I'm having a hard time sleeping since I have anxiety/panic attacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, just wanted to say that I am new to this and I hope you guys and girls can help me. I try to fall asleep but every night it is very difficult for me. I am even scared to fall asleep since I feel like I will sleep and never wake up. Basically I feel like I'm going to pass away. No matter how many times I tell myself that it's just my anxiety (I'm only 15 years old) it doesn't help. I feel like my heartbeat is way too slow and I feel like it will slow down so much that it will just give out. I have went to the hospital twice and had EKG done, along with blood tests. Everything came back normal, except for my glucose levels. Normal range is 70 - 100 if I remember correctly, and mine was at 106. It was because I only ate like one meal a day, and rarely some kid of snack, so I guess that my body was producing more sugar than it needed to and I'm also guessing that that is why I'm having these panic attacks. I'm eating more that I did previously and I'm also doing exercise since anxiety is, if I'm not mistaken, adrenaline coursing your body. I still feel like it doesn't work even though it's been about 2-3 weeks since I started. It's currently midnight where I'm at and I can't sleep, too scared. Anyone have any advice to share please? This is driving me a little nuts and it's scaring me at the same time. I had a history of caffeine use, or monster energy, throughout my 7th grade year, stopped, then started again half of freshman year ( I'm in high school, currently a sophomore) and I stopped since I had a panic attack the last time I had a monster energy. Then I started using a flavored water enhancer for 2 months straight, basically my summer vacation, and I stopped exactly on August 1. Then I happen to be those people who would bottle up emotions and never let them out since I don't know what I do if I just give in to it and explode ( mostly it's anger). I'm so confused since I feel like I have so many things that trigger these episodes and I feel like I can't control it. Someone please give me advice on this. It worries me so much.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Omar, What did your doctor say when your tests came back? Did he make any suggestions? At 15 years old it's not good for you to be experiencing panic and anxiety  - monster energy burts as you put it can lead to outbursts of anger and sometimes violence. Please think about returning to your GP. In the meantime why not contact The Samaritans and talk through your problems with someone who is always happy to listen.
    • Posted

Hello gwen, I will first say thank you for the reply. Yes I do know that it is unhealthy for me to experience this at a young age. My general physician (if that's what you mean by GP) and the nurses that attended me at the hospital suggested that I eat right, 3 times a day instead of the one time a day that I got used to, and to exercise to help with the adrenaline. Also I did forget to mention that my father does have the same issues as me and has been on medication for 5 years, but I'm pretty sure he didn't experience it at 15 years of age. At least, he hasn't told me if he ever did experience it when he was young. But, really I was just recommended the same things as any other person who also has this problem. I have been off monster energy. I managed to kick the habit last year, halfway through my freshmen year. No way I'm touching those things again. And as for the question of the test results, again, my generale physician and nurses who took care of me said the everything was normal, except for my glucose level, which was a little over the normal range, reading at a level of 106. He said my habit of eating very little has to change as I am also doing weightlifting. These panic attacks have died down but they as still pretty annoying as anything small, such as noises from everyday life, can trigger my panic attacks. I have a little more control of the situation than I previously had but I still have a long way to go. Thanks for the input and advice gwen, I appreciate it.

• Posted

Omar,  I think you need to follow up with your doctor. I do hope you do not return to drinking energy drinks. They are horrible horrible things, especially for someone as young as you are. Cafeine overload is not good for anyone! You may want to monitor what you are eating to make sure it is enough (enough of the right things) and get the doctor to check your sugar levels again. You may be hypoglycemic. That can play havoc with your body as well. I am not a doctor but I do have a nephew who went through something very similar. Hope you get the answers you are seeking soon! 
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice robin. I was thing that I might have that condition your nephew has. I am eating more that I used to and I'm exercising to help with any adrenaline I have. I have dropped the habit of energy drinks since the panic attack I had that last time I drank one scared me badly. I guess had to learn the hard way. I have been told my glucose level was a little high the day I went to the hospital for the second time. But that was the only thing that was off, everything else was fine. Next time I see my GP, I will ask if he can test my glucose levels so I can make sure it is back into the normal range. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate the input.
  • Posted

Hi

i also have anxiety.i am on medications.its sure helping me.but i have started cold water bath if u can do it.excercise is must n meet ppl around.i can't sleep either sometimes.fitst it was so bad i took benadryl now i dont need it sometimes i take melotonin wen its too hard to sleep.

i drink apple cider vinegar mixed with juice.

hope all this helps.i was scared to drive it had becpme sdp bad but slowly slowly i m getting there.

hope u feel better

• Posted

Thank you for the suggestions preeti. As I have a father who has been taking Xanax for 5 years for the same problem, I see where you are coming from. Obviously I am way too young to be taking that kind of stuff, even sleep aids for that matter. I will try to apply your suggestions to see if it helps me. Thank you.
    • Posted

hi omar

yes u r way too small for medications but try vold shower if u can take that.i m an induan and libing in usa since 7 years.u can try apple cider vinegar .i will inbox u a website where it shows all home remedies.

• Posted

I know this is the wrong thread hut am I in trouble?

an someone help me please? I take Propranolol 10mg, once 3 times a day and I think I might of accidentally taken 4 instead of 3. Am I gonna be okay? I also have a fear that I woke up at 7am, took Propranolol, went back to bed and then took it again at 7:15 or 7:30 and that's making me feel anxious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.