I'm in so much pain it's unbelievable

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

i have an ulcer on my left ankle, which appeared after grazing it at work on a pallet.

I am in so much pain it is unbelievable, especially when rested and in bed also.

It seems to be fine while at work and busy through the day. But as soon as soon as i stop and am inactive it hurts like hell.

I am currently treating with manuka honey dressings and compression socks.

Any advice on how to be rid of this hellish pain gladly received.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie.I also have an ulcer on left leg by ankle,For the first three weeks I was also in awful pain with it and like you it was when I got  home from work and in bed it was worse.It caused me to limp.I    don't know how long you have had yours. I still have mine but pain has mostly gone now(after about 3 weeks) I am still aware of it  though

I  had to take paracetomol 4 times a day and ibuprofen morning and night .I hate taking pain killers but it was the only thing to give me peace.

I just keep it covered ad wear class 2 compresson stockings .You also need to see your practise nurse to check for infection and advice.I don't know where you are from but help should be availalble.Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Mollie

I have been suffering this now for about 3 months.

I have been to my doctor who swabbed for infection and put me on a course of antibiotics and i was given class 1 compression socks.

I seem to be fine through the day, i get the odd sharp pain now and then if i sit down but nothing major.

I try to elevate my leg when resting but i find it really painful and am more comfortable with it down.

I change my dressing every evening after my shower. Using a fresh manuka honey dressing each night.

The wound itself looks like it is getting better ( very slowly) but the pain is just not easing up at all.

The funny thing is the pain is not in the wound which is on the side of my ankle. But the pain is on the top of my foot and up the front of my leg.

The ulcer i can handle but the pain is so excrutiating i feel sick with it. I have never experience pain like this before, and i usually have a high pain threshold .

I think i might go back to doctors this week for more advice.

What treatment did you use on the wound.

• Posted

Hi I agree the pain I had was also above the ulcer and up my shin bone which I can only assume was the nerves relating to the ulcer.My leg circulation is pretty rubbish (inherited from my mother I guess) so I suffer from small ulcers from time to time.This one has been the most painful.

My ulcer is best treated dry.The nurse put this strip of blue mesh on it which draws the bad bits out and dries it up.I am sorry I do not know what it was called then compression bandage or low adhesive plaster.I cream my legs every evening but only change the plaster every 3/4 days.It s best not to interfere to much(So I am advised)I am going back later in the week to get more advise from the nurse so will pass on anything of interest to you. Everyone advises Manuka but I am a little reluctant as it makes my wound a little soggy.(Can t think of a correct medical expression)

I too have never had pain like this and know exactly what  you are going through with it.The pain is supposed to ease as it heals so it wouldn t be a bad idea to go back.

Kind Regards

• Posted

Hi Mollie

Can i ask how long have you suffered from this?

This is my first ulcer and I'm quite shocked at what I'm finding when researching info about it.

Some of the peoples pictures are quite gruesome. And some peoples stories quite scary on time scale for the healing of them.

I thought at first it would be a case of a few weeks course of antibiotics and keeping it clean and dressed. And then that would be it. ?

But I'm quite worried at some of what I've read.

Going to try to get a doctors appointment for after work tomorrow for more antibiotics and see if there is anything they can suggest for the pain.

Regards

• Posted

Hi again,This is my 4th one.I am lucky in the case that they are small .If I get help immediately they can be gone in 6-8 weeks .The first one I had for about 5/6 months but there was no pain in that one.This one I have had for about 7/8 weeks.It is improving but it s in a delicate place I am worried it will break down again .So we ll just see .Pain is less now  though thank goodness

Regards Mary

• Posted

Hi again,

4th one oh my god. You must be really fed up either that or getting used to having them now.

From discussions I'm having with you and others. It sounds like i better start getting used to it being a regular occurrence .

Never got my doctors appointment today, appointments were all taken when i finally got through to the receptionist. So up early tomorrow to try again. 😉

• Posted

Hi Mollie sorry you are in so much pain but that is the ugly truth of ulcers. Unfortunately for people like you  and me (Have had ulcers on off for many years) nobody can really understand how bad the pain really is. I am in compression bandages and have been for either leg since 2013 but had ulcers before this but they always healed with normal bandaging but as I have got older have needed the compression. I anybody has ulcers that will not heal then they should be referred to a tissue viability nurse who will usually do a Doppler to see what the circulation is like. Believe me things can change quickly. Had a Doppler about 2 years ago everything was fine then had one 6 months ago and artery in right leg is furred. I am due to have another one in about 2 weeks. All I am saying if anyone has ulcers that are difficult to heal or are coming back then should really be referred to the ulcer clinic as they have all the up to date treatments. Originally I was referred to a Doctor of Dermatology and he talked of vacuum therapy and maggots but my tissue nurse I would not cope with the pain so initially for my left leg I was put on Manuka honey dressings and compression bandaging. The honey hurt like hell but it healed the ulcer! Not saying I am an authority on ulcers but I have had them on and off since my twenties and I am now in my fifties! They say not to smoke but when in constant terrible pain the ciggies are the first thing I reach for. Pain so bad when bandages are changed I cannot eat even. It's so nice to be on a site where other people understand what you are going through. Good luck and I hope your pain is gone for good now.

• Posted

I would try for an appointment with the nurse because the Doctor will refer you to her anyway.Also the nurse can get you any prescriptions if necessary smile

• Posted

I got an appointment today.

I've been taken off the manuka honey dressings. And been given another type of dressing with silver in it.

No more antibiotics cos she doesn't like you to be on them too long. I have to go back in 2 weeks to see how things are going. So just have to wait and see.

I hope you are still healing well.

💜

• Posted

I think it s one of those that is going to take a little while owing to where it is situated.At least there s no pain now.

I am glad you are being sorted! I am going back next week to get measured again for new socks and I can get her to have a sort then. Take care smile

• Posted

I hope i can say I've no pain soon too.

Hopefully this new dressing will work i feel a difference already. The pain is only in the wound now, which is a first and i got a full nights sleep for the first time in weeks. 😁

Good luck for next week and may the healing keep going for both of us. 👍

• Posted

Hi Your post was from 5 months ago and I have ulcer with MUCH pain for 2 months. Just wondering if you are any better.I am going to a wound center but they are referring me elsewhere.they think it is pyoderma gangrenousm! Thanks for taking the time for me.
  • Posted

Just replied with great long reply but first time on site not quite with it yet. In short Manuka honey and compression works but very painful. Paracetamol alone will not work on pain but taken at the same time with Tramadol should give some relief. Oramorph (Morphine solution) is helpful as is Gabapentin and 10mg of Amitriptyline at night. Have to cut my reply short cos need to take

painkillers now (ironically)  Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Jackie if you read my reply to Mollie that might help you. New to all this so hope I am doing this correctly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.