I’m Free from Venlafaxine!

Posted , 6 users are following.

For anyone out there that is looking for reassurance about quitting... i did it without any withdrawal symptoms. It is possible!

After 2 years my max dose being 75mg NOT a high dose i know but i still blame it for making me change for the worse.

The last 3 months i was taking just 1 37.5mg tablet in the morning. Reducing down to half and then 2 weeks on only a quarter. Last Saturday was my last crumb of a tablet as i could not break a quarter down any further so i just stopped.

I was really terrified that i would go crazy but i didnt. Its now nearly a week and I feel fine.

There is so much emphasis on bad withdrawals that it stops us even attempting it.

GOOD LUCK... if you are trying x

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

That is very reassuring as I have tried going down from 37.5 after a week to one every other day and the symptoms were aweful. Well done you x

• Posted

How did you do it? lower dose once a week? or everyday, i.e. from 75 to 60 per day? or to 60 just on suns, then sun and thurs, etc

• Posted

Hi Norton,

3 months roughly on 1 full 37.5 tablet a day in the morning.

Then i cut it in half and took half a tablet a day for about 6 weeks.

Then...1/4 of a tablet (just bit it in half again) for 2 weeks only then nothing. I really thought i was chancing it by only doing 1/4 of a tab for 2 weeks and then completely stopping but it was honestly fine. My advice would be take the 1/4 tab for 6 weeks aswell.

i think taking 'something' every day helps.... until you get to a 'crumb' like i did and then stop.

N

• Posted

im going to chime in here because it took me awhile to choose a schedule and had it approved by an amazing pharmacist who supported my journey. . i did it by elimination. your on 7 pills a day....start to .reduce to 6 pills a week and stay on 6 for 2 weeks or when youre ready and you feel good. then you reduce to 5 pills pills a week. try to have your days off apart from each other. your body will get used to the lower weekly dosages without having to cut up your pills. i was also on 75 mg for over a decade and it took me exactly 6 months. even after 3 months i still feel a few zaps but thats mostly gone now. all the best

• Posted

hi Nixy! big congrats to you for being brave even though it was frightening. i just did it also and have been med free for 4 glorious months. took me 6 months and i did have withdrawals at the very end, just like you see in movies with shivers, sweating etc but i made it thru the tunnel yay! i was on this stuff for over a decade and everyone told me i could not do it and would not support me. even my doc was unimpressed with what i did going so far to tell me still would not work. freakn amazing but we busted thru it didnt we! its a big thing and i celebrate now, not for getting off the meds but for beleiving in myself that i could and my life has been peaceful and joyful since. i was going to go crazy if i stayed on it. I understand there are many of you out there who cannot wean off, but for those who beleive they can live without it, go for it

so be proud and muster on with the life you wanted and got. self care is so important now so be good to yourself and dont fall down the rabbit hole ok! all the best!

• Posted

Well done, were you on slow or immediate release?

• Posted

Hi Molly

Immediate Release 37.5mg tabs x

• Posted

I think the extended release are more difficult to come off

• Posted

yes, i think you are right. Maybe they work better, im not sure, i found that the IR tabs didnt really work for me but then i was on a low dose.

• Posted

i am on my third attempt at weaning off and i cant do it. they are evil

• Posted

Molly, just a thought - could you ask your GP to change you to the IR tabs, like move over very slowly and once completely on IR start the tapering process then?

• Posted

I decided i hate these tablets and rapidly came down from 300 mg venlafaxine extended release tablets . I went to doctors already down to 75mg with withdrawal and have now been down to 37.5 for 6 days . Ive been using benydyl which helped to begin but im sure it's now making it worse . Do you think its possible the benydrl could make dizziness and fuzzing worse . thankyou

• Posted

From what I have read on other sites you need to hold that taper until the side affects ease. I read an interesting article in the BMJ about Venlafaxine and reduction problems

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.