I'm Having Open Myomectomy & I'm So Scared :(

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello Everyone!

So......... I'm booked to have open myomectomy in a few weeks and I'm soooo scared. I've be informed that I have about 8-9 fibroids however they could turn out to be more. The largest fibroid is bigger than a large grapefruit, not sure the exact size. My main symptoms are pressure in the abdomen/ pelvis, frequent urination and constipation. I used to have heavy bleeding but that subsided on its own somehow. 

I asked my surgeon if I can have keyhole surgery as I really don't want a massive scar on my stomach, however I was informed that I need to have open myomectomy because of the positioning of the fibroids. Also I've got intramural, subserosal and submucosal fibroids. I'm not sure if I'll be having a vertical or horizontal incision, although I'd prefer an horizontal bikini line scar that I can easily. My surgeon said that he'll try not to make the scar too big.

Now with regards to the pain, I have no idea what to expect. I've been informed that I'll be in hospital for 3-5 days following the surgery. I'm just so afraid that something could go wrong and I could end up bleeding excessively during surgery and they could end up removing the uterus but I've heard that this is rare. Or after the surgery I'm worried that I'll have heavier periods than I do now. I've read that some women had this following there surgery. 

I'm having the surgery done at a very reputable hospital with an highly experienced surgeon. He's informed me that it's a straight forward surgery for him and his team but acknowledged that its major surgery for me.

I'm 34 yrs old never had children yet, so I'm doing the surgery now as I'd like to start trying to get pregnant by next year or at most within the next 2 years. I was informed that I can leave it and try to conceive and see how it goes or take the fibroids out now. I've avoided surgery for about three to four years now. I chose to go for it this year following laparoscopy/ hysteroscopy investigation they found that the largest fibroid was blocking my left ovary.

I'm simply freaking me out and I'm wondering if anyone out there is currently in my shoes or if you've recently been in a similar situation as me. I could really do with some words of encouragement. Sometimes I feel like cancelling the surgery altogether as I get so scared when I think about it. sad

Hope to get some advice back.

Have a lovely day all! smile

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all,

I was trying to find some information as I m having an open myomectomy tomorrow and I have been freaking out a bit.

It's so comforting to see that you are not alone and others have the same fears and worries as you.. 

• Posted

Hi i had my open myomectomy march 20 tommorw makes 3 months tommorw . The process went really fast. I was in the a room before you go to surgery they gave me something for the nerves they asked me if i was nervous and i sai yes so they gave me some meds and some other meds through the IV. I was able to see my family. About after an hour i was wheeled in for surgery. Thanks to the meds that was given to me prior i was knocked out within a min or less so i really didn't have time to get freak out or think about what was going to happen😧🙌🏾. When i woke up i was in a room with other people who had just got out of surgery too I'm not sure about the timing but after 30 or an hour my family came to see me. I felt fine than great after i saw my favorite nephews👦🏾🤗🤗🤗😍😊 face so adorable🤗😇. Cutest kid you'll ever meet👑🙏🏾. Anyways. After about an hour i was sent to my room. I wasn't in ant pain guess because of the anesthesia.

• Posted

Getting out of the bed that night was a bit$$ 😧🙊😢😭😭tge nurse was helpful except when she tried rushing my out tge bed😑 that's when i told her to wait😡😠👊🏾👊🏾. But other then that she was helpful when i got out of bed and helping to the bathroom even helping me with my underwear 🙊 the second time i was like i got it😂😂😂🤣🤦🏾. I don't know why but i felt very embarrassed🙈. The pain is unbarable 😢😢😭😭. I had a melt down with my sister over the phone because they didn't want to give me stronger medication. Than i asked the nurses to leave since they weren't no help any ways . This was the next day and the first nurse had left. The second nurses were lazy didn't help me get out of bed just stood there looking stupid like why are u in the room then???😡😠😤🤦🏾🙍🏾 after my mom saw that she helped me to the restroom. The next 3 nurse that took over the shifts weren't any better🤦🏾. The doctors or residents weren't any better refused to give me stronger medicine. Making excuses on becoming addicted to medications 😒🤥. So yeah i just had to deal with the pain. It wasn't all the time but when it came🙊😔😢😭😭😭😭. The only thing i can tell you is talking to your doctor about the meds they are going to give u for meds. Ask them if it's not helping you with ur pain 🗣what other medication are they going to give you! If they tell you they are going to give you 3 different meds that work together or give it to you different times. You should be scare. Becuse that's what happened to me they told me that it was a lower dosage but together the meds should help. IT DOESN'T!!! Ask them is this med stronger or what?? You'll need help getting of bed. It's best to lay down sitting in up hursts. I didn't understand when people would say that till i had my surgery . Make sure before leaving the hospital you get some medication that helps with your pain. U DO NOT WON'T TO GO HOME WITH MEDICATION THAT DOES NOTHING FOR YOUR PAIN!!!! Those 3 are thw most important. You'll get tired easily. Walking make ur back hurts, sitting make ur back. You'll need someone to cook for you. You'll need help getting of bed. Theres no good,way to fet out if bed without it hurting you. Becarful while you're sleeping try not to twist and turn. 2 or 3 times i turned my body not my whole body and i regretted it😢😭😭😭😭. When turning turn your whole body. Hurt so much i was in tears 😢😢😢. I had my mom to take care of me thank god. I couldn't imagine doing this myself. But I've heard other people have. I mean if u don't have anybody you have to do what you have to do.😕

• Posted

Buy Clothes

1.Loose clothes

2.Dresses

3.🗣You can't wear your jeans!!!It's been almost 3 months and i still cant wear my jeans i have like 5 dresses. Bought 5 pairs of Victoria Secret joggers . 😮😯those were a life saver to get around so comfy🤗🤗🤗😊🙌🏾🙌🏾🙏🏾. Think I'll try to wear jeans this week🤔🙌🏾🙏🏾.

4. Buy big girls undies! Till this day it still hurt when i try wearing my underwear😤🤧

5.You are not going to want to do your hair for a while. Combing it gets you very tired. Even putting in a pony tail. I had ro take 3 breaks 😧😦

6. This surgery really takes your energy away. So try to get ypur hair done before surgery or if you have family or friends that can stop by and do your hair. By loose clothes that you can wear out! There's nothing worse then wanting to go out to a gathering but don't because your clothes don't fit! Happened to me twice i really wanted to go too😔🤧.

6. Buy energy drinks! You well be drained and won't feel like doing nothing.

If u have any question ask😎

• Posted

GOODLUCK🙄🙏🏾

Let me know how everything goes. Don't forget your charger you'll need it! AND HEAD PHONES depending how you feel?🏾

• Posted

Thanks for the tips pam87650!!!

Much appreciated! I will leave with my family for a few weeks afterwards so they will be taking care of me

I hope everything will go ok!!

Thanks again!! 

• Posted

Also get stool softner because the medications they give you well make you constipated. I hadn't 💩 for a week so my doctor told me to buy Miralax that helped. Again goodluck. I hope everything goes well!!🙌🏾🙏🏾

• Posted

Hi all,

I was trying to find some information as I m having an open myomectomy tomorrow and I have been freaking out a bit.

It's so comforting to see that you are not alone and others have the same fears and worries as you.. 

• Posted

Hi Kay la-Funk,

I’m in a similar position to you and I have the same anxieties about the operation and possible complications and whether I can have children in the future. 

I’ve just had my first Zoladex injection today to try and shrink my subserosal fibroid. The fibroid measured 18x11x13cm in February and feels like it’s grown more since then. I struggle to pass urine and I have rectal pressure. The plan is to have a myomectomy in September, which gives me chance to have 3 zoladex injections while waiting in hope to shrink it and reduce blood loss in theatre. My biggest fear is waking up and being told that they removed my womb or caught my bowel. I suppose we just have to see this as something that is necessary and it has to be done because at the moment our lives are on hold xxx

• Posted

I was scared to that they would remove my womb. Days begore my surgery before i signed the paper work i spoke to one of the doctors and i told her ya are not going to remove my womb right 🤔🤔 she said no😧🙌🏾. You just have to talk to them. I had like to apps before my surgery taking to the docs and anesthesiologi I talked about my worries what could happen if something went wrong. Google it that's what i did before my app i google what to as before surgery or open myomectomy surgery🙄. And also what to ask an anesthesiologist. There are some scary stuff🤔 but u just jave to.be positive and pray everything well go well🙌🏾🙏🏾. Goodluck🙄 i hope your fibriods shrink!😎🙏🏾

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.