I'm having gallbladder out - Help!

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have now seen the consultant and he has confirmed I need to have my gallbladder out, filled in forms and they did bloods whilst there and said operation date will arrive shortly. Now because of this I have been reading a bit more about the op and to be honest I'm now even more worried than I was.

I've seen some posts about making sure you keep your underwear on for the op, surely they cover you up and don't leave you laying there naked? Didn't worry about this until I read that!

The consultant said sometimes they have to leave a drain in for a few days and then you go back and have it removed, has anyone had this before?

Keep seeing stories of people feeling worse after having it removed than they did before, im hopeing that the majority feel better?

If everything is ok and I feel ok do you think I will be able to go back to work after a week? Or will I need the 2 weeks off!

Sorry for lots of questions, got lots going through my head!

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lucy,

I'm in the US and I just had my gallbladder out laparoscopically 5 weeks ago. While I still have some nausea, which was my problem before the surgery, I definiately don't feel worse and overall I feel a little better. The truth is I probably have something else going on and will need to see the doctor again to look into other possibilities. I have no side effects from the surgery at all.

I did not get a drain and it definitely took 2 weeks to be able to bend and lift things again, so do take off more time from work. I was nude but had a full coverage gown and that was fine, very modest. Also, you may want to ask the anesthesiologist about using antiemetics, as anesthesia tends to make some people feel sick and this can keep you in the hospital longer. I had antiemetics and I felt super after the surgery and went home only a few hours after it was done. I had no narcotic pain relievers at all and got by with Tylenol as the pain was not too bad. Let us know if you have any other questions and good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for that advice, my mum always gets really sick after having anaesthetic so I will mention that!

• Posted

I am not a dr, but 2 weeks, all depending on your job title. I had my gallbladder out dec 30 th 2016, still recovering from surgery.  Need to really don't do much lifting or using your stomach museles.  I also had a hernia removed so I might be a little more time to recover.  I am on medical retirement so I am not worried about going back to work.  If you can collect disability till you can go back to work, then relax and rest your self to recover. 

• Posted

Thankyou. Hope yours went well and you continue to recover well.
  • Posted

Hi Lucy, don't believe everything you read, I had my Gallbladder out on the 3rd November.

My problems started the end of February last year, i was having attacks ever few weeks, awful sickness,chronic pain in the abdomen which would last up to 9hrs at a time.

My weight went from 13st 1lb to 8st 2lbs I felt so ill, I went to A&E after one awful attack.

The op went well I was sick, but this can happen, but you maybe fine so don't worry.

The comment about underwear is rubbish you put a gown on, take underwear off, don't worry about this, you have your dressing gown and slippers on.

The nurses, surgeon and anaesthetist explain everything and will answer any questions you have the canula is put usually put in at this point.

Mine was put in when I went into the operating rooms, but this was because they had been having trouble getting mine in at the hospital due to my poor condition.

I walked to the theatre the nurses asked me to take dressing gown & slippers off lie on the couch, you keep gown on and they cover you with blankets, they chat to you all the time, check your arm band with your name etc, at this point the cannula was put in, but I didn't feel it go in the mask was put on 3 deep breaths and I was fast asleep.

4 insitions with keyhole surgery which are a bit sore for a couple of weeks, but it's nothing, eat small portions of food same as pre op then very gradually build things into your diet, remember take it easy everything gets better.

I take1 digestive enzyme capsual if I eat a fatty or big meal, I also bought some Artichoke extract which is supposed to in courage the liver to produce bile which aids digestion, buy from a good internet suppier the tablets have higher ingredients/values.

I weigh 9st 10lbs now, feel stronger and am back to my old self.

Remember our bodies are all different.

I am thinking of you. Xx😜

• Posted

Thankyou so much, that has really helped give me an idea of what will happen, I'm so pleased yours went well and you are now back to your old self.

I am fed up of feeling sick all the time and the constant niggles that are there with the bouts of bad pain so will be pleased to get it out.

Thanks for the advice on lifting, I will take it easy and hopefully make a quick recovery.x

• Posted

Oh bless you any advice you need you can get on this site, Everyone is really helpful.

I was also scared after reading some of the problems people can have, but when you feel as ill as I was you will do anything to get rid of the attacks.

My friend had her Gallbladder out but I guess she was luckier than me (if you can say that) because she had pain and was put forward by her doctor for surgery and had it out within 3 months.

As I said my attacks were coming every week, anything seemed to set it off 😱😰I was put on the list last September and told the waiting time was 6 months in Herefordshire which meant i wouldn't have had it done until at least May this year.

I had 1 ultrasound which showed stones ,inflammation and wall thickening.

I then had an MRI scan, which was ok some people get frightened but personally for me it was a breeze.

Late October last year i was at my wits end ,so I emailed my consultant and told him that my life had become unbearable, my work and home life was being effected, my weight was down by four and a half stone.

My husband was begging me to go to A&E all the time, but if you go in they can't do the op because of the inflammation and you get sent home.

So I would say it pays to keep in touch with the hospital because it's not their fault but you are just another no on the list.

Good luck, hang in there. Xx

Have you got a date for your op?

• Posted

Ps don't  do any lifting after the op,no hoovering house work etc you could get a umbilical hernia, remember you've had major surgery, just because you only have small incisions the inside needs to heal. Xx

• Posted

Hi Lucy

I am awaiting a date for my operation to have my gallbladder removed and I am a little concerned after reading some horror stories online.

I have had some real bad attacks of pain on an off for a couple of years the first time they done tests and all that showed up was I had a hiatus hernia that was about 5-6cm so they operated on that as they thought that was the problem.

Turns out I was still getting pains, luckily it is the same consultant they done tests again earlier last year and it showed nothing a few months passed and attacks came back again. New tests showed I have micro crystals in my gallbladder so he wants to remove it and has put me on the waiting list. Pre op tests getting done on 25th Jan and I see him again on 7th Feb then hopefully operation soon after.

I have some concerns but hopefully it will all be fine.

Hope everything ok with yours.

Michele

• Posted

Thankyou, hope yours goes well as well. I'm sure we will be ok and will soon start to feel so much better.

I've had my pre op tests just waiting for the op date to come through, I'm hoping it comes soon so that I can sort out time off with work. Please let me know how you get on.x

• Posted

Omg I am having my GB out on the 19th too absolutely pooping it x I am so paranoid cos I am a little overweight and smoke too 😔 So really scared of being put to sleep x I am having mine removed cos I had a bad infection in it in September that turned into blood poisoning so I spent a week in hospital on strong antibiotics, they found a had a very large gall stone wedge in the GB, strange cos before this I had not one problem/pain.

• Posted

Hope all goes well for you Sarah, I'm sure it will do. I'm also a little overweight but I think they are very good with anaesthetics so you will be okay 😊. Please let me know how you get on .xx

• Posted

Hello-

I was just as nervous as you were/are when I had my gall bladder out March 3015. Mine was working at 22% - I had non-stop nausea between the attacks, even on a zero fat diet,  I had no stones - gall bladder was just ruined from some very difficult stress that year before.  My doctor told me striaght out with this type of gall bladder removal (no stones) I would have a 20% chance of continuing to have problems after it.  My husband had the same surgery, same year even, same type of gall bladder damage, with no stones.  He is the lucky 80%, unfortunately in all honesty I am the 20% doctor talked of.  You have to weigh that out when considering your surgery.  

Regardless to what group you belong of percentages, just keep in mind you will have a lot of post-op pain, esp. where they remove the gall bladder.  It is up to you on taking strong pain meds for this - we both chose to go without those as we didn't like their side effects.

You will want to go slow with everything - moving, eating food - my pain was very intense the first 3 days - I will not lie - by day 10 I finally was feeling I was on the road to recovery.. Age can play into this of course.

I would not advise heavy lifting for some weeks after, as it will strain on that area of the surgery - but please be sure to listen to your own surgeon/hospital on this.

My surgeon advised staying on a lower fat diet for life, as it will lead to easier adjustments for digesting food, and is better for you anyway.  It does take a little while to add different foods back in, but even though my husband fared better than myself, he still will never eat a greasy fried fish dinner again, etc. - just not worth the digestion issues.

I am curious if you have the stones type of issue - if so, they say recovery success from issues is higher than for my type.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, from over here in the States -

Take care - Jonna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.