I'm having some soreness in the lower abdomen, is it normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Here's the deal. I had a 12cm dermoid cyst removed by laparotomy a 5 weeks ago. I had my period one week ago approx. with some fatigue and sleepiness along with it but no severe cramping or anything. Now that my period's over since 3 days, I noticed some moderate soreness that i feel around my lower abdomen(uterus and ovaries area) everytime that i make some physical activity. Nothing so severe, it's just that it's kinda sore and i've been wondering the cause of it. I thought maybe i need one more week to be fully recovered from my surgery since my doctor said i needed 6 weeks. So is it normal? Has anyone ever experienced this? Thank you in advance.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer. I was told 4 weeks before I was back to 'normal'! what is 'normal'? We are all different in the rate we heal and the older we are the longer it seems to take. I had a laparoscopic double salpingo oophrectomy and cyst removal last April. It took ages before the soreness you're having improved and I think it's just the inside stitches and wound healing. Outside stitches healed quickly but still have some strange aches and pains in the region of the cuts especially the belly button one. I think it is just the healing process but if it's bad pain/soreness you should ask a doctor or the surgeon who did the operation to put you're mind at rest. Best wishes, Pollyanna rolleyes

• Posted

Yes, don' worry it's normal, April for me as well, and still getting twinges.

• Posted

Definitely normal although you shouldn't be sore too much longer. I've read that full recovery / internal healing can take 6 months so even after the soreness is gone, you may have some mild twinges of discomfort. I had those even past the year mark. Hope you're back to normal soon!

• Posted

It'd normal , try to take baby steps. After my first was 8 weeks before I could do some of the stuff I did before I had my dermoid out. Gotta remember they cut through muscle so takes time to heal and strengthen again. Did they give you exercises to help with healing??

Xx

• Posted

Idiots, u in UK??

Ones that helped me first time was:

Laying on a soft but firm service (firm bed or carpeted floor) place both feet flat on the floor keeping knees together slowly move your knees left as far as you can but not to floor then the other way, doing this starting in 6-8 at a time n more as you loosen.

Again laying on soft but firm floor feet on floor flat slowly lift one knee horizontal to floor and pull towards abdomen then softly out in a stretch same for other leg, 5-7 of these till strengthened.

Sitting on your bottom lean back slightly and raise legs off floor slowly and gently twist ur body to left n right, gently !!!

These will help stenthen the muscles they cut n releive some soreness over time, when your more moveable mainly 6 weeks on try squats too they help move n stenthen the muscles bk into shape n relieve soreness

Hope this helps x

• Posted

If it's just tender yes. Pollyanna is on point. One thing I learned after major surgery. You learn a new 'normal'.

The incision is still sensitive. (Years later) A jab or bump in the right spot reminds me there's a scar there.

Occassional twinges come and go but minor. But it makes you wonder, is this normal. Yes it is. Depending on what gets moved, cut, sewn things poke. I had internal suture pieces work through to the surface years later. (Flipped out, but found out happens sometimes)

Getting to feel 100% may take some time. Back to work 6 weeks. Easily fatigued or feeling uncomfortable lasting 6 months. I was 49 though. I didn't feel 'normal' until about 10 months.

The Drs normal is when you a physically able to return to your routine but that does not mean 100%. Get regular rest, light exercise, healthy diet. I found a multi vitamin helped a lot. B vitamins very important for healing. Just be kind to yourself. My female boss came back from a double mastectomy 2 weeks post surgery with drains still in!! She was just trying to be tough, but everyone thought she was crazy and desperate.

It will take what it will take. Twinges are normal so give your body the time it needs. Pain needs Drs care.

Hope this helps. Congratulations for getting this far. The finish linebisvin sight. Before you know it you'll realize you haven't thought about it for days. Then you'll know.

Pat

• Posted

5 weeks since surgery isn't long. Yes you will be mostly recovered but my gyno also said a good 6 months for internal healing. I'm 9 weeks post op from getting two 10 cm cysts removed by laparotomy and still getting bloating and jabbing pain and general discomfort. I did have two surgeries sighing 5 days of each other though due to complications with the first one causing a collection of blood to form in my abdomen! When your body has to go through a period after surgery it can be painful too. I hadn't period when going in for the original surgery, which ended up lasting 15 days and have had another two periods also in the past 9 weeks! Not much fun but my gyno said it'll take the ovaries a bit of time to get back into the swing of things!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.