I'm having puzzling urinary symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Couple of weeks ago, ended up in ER as I could barely pee for hours on end - no urge at all to pass urine. Waited for hours there still without urge, was able to pee very small amounts. Finally got a room, bladder scan read 47 ml's, which is low. This event happened 2 days after a cystoscopy... Was sent home after refusing Foley. Next few days, I was back to my normal self - frequent urination, strong urges to pee a lot, sometimes 5 to 6 times an hour. Got better till yesterday, when symptoms were fine. Flash forward to right now, same situation that ended me up in ER. Drank at least 45 ounces of liquid today, have barely urinated, no urge to go at all, but have pressure on bladder with a feeling of constipation (it's not).

I've been diagnosed with BPH with bladder diverticulum. PSA is 1.2. Uro sent me home with alpha blocker (was already taking rapaflo which I tried to tell him) and a med to 'relax' overactive bladder, which I have not taken in fear of urinary retention. During my cystoscopy, I watched the screen when uro got to my prostate - I saw no obstructing tissue there. Have had urinary issues here since 2013, but in early September, after straining really hard to take a poop, this stuff started, including a strange feeling in my bladder. Has anyone else here gone thru something like this before? Opinions? Please let me know, thanks!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey Buddy

I had a problem like that last year. Went into the hospital for something different. I thought I was having a heart attack.

Well I went in on Sunday evening and they kept me. I took a shower in the morning about 9 AM and with the water running I peed which is normal. Well All day I did not go had no feeling to go at all. The next morning still nothing. By 1 pm still nothing but in a lot of pain. The nurse came in and I asked if I could have something for pain.

She asked why. I said that my groin hurt and I showed her were. She ask when was the last time I peed and I told her yesterday morning. Well they checked and said that I was kinda full and they would have to put a catheter in. Well a few hours later 2 female nurses came in. Well let me tell you I was in so mush pain after them trying to put one in that they had to even give me morphine. Tried 3 time no luck.

They called in Mr. Expert from surgery that was suppose to be able to get it in. Well he did not get it in either. One of the nurses was even in tears. She said she has never seen anyone in that much pain from a catheter. He finely got it in at the end of the bladder neck. It would not stay in. The nurse had to hold it there. They got only 500 cc out.

They told my urologist and I had to have a Rigid Cystoscope He said all was good and my Urollift was still in place. I had a catheter in he said that I could go home Thursday and come in to the office to have the catheter out on Friday. Well the doctor would not let me leave I was still bleeding.

On Friday it was clear so I went home with the catheter and I was to see my doctor on Monday to have the catheter out. Well friday was fine urine was clear. Friday night I empty it before I went to bed. Got up in the morning. They told me to drink a lot which I was. When I got up I noticed some dark liquid. Well by 8 pm they was under 50 cc in the bag and it was a dark burgundy color. Went back to the hospital

Told them that I just got out yesterday and I should them what was in the bag. They told me that I had a bladder infection just from looking at it. They sent it to be checked. Well I had to have a CT sceen I think. It's the one with the Iodine. Had it done and told me that it will take 3 hour to get the results.

Well with in 10 minutes the doctor came in and told me that he had to give me a IV antibiotic and it had to go in fast. It turn out to be a infection but also my bladder was inflamed. That week was a lot for me went through a lot. Was is a total of 10 days. My urologist was very truthful he said that he did not know why it happens. You can be fine one minute and then the next it's He??......

I have been taking Vesicare 10 mg It's a muscle relaxer. I take it in the morning and I have been find this whole year. He also said that it could have something to do with my pelvic muscle and wanted me to go for some stuff. I never went. Don't have the time for that

Sorry that this was so long but I had to tell you what was going on. If your doctor gave you a muscle relaxer try it in the morning for a week it's not going to hurt you and it may help. He also gave me so catheter to have just in case I have that problem again I can do CIC myself.

Have a great day and I am sorry this is so longKen

• Posted

Similar experience as yours with two (YOUNG) nurses trying to insert a scope for cystoscopy. Either they had no idea what they were doing or females should be forever banned from this procedure.

Even better -- anesthesia every time. I will not settle for less if there is a next time. (Not to mention: lying prone with your feet in stirrups and two twenty-somethings fiddling with your maleness is insanely humiliating.)

• Posted

Owen

So sorry about that. I never new a nurse did that. My urologist only does mine. The nurse does put the gel in when I had them in the office. But we joke about it. My doctor nurse lives 2 blocks from me. I have even drove he home a few time. Also I know he husband. All he does is wave and smile at me.

Yes I felt like that to but they were very gentle sometime men are to rough. I can tell you of a problem I had with a male but that can wait.

Take care Ken

• Posted

Nurses placed the wand...or tried to place the wand. Doc came in after it was supposedly inserted, though I doubt it reached the depths he had intended. I was in so much pain he spent less than a minute examining me (for the extreme sensitivity/agony, seemed like a day and a half).He did say the exam showed I did not have bladder cancer. How he deduced that i such a quick view do not know.

Going forward, I am re-focused on those situations where prostatitis is the actual culprit. I recently came off a 3-week run of sulfameth and found my symptoms (groin and prostate-area pain like a moderate toothache) greatly relieved. I am trying to restrict fluids after 7 p.m. The rest of the day, I just hit the mens room every 2 hours or so.

• Posted

Owen

My doctors nurse never did that I will have to ask when I see him next month Glad your doing better. Try to watch what you drink. Stay away for any citric juice. It will irritate the bladder

Take care Ken

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Ken.. I decided to order some caths from a place online without an RX. Been watching a ton of videos online how to do it. Seems rather self-explanatory. Seems like 2 areas of resistance; 1, the first sphincter before prostate, the other one before bladder. These areas I'm guessing are where newbies like myself cause bleeding. Got some coude tips. wet wipes, and to be extra clean, some sterile gloves. I did not want the anxiety of having to go into Doc's office to be 'shown' how to do it. Since right now, I'm without insurance (I can afford it), I figured I'd just do this myself. Only concern is getting that infection of the nuts. Seems to me that happens when someone goes too fast without being carefully sanitary. Thoughts?

• Posted

No problem. Just make sure you clean the tip of your penis and use gloves if you have to. And do not touch anything with the tip of the catheter after you take it out of the sleeveYes there are a lot of videos and go slow. Use a lot of lube and push until it stops. My doctor gave me some for a just in case thing.

I have 14 fr coude catheters. Also when using a coude catheter make sure the tip is up facing you. That is what my urologist told me. I have done it a few time to make sure if I have to do. I found out that if you think about it to much you tense up. If you just do it and take your time it went in easy. I was very surprised.

Good luck. Nice talking to you Ken

• Posted

What are the exact caths you use Ken? I got 14 Fr's coudes. Are yours red rubber reusables, or single usage? I got like 4 Bard's hydros antibacterials. Expensive, but wanted to experiment with those. Also ordered compactcaths in which company FORGOT to pack in the box. Very expensive, but wanted to try those out - also 14Fr

• Posted

What are the exact caths you use Ken? I got 14 Fr's coudes. Magic Bard Hydros, antibacterial. Company forgot to pack a few Compactcaths I ordered so need to get that straight with them. Both have the sleeves so are 'touchless' Both are 14 FR. Do you use the red rubber reusable ones?

• Posted

Good morning.

My Urologist gave me a box of 30 Just in case I need them. Bard it the company Care comfort choice. Magic 3 14 FR Coude Catheter. It comes with a little package of saline and there hydrophilic coated silicone.

Take care Ken

• Posted

Magic 3 14 FR Coude Catheter hydrophilic antibacterial, correct? If so, those are the EXACT same I ordered. Got the little silver package you break then swish cath around in, right?

• Posted

Yes that it does. They are the ones my doctor gave me. There suppose to be good for men that have strictures. Which I do just before the prostate.

Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.