I'm glad I had the operations

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am at the time of writting this recovering from my 3rd surgical procedure in so many years. Having suffered for about 20 years from increasingly frequent painful abcesses and having had buckets loads of antibiotics, drainage of absesses etc I was eventualy referred to a plastic surgeon who initally excised and packed the areas of chronic infection in both armpits. This unfortunately developed into fistulas which continued to leak offensive pus dispite antibiotics.Again I had surgery .This timrehe totally removed all hair follicles,sweat glands etc (extensive surgery) with skin grafts. This time IT WORKED. Yes the graft site was extremly painful but my armpits no longer leaked and were healed within 10weeks thanks to the daily dressings by the district nurses.I could wear light coloured clothes without the embarressment of leakage marking my clothes.Thank you Mr Stewart.Go for it if you are offered surgery as it was worth it.This time I have had surgery to my buttocks which were leaking and required me to wear pads all the time. They are healing well.

THERE IS LIFE AFTER HIDRADENITIS SUPPERVITA

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi my name is joanne and decided not to have surgery on a lump in my groin area. after hearing the terror stories about the ops, and my lump has went down for now. dont know what to do about it.
  • Posted

[quote:52aaa72325=\"JOANNE Sxjxj \"]hi my name is joanne and decided not to have surgery on a lump in my groin area. after hearing the terror stories about the ops, and my lump has went down for now. dont know what to do about it.[/quote:52aaa72325]

Hi Joanne,Not every one has bad experiences with surgery. I thought I was the only person who had HS but this page has shown me I was not alone ( and I'm a qualified nurse!)

At present the lump has gone but guarenteed it will return usually worse then the time before. The pain and discomfort I dont miss.

Yes when I had my arms operated on the worst pain was from the skin graft site not the arms These healed slowly but completly and I eventually went back to work after 12 weeks. This time I had surgery on my buttock right down to the anal margin. The area was excised and laid open. It is now almost 5 weeks since my surgery and the district nurse who comes in regularly to make sure everything is ok says it should be healed within the next 10 days or so.I am delighted with the arms and so far with the bum!.Anything is better than wearing pads for ever to prevent leakage onto my clothes. I wish you well if you decide to go ahead with surgery

• Posted

Hi, My Mum had extensive surgery in her armpits for this condition & it worked - in that area! It then spread to her groin, under her breasts & her stomach!

I also suffer with this awful condition & have done for 19 years - although my diagnosis only happened about 9 years ago! I fortunaltely only suffer in my groin area & thighs but have had the odd boil appear under my breast & one in my armpit. My consultant whom i have been seeing for the last 3 years (one of many!!) is not convinced surgery is the right option for [i:632a57a544]me[/i:632a57a544]. She has recently been to America for an HS conference where they are huge on surgery, but she said the procedure is horrific & the scarring you're left with is gruesome! I wish anybody luck who goes for this option you're very brave. My heart goes out to you!

• Posted

Hi its joane thanks for that. still not sure what to do. trying homeopathic remedies to see if they help in some way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.