I'm nervous to walk after having my bunion removed, any suggestions? Ye

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys! I just got my right foot bunion removed and 4 screws put in a week ago. I'm supposed to start moving my big toe tomorrow and I'm weight bearing for 4 more weeks. I was just wondering how much pain it is to start walking on it, as I will be in a boot. I'm really nervous.. :9 nervous that I wish I hadn't gotten this surgery done. I'm only 17.. and love running so I just want to heal correctly. Any suggestions or stories anyone could share? Anything will help!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Its not painfull from what i can remember but wouldn't be running for a while you're physio should be able to advise just rest and keep foot elevated as much as possible

• Posted

Hello Korey ! I had bunion surgery on my left foot 2 years ago (I was 32 then) because all conservative measures had been exhausted. It was a serious case of hallux abducto-valgus. My father is a doctor and contacted an experienced orthopaedic surgeon (MD) specialized in foot and ankle surgery. He choose a technique called "Distal soft tissue realignement + basal osteotomy of the first metatarsal". Surgery went fine. I had to wear a surgical shoe for about 2 months. After 6 months I was ninety nine percent back to normal mobility: I could play tennis, started jogging  and cycling. It took me 1 whole year to return to play soccer and, despite a minor loss of dorsiflexion of the big toe, my athletic performance was not significantly  impaired by the surgery. Everything considered, I am very pleased with the outcome. Best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery !

• Posted

Hi Korey!

I've just had the surgery done yesterday stayed overnight at hospital too! I've walked it in my boot, feels horrible I feel as though my foot is going to explode 😭 am having throbbing sensation and pain here and there! Have you walked at all yet in your boot? How long ago did u have the surgery?

Am glad it's out the way, just recovery now, am 26 but had the bunion since I was 11 so am glad it's out the way really!!

• Posted

I'm 16 and just had the surgery in December! Don't be afraid to walk on it! It's uncomfortable, but not painful. The hardest part is finding shoes to fit, because sometimes it swells and you have to accommodate for that. Nike makes narrow shoes so I would recommend not trying to wear Nikes when you can wear tennis shoes. I was able to walk on in tennis shoes after 2 weeks and was back working at my job that requires me to walk a lot and at a fast pace. I love to run as well, but the best thing you can do is make sure to not favor one side while walking. I did that, and they had to fix it during my physical therapy sessions. By now you're not messing it up by simply walking. As long as you aren't putting major pressure like when you run it should heal just fine!

• Posted

Hi!! What was it like seeing your foot for the first time after removing the bandages after 2weeks??

I am 5day pot-op now & I can walk on my heal but only For around 5-8mins then I feel pressure!! I don't feel pain tbh! Am not on any pain relief anymore only the 1st 3days I was!! I just hope it It healing nicely underneath!

• Posted

Removing it was definitely weird looking. It was yellow from the iodine. You'll probably wash a lot of dead skin off for the next few weeks. So don't freak out when you start seeing a whole bunch of thick white stuff on your foot when you get a shower. Now you're probably about 2 weeks post op, and the pain should be getting better. If not try to take ibuprofen to help with some of the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.