I'm Losing So Much Hair After Gallbladder Removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone! So I have a huge problem. My gallbladder was removed laparoscopically in June. Fast forward to the end of September and my hair has started shedding SO much. I'm talking 200+ strands from all over lost each day. I run my hand through my hair and all these strands come out. Showering or brushing my hair is just depressing with how much I lose. It's December now, and my hair is already much thinner and there is no sign of stopping. PLEASE tell me if this is normal? And will it stop?? I'm getting married in October and at this rate I'm going to be bald. I keep crying over this. I used to have long, thick, shiny hair and now it's so thin and dry. I'm taking a daily multivitamin for women, biotin gummies, vitamin D and vitamin B12 pills each day because I heard they might help, but so far there's been no change. I had my blood tested, and my iron was kind of low, so I'm on iron pills now too! UGH! Any one else dealing with this? sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

so sorry this is happening to you ....

i have a friend with lupus whose hair falling out was an early sign of the disease. My sister in law has poly cystic ovaries and hair loss is one of her symptoms too. Thyroid can cause hair loss and good old stress... Liver disease the list goes on and on. 

But once diagnosed treatment for the condition reverses the hair loss. So lots and lots of tests . Remember doctors are like mechanics they test the obvious then work there way down the list to the less common. So just keep going back to your gp. Maybe book an appointment as you are leaving from your appointment  so you keep seeing them till they get a diagnosis ..

and remember don't go on about your wedding to gp they love to put everything down to stress.... Easy diagnosis ...

sorry can't offer you a solution but that's what the medical profession have got to do...

sally 

• Posted

I agree everything said by Sally, my hair is thinking but due to taking a letrosole tablet. Stress could be your answer as more you worry the worse it could be, but agree with Sally go see your GP. If you are in UK ask for a referral with a consult. It's your right to get a second opinion, it's always worked for me, let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Thanks Sally and Janet. My doctor told me my hair is shedding because of "telogen effluvium" where there is hair loss several months after a stressful event (surgery) and that it should resolve itself in a few months. I really hope it does, but I was also diagnosed with fatty liver disease after an ultrasound, so I wonder if that is contributing to the hair loss as well. After my gallbladder was removed, I changed my diet to cut out bad fats and I started eating much more healthy. I've lost 40 pounds, and apparently weight loss can cause hair loss too! Ugh. Everything seems to not be in my favour with this. 
    • Posted

I understand how you are feeling, but by what you have said there is lightest the end if the tunnel, it may be slow going but looking good.
  • Posted

I thought it was my imagination at first, but before my surgery, my hair was falling out/thinning. I would brush my hair and the brush would be full of hair after. It has slowed down to almost normal now - but still shedding a little more than normal and that is about 5 months since surgery! I asked my doc about it and she acted as if I were being silly for wondering about it!
  • Posted

Hi My naturopathic doc had me take digestive enzymes with Ox bile and lipase (you can buy these online, or at the health food store) because once the gallbladder is removed, there isn't enough bile and fat digesting enzymes to digest food properly and absorb nutrients. Won't help with the stress of the surgery hair loss, but there might be more than one thing going on. Blessings to you, hope it gets better soon.
  • Posted

HI there. I have had the same issue over the last 12 years hairloss gradually ever since. What I've just recently learned is that it's common after this procedure to have issues expelling toxins thru bile. Yes you need digestive enzymes and bile support but your liver is overloaded and unable to expel toxins with low bile breaking down these elements. Try taking ca d glucurate with cruciferous supplements along with the digestive support. Fungal infections are invisible and common issues after this procedure and no doctor will tell you this either. The supplements I suggested deal with the elimination of the fungal toxins thru the liver. The liver is taxed after this operation. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.