I'm having open heart surgery in on Nov 16

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have an ascending aortic aneurysm and having surgery 11/16. I have a great surgeon buy am concerned that I live alone. I'm in good shape but am having anxiety that going home I could have problems. Am I being ridiculous?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. How old are you?

Is this your first heart surgery?

Usually if you make them aware you live alone they will make sure you meet certain milestones before letting you out the hospital and can arrange home help if you want it.

I live in UK and thats how it works here (not sure where your from?)

• Posted

Im 52...in good shape but really have no idea of the extent of my surgery. I may jave valve replacement and some bypass issues. I'll find out on Tuesday after angiography. Im not worried about the surgery just that I have no one to help me if needed. I never want to inconveniance anyone but am afraid I may need some help.

• Posted

Yes i understand.

Is this going to be your first heart surgery.

I'm 23 years old and have had 12 heart surgeries so far. I have 2 mechanical valves.

I'm sure your will be able to speak to your cardiologist and get an idea of what you will and will not be able to do afterwards and what you will need help with

• Posted

Thank you. I'm very optimistic yet concerned about the post op. I guess they really don't have an idea until afterwards. That's ok as long as I have something planed out. I really don't want anyone to feel obligated to my recovery.

• Posted

You can't do much for yourself in the first few weeks after the operation. It took me the best part of three months to get back to normal after aortic valve replacement but I was 78. It does not really matter much which surgery you have as it all involves cutting your chest open. Assuming you are in the UK they start you on cardiac rehab classes to get you back into shape.

You will have a pre assessment prior to surgery and they will go into your home circumstances then. At one time the NHS used to have convalescent hospital for patients until they got back on their feet but I expect that they are long gone by now.

• Posted

Thank you. I'm probably just being overly dramatic. In the end...it will be what it is and the only thing I can do is be compliant with their instructions.

• Posted

You certainly won't be able to fend for yourself in the first few weeks. They tell you to start with two 15 minute walks a day and gradually increase. I was fortunate to have my operation at the end of May so I was able to walk and sit outside.

The worst part is on the second day after your operation when two physios get you out of bed and walk you along the corridor and up two flights of stairs with a rest on each landing. I got back from that sweating and gasping for breath!  

I found I was virtually pain free on coming round and tried to refuse pain killers apart from at night.

• Posted

I hope you will find a way to get more comfortable asking for help. Best of luck to you.
  • Posted

Hi Bengrp

I have always been the ill one.. and I have never wanted to inconvenience anyone.. I would rather lie on the floor for hoursthan ask for help...

and then my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer very suddenly. those 18 months spent at his bedside taught me a lot ..

I wanted to do something, anything to make him more comfortable..

I learned that it is so much easier to lie in the bed sick as can be than to stand beside it just wanting to do something, anything to help.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I am not medically trained to know about your condition but if you are unsure about returning have a close friend or family member whom can be with you for a few days till you settle in back at home... Or you stay with them but No I don't think you are ridiculous it's human nature to feel some form of apprehension.. Try not to over focus on it and please if can't please talk to your gp about your concerns.. You should not be stressing before surgery... Keep me informed how you are doing..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.