I'm gaining weight every day...help !

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there guys 

I hope one of you guys have been in this predicament as me so please do suggest/help me 

Here we go... can i just say that i'm active person, i do walk my dog 30 mins a day i have active job and i do exercise PLUS i do watch what i eat ....so please tell me whats going on with me ...the more I'm trying the more i'm gaining...eg; sometimes i do wake up and i have half a kilo more on the scale ????  within last 6 monts i have put 6 kilos on ???/ please suggest something ...Thank you !!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I honestly had this happen to me, I gained 3 stone in 3 months without changing any of my exercise or eating habits. I had blood tests that showed absolutely nothing. I'm down to eating 1000 calories a day and am barely losing weight that way. I've read that unless you ask specifically for a full thyroid screening, they use outdated tests that don't really show anything, so if your symptoms fit, really push for it! A lot of doctors will just assume you're overeating, too, so keep a food diary (or use a calorie counting app) that you can show them on your next appointment.

• Posted

Hi, this has happened to me. I know how frustrating it is. You'll have your diet and exercise nitpicked to death by everyone around you (sometimes including doctors) and drive yourself batty with fine-tuning it, measuring, weighing, charting, calculating, etc to no avail. You'll be told its just "age" when you know full well that something is not right. Standard tests might turn up nothing and doctors might keep saying you're perfectly healthy. You may be referred to a psychiatrist and recommended anti-depressants.

Here are some of the physiological barriers to getting results from diet and exercise which can cause unexplained weight gain:

1) Insulin / blood sugar issues

2) Cortisol / adrenal issues (note: "stress" is not just emotional; anything causing chronic inflammation is a physiological stressor)

3) Gut health issues

4) Hormone issues (eg, low testosterone, high estrogen, etc)

5) Toxicity / liver issues

6) Immune system issues

7) Cellular issues (eg, anemia)

8) Neurotransmitter issues

9) Thyroid issues

Thyroid has been mentioned. Nar38496 is correct that standard thyroid tests only check TSH which is insufficient by itself. Hypothyroidism is not the only disrupted thyroid pattern which can cause unexplained weight gain. You also need to push for free T4 and *definitely* free T3 to be tested. Check for thyroid antibodies (eg, Hashimotos). If possible, get reverse T3 tested. Research *optimal* levels and ratios to each other; don't just accept "normal" lab ranges. That goes for any and all tests (not just thyroid).

If your physiology is less than optimal, results from diet and exercise will be less than optimal. Simple as that. To understand the above list, try googling Dr. Bryan Walsh. Look for his "Missing Fat Loss Manual" pdf and "Fat Loss Resistance Assessment Guide". You can also find lots of his interviews, podcasts, and articles online. Don't pay for anything, that's not necessary.

In my own 5 year long journey, my thyroid was fine but I found a cortisol issue that had trickled down to a low testosterone issue, and several significant micronutrient deficiencies including vitamin D, B12 and iron (preanemic).

Don't underestimate the impact of micronutrient deficiencies. For example, your body needs iron to regulate metabolsm and to perform athletically; B vitamins are responsible for properly metabolizing carbs, protein.and fat; vitamin D impacts digestive health.

My deficiencies didn't make sense to my diet and lifestyle so I started investigating possible malabsorption (gut health) issues. I wanted to be sure to locate the first domino, not just treat symptoms indefinitely. In addressing these issues, my body finally slowly started to respond again to diet and exercise like it used to. I'm still not fully recovered but am finally making progress for the first time in 5 years.

I only got this far through my own research, being proactive with doctors, continuously asking why to every problem that was found, taking matters into my own hands with high quality supplements and regular testing. Why do I have low testosterone? Why do I have micronutrient deficiencies? Etc. Otheriwse, I'd still be watching doctors shrug like nothing is wrong as I gained more and more weight (among many other symptoms), being treated like I'm lazy and told to eat better and exercise more, or told to just accept it as normal aging.

• Posted

... Or told its all in my head and I need anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.