I'm having a problem with leaking throughout the day!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am an active 71 yr. old. I had a TURP done May 3, 2016.  Surgery went well, cath was removed the next day.  My flow (urunation) is very strong and complete.  However, I am experiencing what I call the dribbles throughout  the day.  Is this normal?  I'm hoping that one day soon, my bladder sphincter will return to normal.

Looking forward to hearing from those of you that have experience my dilema and what was the outcome. 

Thanks....

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

John, My TURP was Dec 2015, still dribbling day and night, and can't pass a running tap or waterfall without an accident. No erections or  ejaculation either but am going for Physio on Monday with investigation of Pelvic Floor exercises as can't even get my penis to move.  Hope you have more success than me.

David

• Posted

David,

Thank you for your follow up. 

I have not experienced the dribbles at night and I have no problem with erections and ejaculation.  Just day time dribbles.

Let's see if we hear form others.  Maybe they can help us some answers.

Here's hoping that your physical therapy will help you with your issues!

GOOD LUCK!

John...

• Posted

Hi John, i had my Turp in March `15... i had dribbling for 2 weeks after op, daytime only, but i had a penile irratation for 12 months further, not debilitating but annoying!! this has now gone as has any dribble, and as an active 68 yr old..thank goodness, as cycling is my main occupation these days, i don`t count w\alking football and golf!! i think patience is called for, i did stop alcohol and REAL coffee for awhile and that seemed to help? however i am back to normal habits ( i never drank beer or spirits) so there is a contrdiction there!!... only very occasionaly now do i dribble (in a rush and not finished properly) and very occasionaly an irratant in the peeing system!! usually linked to (??de-hydration??) only my take on that! so again time i guess will tell, keep us updated, good luck..Syd
    • Posted

Thanks, Syd...I like the idea of, "there maybe light at the end of this tunnel".

I do like my coffee in the AM and I have related some of my morning dribbles to the coffee when it seems more active. I should try going without to see what happens.

Again, thank you for your feed back.

John...

• Posted

Research the computer for incontience exercises. I have been doing them for years. All parts of the body tend to go to pot as one ages. 
    • Posted

I agree that as we age, things are start to go south.  However, my issue only manifested itself after my TURP.  My doctor stated that in 90%  of patients there maybe some Issue of continence but that it should go away with time. However, the older the patient, incontinence issue maybe greater.

Thank you for your input!

• Posted

Hi John. I had a Turp June and still find dribbling a bit of a problem . I used a pad for a while to catch the drips. It does get better. Hang in there.

Robin

• Posted

Hi Robin, I look forward to the next step of "drops".  My dribbling problem requires me to use a pad and it's a problem.  

Thanks for the your encouragement.

John...

• Posted

John,

What you are experiencing is not unusual. When you have a TURP, you lose quite a bit of the muscle control, especially over your bladder, and the ability to control it, thus the fact that right after the TURP, you're running to a bathroom with no bladder control at all. I had a TURP in October of 2015, and I concentrated on doing a stomach and lower bladder exercise called a "Kegal". Look it up. Pretty much it's like tightening your lower bladder area when you are trying to urinate, as if you are trying to stop the flow. Don't do Kegals when you are actually voiding, but while lying down, watching TV etc. I would do 10 repetitions, then rest, 10 more, rest. etc. Once you strengthen that area down there, the dribbles should cease and you'll be a happy guy. I had the exact same issue, Kegals fixed it. 

• Posted

Yes, Kegals are important for everyone~! More so as one ages~!!
  • Posted

John  I am sorry that your having a problem.  Sometimes a turp is not the way to fix the problem.  You end up with more.  As you can see some of the other men still have leaks after a year.  You may have to do CIC or the doctor may want to do it again.  Good luck  Ken 
  • Posted

FULL recovery from TURP can often take as long as a year and if you should be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident that causes trauma your original prostate problems can recur.
  • Posted

From reading comments on this thread it would seem a TURP could have more problems than having the Prostate removed. It makes you think why if they are only cutting a small piece off to allow the catheter to pass by plus pass urine easier. I now wish they had taken my Prostate away as I would not have Prostatitis and all of its pain, plus they could not make my incontinence or erections etc any worse.  Anybody used the electronic Kegel machine that says it helps incontinence and getting erections ?.

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.