted

Thank you for the supportive reply! It is a very hard thing to get through, but I just want to get through it and get it over with. Just taking medication wont help it? I thought that the meds would help ease the occurance of the panic attacks and anxiety? I've read some about CBT, and I just don't see how that would help, because if I can't talk myself out of an attack or anxiety or calm myself from it, then how would CBT do so? But thank you for your reply (:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.