I'm having hallucinations after long illness

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had a bad cough and congestion for 6 weeks now. I've had a temperature and high blood pressure with it. Felt dreadful. Dr gave me antibiotics for bronchitis, they didn't have any effect. This appears to be a common seasonal issue experience by many in my area. I've been self medicating with Paracetamol or Co-Codamol to help with symptoms.  In the last few nights I've been getting hallucinations, initially just visual, last night audible too. I know they're not real, but disturbing nevertheless. 

I would like any suggestions or experiences on how they can be dealt with.

My Dr has asked for blood tests and Xrays, but I think that's a delaying tactic as he doesn't know what to do.

How do you cope, can you get rid of it.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My daughter had a chronic cough for many weeks. She did not stop coughing all day and all night. Neither of us had any sleep. It was so bad that she fractured a rib. She had antibiotics and x-rays. Finally we asked for a private consultation (which you shouldn't really have to do) and it was found that she had acid reflux which was causing the cough. She was put on a course of tablets for the reflux and within 24 hours her symptoms started to improve.  She remained on the tablets for several weeks and has now stopped taking them.  She knows the signs and symptoms now and will start the tablets as and when required. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.