I'm new can anyone help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am one of those people that really gets het up every time I have my BP taken.(even at home!)I have tried every trick in the book to avoid having it taken. I was put on in 5 mg Amlodopine 2 yrs ago and now 4mg of Perindoprol has been added as at the Drs it's always high. I have now been on the 2 tablets for 8 days with no side affects yet! My main worry is that it's only so high at the Drs and with the 2 tablets it's going to go too low at home. Then on the other hand I am thinking it must be really high as I am not getting side affects. I know it's crazy to overthink like this but this bloody BP is ruling my life. My husband says just relax about it but I can't. Is anyone out there as crazy as me?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm inclined to agree with your husband, Angela!wink You're seriously overthinking this.

From your post it looks as if you have a home monitor. Even if you don't, they don't cost very much. Why not start a regime of taking your BP at home and keeping a record of it? Not too often or you'll just get stressed about it. Probably twice a week would be enough. You need to sit quietly for a few minutes before taking it, avoid taking it immediately after eating or drinking, and make sure your bladder is empty. Mid-morning or mid-afternoon are usually the best times. Try to take it around the same time on each occasion. The usual recommended way is to take it three times in succession, with a few minutes in between, then take an average of the three systolic and diastolic (upper and lower) readings. This is what you'd note as being your BP for that day.

I think the lower limit of normal BP is generally taken as 90/60. If yours is consistently below that, then that might indicate you were on too high a dose of medication. In that case you'd need to show the list of your recordings to your doctor. However, you're not reporting any dizzy spells, nausea or fainting fits so it doesn't sound as if your BP is too low. No need to worry that your anxiety would make your BP go down, as it tends to have the opposite effect.

There's absolutely no need to get stressed about this - and particularly not about having no side-effects! Do you want side effects?wink It sounds as if your BP is under pretty good control.

• Posted

Hi Angela, please don't worry too much. Personally I believe there's too much emphasis on BP levels. In the animal kingdom, a giraffe has the highest BP of all animals, but doesn't suffer from illnesses due to this. As we age, it generally gets higher, also you'll be aware of the white coat syndrome. I went into hospital with my BP at 160/100, I was experiencing chest pains, think it was due to Gastritis/Gerd. On the day I left hospital it was 180/ 107, if they thought this was too high, they would never have let me out. Pharmaceutical companies make mega bucks when we take their pills, the industry is massive. How many illnesses can honestly be put down to having high BP? I'm not saying that it doesn't lead to heart attacks, stokes, kidney damage, damage to eyesight etc, but there are numerous illnesses that can cause similar symptoms in the body. Everyone should ask themselves why we are all, on BP medicines???? I was on it, and experienced excruciating pain in my legs and feet, to the extent that I was nearly crippled, is this the way forward? No, but it suits the pharmaceutical companies. 🤔

• Posted

Many drug stores have a BP machine you can take by yourself.  See what you register there.  Also you can get a home machine and take it at home.  Probably good to check it against one at the drug store.  My home machine seems to always read about 10 high.  If you are lower tell your doctor about it.  There are machines he can send you home with to monitor it  at home for a day.  What you may have is called white coat syndrome.  My wife is the same way.  She tests fine at home, but is always high at the doctors office.  It's not uncommon.  On the other hand, maybe your blood pressure is high.  Then you need the medicine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.