I’m having persistent GI issues - raised stool sample result

Posted , 1 user is following.

Sorry for the long post, but I believe I have a problem with the way my stomach empties. This started about 4 weeks ago.

I feel uncomfortably full after eating. When it first started I could eat a normal sized meal and feel uncomfortably full but now I don’t think I could get through a whole meal (though I haven’t really tried).

After eating a ‘normal’ meal I develop:

Cramps / discomfort in my abdomen and back muscles: the only way to describe is as if I can’t work out if my stomach has to be in or out

Bloating after about 2 hours. In the 2 hours before this it actually feels like the food is settling as if fullness is setting down: sometimes I even start to feel hungry again before the bloating.

Constant gurgling and noise in upper left abdomen and lower left right and abdomen for hours after eating (eg eat at 1500 and still going on when I manage to fall asleep at midnight)

Bouts of diarrhoea after around 3/4 hours of eating (undigested food suggests it’s from that meal)

Wet burps or dry burps which taste of food up to 5/6 hours after eating

Nausea

Acid reflux

A sense that food is sitting in my stomach

Over the last 4 weeks I’ve been in a cycle of trying a meal and have episodes similar to the above. Then I have a day of eating nothing as I can’t bear the discomfort. I rely on bland food (tolerate toast, soup and meal replacement drinks).

I have lost weight - 3.5 kg over the last 3 weeks - I am not eating as much: maybe taking on 700 / 800 calories per day.

Something that had happened in the last 2 weeks is that I have the opposite problem: everything I eat comes straight through. Over a period of between 30mins to 2 hours after food I have diarrhoea that clears my stomach.. This can go on for a whole day then back to normal by the next day.

I am a long term diabetic (T2). I have had episodes of GERD type symptoms over the last few months: reflux, difficulty swallowing. I have been on a PPI for the last few weeks and thing feel calmer if not better.

I am waiting for a Gastroscopy appointment. Also I had a stool sample test. My primary care doctor messaged me to say the stool test was raised and can suggest inflammation in the bowel: I am now being referred to a Gastroenterologist

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.