I'm having my gallbladder removed soon but having an endoscopy too

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm having my gallbladder removed soon due to numerous gallstones but my GP has referred me for an endoscopy aswell as thinks some of my symptoms may not be as a result of gallstones. The main symptom feeling constantly nauseated, no appetite, losing weight and heartburn. What else could possibly be wrong, I assumed these were gallstone symptoms. Also, I'm petrified of the endoscopy too sad Any advice would be great please xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't be afraid of the endoscopy. I had gastroscopy and colonoscopy.. It's pain free. My dr also thought my pain may not be gall bladder.. A ct scan showed many gall stones one very large. I had it all removed 3 weeks ago. I still have some days of the pain but not as severe. It's better than having pain every day. I now get about 6 days pain free then 3 with pain. It's weird I yhought it would all go. But apparently 30 to 40 percent will still get pain. I hope your not one of them 
    • Posted

I don't have bouts of severe pain just a constant ache and tender under my rib on the right hand side. The ultrasound scan I had showed lots of gallstones, therefore removal was recommended. However I have a constant feeling of nausea with no appetite what so ever and have lost lots of weight. I take Omeprazole for the heartburn and wonder what the endoscopy could reveal in addition to the gallstones. I'm wondering whether maybe an ulcer or hiatus hernia? Thank you for taking the time to reply xx
  • Posted

You could have an infection in your stomach, or also over production of acid that is not being neutralized effectively from the blocked or reduced gall expression when the food leaves the stomach and enters the small intestine. Overly acid food in the small intestine can cause those symptoms.  You might want to try an over the counter acid controlling drug like Prilosec.  Many of the generic or cheaper drugs of this nature also gave me nausea so check around for those that work for you.  Also ask your doctor before you start a new medicine.
  • Posted

Hi i had a endoscopy before my gall baldder removal.This was done just to make sure you not got and ulcers ect which might be causing your symptoms.I also was scared of having it done.But it is really not as bad as you imagine it to be.These doctors know what they are doing and make you feel very safe.Your throat will be numb so you don't feel anything.Also you can be slightly sedated so its all going on around you and you get the don't care feeling.I went cold turkey with no sedation and although wouldn't say it was the best of experiences it wasn't THAT bad.All takes about 3mins so not long.I was more concerned with when is the numb feeling going to wear off.Which takes about 45min and they don't let you out till you can drink glass of water.If you have keyhole for the gall bladder removal,you probable be out the same day.I was in overnight i think because i'm over 60.After you feel a bit uncomfortable but not in bad pain.When you are home you will feel a bit out of sorts and move around bit more slowly.Takes about 2 weeks to feel your old self and yah! no more pain.Well worth having done.Hope you ound this helpful and good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.