I'm experiencing symptoms of diabetes

Posted , 8 users are following.

Lately, I've been experiencing symtpoms of diabetes. I have to pee all the time, but I've always had to do that. Recently, I've been way more thirsty than usual. I'm also always hungry, but sometimes I get hunger pangs even if I've eaten not long ago. For the past month I've been itchy and getting rashes. Some days my vision is kind of blurry but some days it's fine. I'm supposed to wear glasses though, so that may just be from me not wearing glasses. A couple of times over the past few weeks my arms have felt kind of tingly, but that may not be anything. I just don't know what to do. I may be overreacting, but I would rather be safe than sorry

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I think you should get a blood test and aic test. Then you will know for sure
  • Posted

I agree with the other comments - I would add why would you torture yourself with worry by not going to your doctor?  Surely knowing the truth of what is wrong with you has to be better.  Then you can deal with it.  Sounds like someone needs to give you a boot up the backside and that someone seems to be me!  Good luck and I hope that your fears were unfounded.
  • Posted

I do not uunderstand why you do not know what to do. When I had similar symptoms I went to my doctor ASAP to get it diagnosed. All it took was one simple blood test. I knew diabetes  was treatable, and not necessarily with meds. Initially, I managed the diabetes with diet alone, and then with 1 tablet per day for 8 months. Things have deteriorated since then but I am really glad I went to the doctor when I did. 
    • Posted

Hi gill

May I ask what kinds of symptomps you had befor going to Doctor? And if you could control your diabeties by diet then why did you take medication?

Also what's a normal a1c level? Is 5.7 A1c normal? This is American measurement. Thank you

• Posted

Very thirsty, peeing a lot especially at night, very tired, slight loss of weight, lots of fungal infections (itchy rash, vagina, breast, toes, cystitis). I was able to control my diabetes by diet alone for 15 months, then it deteriorated and went on to 1 tablet  a day for 8 months.  January 2015 it deteriorated again and over 6!weeks I went up,to 8. Tablets per day. It was then stable until January this year when it deteriorated again and I am now on injectable insulin twice per day plus still taking the tablets. I went from control by diet alone to insulin twice per day in less than 2 years which is apparently quite unusual. I believe HbA1c 5.7 is in the normal range, but you would need to check with your doctor. Did he arrange the HbA1c blood test. Ifso, he would have told you if the. 5.7 was abnormal.

• Posted

Hi gill

Tnx for responding. Aww hugs for you. It must be hard for to deal with this nasty illness. I had a bad galblader that made sick for almost four years. I couldn't eat normal and I was on diet all the time. I lost so much weight and I am still very skinny. So I know how hard it is to deal with sickness. However, if you were on healthy diet then why did your diabetes progressed that fast? What did the dr say? are you diabetic for many years? You know my problems began in the year of 2007 to this day. One dr said you have impaired golocuse one said you have insulin resistance another said you are fine and the list goes on.

• Posted

I have had diabetes for 3 years but it is not the usual type associated with an unhealthy diet, it is steroid induced. I have been permanently on steroids for 8 years for a rare eye condition and intermittently for 2 years before that. That is why it has progressed so fast. There was no problem in getting a diagnosis, the problem has been managing the diabetes as my GP would not pay for me to have the equipment to check my blood sugars regularly. Now that I am on insulin he has no choice, it has to be checked regularly.
  • Posted

Are you in uk if you Are you could ho we to boots or Lloyds c by chemists who will do free blood tests and advise you
    • Posted

Tnx for your respond Marilyn

But if my A1c of 5.7 is good then why in my lab result says out of range. sad

Another question is what is normal number after 1hr and 2hrs of meal.

For example my 1hr blood sugar after the meal was 134 while in the Google searching says it should be under 120.

I am confused here my dr don't take it seriously.

I even went to endocornologyst myself to check things up he was cool about it as well.

I shared my concerns with him I told him that I don't want to damage my body beacuse in the Internet it says the damages begin at number of 120 and up. But he laughed and said no it begins at much higher numbers. You just worry to much.

I truly don't understand these doctors anymore.

That is why I am asking you here beacuse I you might have much more experience to share with than doctors.

Thank you

• Posted

You could be having insulin resistance.

Pre diabetes would be indicated by having a blood test called a glucose tolerane test along with a urine test to check for ketones.

Please let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

Hi lill

I have a question. When is the right time to check the post meal blood sugar? Is it 1 hour after or 2 hours? I ate some popcorn and after 45 minutes I felt my heart pounding and when I checked my blood sugar at 1 hour it was 136 but I right away in ten minutes I checked it again it was 172. Again I checked my BS st 2 hours it was 120. 😳Huh! How can it be like that. In ten minutes blood sugar jumps from 136 to 172!

Two days ago I ate some potato chips and after an hour my BS was 146 then in two hours was 169 in three hours was 176 and in four hours was 92! Howcome my BS instead of going down it goes up and suddenly drops down.

But my fasting are always under 100 thanks God. Just my post meal are weird. But not with all the food just with some kinds of the food jumps high. Most of the time my post meals are under 140.

I told my doctor about this but he told me that since my A1c was 5.7 there is no worry. I want to different doctors for second, third and fourth opinion they all said the same thing. It looks like they all graduated from the same school!

Then I went to an endocornologyst and he was careless too. He told me that worry to much. But I told him about the horror stories and facts that I've read on google he dismissed them all and told me that I should stop reaserching and trust the doctors. Now I am confused and don't know who to belive the doctors or the Internet inforbstion.

I am afraid that theses BS ups and downs damages my organs and doctors are not addressing it. Or maybe they are right nothing is wrong with me.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Do you think that my BS readings are normal? I confused. This is happening since the year 2007. My A1cs was always in the range of 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5,6 and 5,7.

If they are normal than what's this post meals numbers mean? 😔

Thank you

• Posted

Your HbA1c results are consistently normal. Blood sugar rises in the two hours after eating in everyone, but in a non diabetic they will return to normal as your body releases insulin. If your sugars were too high, your A1c reading would show it. If I were you, I'd believe your doctors and relax and stop testing after meals. If you want to keep an eye on it, get an A1c test occasionally, especially if you have a family history of diabetes. Other than that, enjoy not having this horrid, life changing condition.
    • Posted

And...between doctors and Google, almost always the doctor is the better choice for trusting. Especially for something where the evidence is in their favour. And your post meal rises in sugar won't do you any harm, given your enviable HbA1c readings. I'd love to get below 10 right now!
    • Posted

I looked up your 176 reading on a converter so I knew what it meant in numbers I understand. That's a normal reading for after a meal. Please stop worrying. I think all the doctors you've seen are right, honestly. Relax.
    • Posted

Hi Liz

Thank you for responding to me. But I can't stop worrying beacuse deep down I know something is not working normal. But the doctors are waiting until I develop full blown diabeties then they'll take action. But I know that even to be in the pre diabetic category you can get all of the nasty complications of diabetes and I also know that someone that is not diabetic even empty the whole jar of candy it's blood sugar won't rise over the standard or normal level and it will go back down fast. But me if I eat few potato chips my blood sugar gets crazy and goes high by each hour and after four hours finally drops down😳. So do you think this is normal? Normal Blood sugar goes up in two hours and quickly goes down it will not keep going for four hours and cone down slowly. This is what concerns me.

By the way, my A1c of 5.7 was out of the range for the lab. Everything below 5.7 is in range for them.

Are you diabetic Liz? Do you get the same ups and downs with your sugar? Do you control your A1c level?

• Posted

I'm diabetic, yes. My sugars have been at 20 or more after eating at times. 5.7 in the USA I believe is the lowest number for possible pre diabetes. Here in the UK it is normal. But you have lots of lower HbA1c readings too. The numbers you are getting after meals are really not high. Even the highest is normal for post eating. Even if you got a diagnosis - and I don't think you need one, but I'm no doctor - they'd just prescribe diet and exercise at those levels. If you're really worried, I'd try regular exercise, cut out sugar, eat healthy. If all those doctors and an endocrinologist say you're ok, you probably are. And if diabetes shows up later, they'll pick it up on your blood tests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.