I'm just not getting well

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I was put on unithroid about a montha ago, i was having problems with levoxyl i had been on for about 3 months, my level was good the first 8 weeks on levoxyl the TSH 1.4 range 0.45 -4.500, then about 3-4 weeks later it went to TSh of 4.71, no idea why.  Within 2 weeks after that and endo upped the dose to .88 from .75 I became panicy, cold, anxious at all times, muscle pain, neck, head pain.  So he said the second refill that sent it to 4.71 may have been bad and he changed me to unithroid and started at .75mcg a month ago.  He also tested my blood for other things and the only thing off was b12 at 376 and vit d at 24, so he started me on 2000units of vit d and 500mcg of b12.  Its been about 3 weeks on them and sometimes i forget them so could be more like 2 weeks.  My question is how does this happen?  What causes the vits to go down?  I have been having alot of symptoms for a few months and couldn't figure it out other than to think thyroid was off again.  I was hving appetite loss, headaches, neck pain, extreme dizziness and still dizzy, tingling in my legs and feet, anxiety, nausea still have that to every day and the anxiety.  I have GAD so the smallest thing can send me over the edge espically when thyroid is off.  Can anyone explain this, so I don't have to be so worried and scared.

Thanks 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Patty, try not to be scared. Nothing with thyroid problems happen quickly and things can get sorted out. Ask your doctor if he will measure your T3, Ferritin, Selenium and antibodies Thyroglobulin and Peroxidase. These are all of the basics and will give you a good starting point. You must also read, read, read some more and study as much as you can about this subject because knowledge on this problem does not overflow from the medical community. Read the comments on this forum because there are many people who have had the same problems and they will post thier solutions.

Do get those blood tests though and post them here so that we can all give our opinions.

• Posted

Hi LAH

Thank you for your reply.  I have had hypo since 2000, but recently it all seem to go haywire.  So the endo has put me on unithroid and I got the these lab results yesterday and will be seeing him tomorrow.  

TSH   1.70  range 0.10-4.50 

Free t4 index (t7)   3.0   rand  1.4 - 3.8 

T3 uptake  32  range  22 - 35 

Free T4  1.4  range  0.8  -1.8 

Free t3   2.5   range  2.3  - 4.2 

t3 total   80  range  76-181 

The free t3 and total t3 seem low, what does this mean? I know its only been 4 weeks on the new med and it could take a couple more weeks for the t3 numbers to change.  Am i not coverting, casue the t4 both are on the very high end of normal.  

I've been having dizziness almost daily which causes anxiety for me, so when all this happened I just lost it.  The vertigo scares me alot.  I'm goin today to see a chiropractor who specializes in neck pain, headaches and dizziness, since I have all of that.

Any help with the results would be appreciated.

Thank you 

• Posted

Hi Patty, your numbers do not look bad at all except for your T3 which could be higher. However, your t4 is pushing maximum so simply increasing your unithroid dose may not work since that might put you within hyper level of T4. If that results in better production of T3 then that will not matter very much (and I speak from personal experience with that problem, my T3 was very sub optimal until I cranked up my T4 - and then I started to produce enough T3 to function with).

You might also want to ask your doc to measure your reverse T3, if this is high (it should be well below 20) then your T3 is not getting to your cells - and therefore causing you many negative symptoms.

If your reverse T3 is OK, then try supplimenting your Unithroid with Cytomel (aka T3 or liothyroxene(sp)). This is pure T3 and I have never heard anything but good news from people taking it. I took T3 only just after my thyroidectomy and it was wonderful. Some people take T3 only and they do great on it, I have a few reservations, but cannot yet comment (and they are a bit esoteric).

• Posted

You may also what to ditch Unithroid all together and go with NDT. With NDT you will get all of the T3 you need in a good proportion as well as T2, T1 and calciton. If your doctor has a problem going with NDT, try doing what he says first, if it works fine but if he keeps stuggling with this imperfect line of reasoning  then maybe you will have to change doctors This is something we thyroid patients have to do quite often. We also sometimes have to travel a long was for a good doctor (but then the prescriptions can be filled locallly for a year).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.