I'm fed up with fighting a constant battle everyday

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, where do I start... I have insomnia, depression and generalized anxiety as well as social anxiety. Which is a terrible combination. Everynight I find myself waking up every 1-2 hours, it feels like I wake up just as I'm about to go into deep sleep. I seem to have around 3-4 dreams a night which I can fully remember upon awakening and then forget as the day goes on unless I write them down. I am exhausted all of the time and that inturn makes my anxiety and depression worse than it already is. I've hit rock bottom again today after my brother making loads and loads of noise at 4:30am this morning (I had already woken up twice since getting in bed at 12:15 at this point). He wakes me up and then the anxiety creeps in. I just have a thought in my head "Thats it now, my night is utterly ruined". I try and tense my feet, hands ect because I was told that releases the stress, but no. I still have this butterfly feeling in my groin and racing thoughts of what I can no longer do tomorrow and that I have to walk miles tomorrow with black watery eyes and people laughing at me. I then try sleep hypnosis but I cannot get to that peaceful stage because of this feeling in my body that just won't go away.

I have felt incredibly positive lately compared to how I was. I have been walking the dogs everyday and running even though I am very tired all of time. Its made me feel alive again and it did help with my energy levels. The one thing that was bothering me even though I was doing everything in my power to stay occupied was these unwanted thoughts in my mind. Its like a horrible thought would just keep repeating itself over and over, like a family member getting in a car crash or something. I would do everything in my power to fight this thought as it gave me terrible anxiety because I love my family to bits. These thoughts would just stay with me for hours and I wouldn't be able to give anything my full concerntration because I felt agitated about these horrible thoughts. I kept telling myself it was anxiety but for some reason I can use all the logic my brain will let me about how pointless and stupid it is to be worrying about "nothing", yet there I am constantly agitated by this intrusive thought. 

I feel like I am in a constant battle everyday and today upon feeling absolutely shattered has made me feel very low and depressed again. I feel good for nothing today because I am so exhausted and feel all the progress I've made the past week has just spiraled back. I am in a an endless loop, I think that I am on a road out of this and then I get dragged back into this depression feeling of thinking "Whats the point?". Today I find myself snapping at my family out of anger and rage and locking myself in my room and returning to this limbo that I've been fighting my way out of the past week. I take 15mg Mirtazapine and 80mg Propranolol a day, I feel their help is little to none. "Mirtazapine 15mg will knock you out and make you sleep" says the doctor. I have been on them over 2 years switching between every dose they prescribe. It initially sends me to sleep but I am awake again in 1-2 hours so I don't see the point. I was taking Zopiclone short term a while ago (Just 10 tablets) 7.5mg and they sent me to sleep a good 3-4 hours usually before my first awakening. I just need some help and guidance so I don't go back into limbo again. Thanks for reading and sorry if I am writing in an angry/hopeless manner. This is just how I feel at this moment. Sam

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sam, I wish I had different advice for you than a couple of weeks ago but it is the same.  Keep exercising daily as you have mentioned that it makes you feel better. Also, don't get so distraught when you have setbacks or wake up in the middle of the night.  Half the problem is being worried about how bad you are going to feel the next day if you can't go back to sleep.  It is far better to get up and occupy your mind with a book or some other form of relaxation than to lay there tossing and turning trying hard to go back to sleep.  Your thoughts just go out of control and then you are fighting a battle you will never win.  Get out of the bed and do something relaxing, if nothing else than to simply reset your thoughts and quit worrying about your sleep so much.   

I know it's hard but shifting your focus from "I feel terrible and am going to die if I don't start sleeping better" to "I'm going to live a good life today regardless of how I sleep" will help more than anything in the world. 

• Posted

Thanks for your help again, I don't really know what came over me that day, it was a feeling of hopelessness and I can say looking back that I overreacted. Things are looking up again now, I'm walking my dogs everyday and have actually started reading. It is a book on space and the universe so it has got me really interested haha. I shall think of positive affirmations instead of the voice inside my head being negative when I have a setback. Thanks again, take care smile

• Posted

Hey no problem. I know how you feel. Just hang in there on those rough nights. You will slowly get back where you need to be with your sleep.
  • Posted

In short, unless your depression is for something brutally traumatic, get off the drugs. They are making it impossible for you to obtain a natural, healthy sleep pattern. Continue running, walking the dogs etc, perhaps join a gym like myself (I go 4/5 days a week).

Going to bed after midnight isn't good either. Try 10:30, 11pm at the latest and get up no later than 7pm. About the noise, wear ear plugs. Those foam ones you get in factories, you can get them on eBay too. And tell your brother to stop ******* around at 4am, unless he's going to work or something. I dunno man you need your own space, you know?

Diet is mega important too, cutting out junk food and eating good stuff really helps with your sleep. I'm thinking about starting a thread on how to improve sleep quality and share what I've learned in my 6 years or dealing with major sleep issues, look out for it buddy.

• Posted

I would definitely encourage you to do that as I know it would help people.  I enjoy your insight into this issue that so many of us share. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I did recently try coming off of the anti depressants but that made my anxiety 10x worse than its ever been so I came back on them. I feel anxiety is more of the problem than anything so I'd just like to take these drugs to help control that. I'll start going to sleep earlier and waking up earlier, I do find myself just lying there most mornings when I could be up doing something productive. I will definately look forward to your thread, it'll be an interesting read I'm sure.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I do sympathise, as I worried constantly about getting enough sleep when I was young. (And I suspect from the content of your post that you're still in your teens or early 20s.)

I agree totally with the other posters in here. I'd also like to make another point. You complain of "waking up every 1 to 2 hours". In fact that's perfectly normal. Normal sleep consists of several cycles per night, each lasting about one-and-a-half hours. We all wake up to some extent between each cycle. If you put people in a sleep lab, obversations show that most of them wake completely each time, but they just don't remember it.

Some of us, however, are fully aware of each awakening. This is perfectly normal too, but it's where anxiety can creep in. If we believe we're not supposed to be awake after one-and-a-half hours of sleep, we can easily get into the state you describe.

I know you're going to say you never used to be aware of these regular awakenings. There are two explanations for this. The obvious one is that it was always going on, but now you've become aware of it, you can't become unaware. The other factor is that adult sleep patterns take over from our childhood patterns in our teens or 20s, and adults are more likely than children to be aware of the fact that they're waking up regularly.

I'm not quite sure what your concern about your dreams is due to. Is it because you remember them when you wake up, or because you forget them during the course of the day? Both are quite normal. Everyone dreams, regardless of whether they remember their dreams or not, and we all forget our dreams during the first hour or so of waking - except maybe for the most striking ones. So everything is quite normal in that department too.

I note you mention "this limbo I've been fighting my way out of the past week". We all go through periods of poor sleep that can last weeks or even months, without suffering any permanent damage. It's clear from your post that you're getting some sleep every night. I suspect you've simply bought into the fallacy that everyone has to have 8 hours of "perfect" unbroken sleep every night. In reality, adults can survive quite happily on very short periods of sleep - whether broken or unbroken. Consider the case of parents of young babies. They get no sleep at all on some nights! OK, they feel pretty groggy after these nights and they're often very tired during the first couple of years of parenthood, but nothing bad happens to them, does it? If it did, we'd all lose our parents - either to death or to the insane asylum - by the time we were 5!

I see you're on mirtazapine, and you've been changing the dose quite a lot. This may not have helped. One of the symptoms of mirtazapine withdrawal (or reduction) is insomnia. I would agree with Lee that it would be better to get off it altogether, but this should only be done by slow tapering under medical supervision, not by trial and error.

Please try and calm down. Nothing you've described is abnormal and you'll be fine once you get through this phase of anxiety.

• Posted

Hey Sam,

Same problem wid me mate. I ve been having same problem as yours for 7 years now. I somehow collected myself to finish college. I get anxious all day. Can't sleep at night. Wake up after 1-2 hrs of sleeping, try again get panicked try again get to sleep and wake up again after 1-2 hrs.If I have an interview or something like that, I get panic attacks. Can't even look straight up in the face of my long term friends to talk to them. I have negative thoughts all day. I get sucked up in thoughts and don't have awareness of the outside world. I know it's bad. I've tried sleep meds and anti depressants but that ll only make my head foggy the other day. So stopped it. I also run regularly and then do a Pranayama yoga program and meditate 30 mins to 1 hr everyday. Only this can keep me functioning. Lastly, I have booked a CBT appointment. I know it's difficult living like this mate but it's a long journey and u gotta find out your options. Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks for your advise. Does your night seen to last as long as your day? Its weird but because I'm waking up every 1-2 hours, I feel like I've been to sleep for ages even though only an hour or 2 has passed. So I end up waking 8 times a night or something silly. I've also noticed that I'm dreaming the entire night and also prone to several nightmares a night. I seem to remember every single dream. Its an anxiety fueled theater of a night every night. I'm not sure how we can get back into our rhythms as its not natural for the body to wake so often like that. Most of the time i have no idea if i have actually been to sleep or not. Whatever I have is so light that it just does restore me whatsoever. Hope we can figure something out, take care smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.