I’m new, Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’m new to this and I need Hekp! I got shingles on my face in July, now I’m left with post heretic Neuralgia, Trigeminal Neuralgia on the right side. The areas of pain from most to least are my teeth, cheek, temple, forehead. Please help me to know WHAT MAKES IT WORSE & WHAT HELPS. Please, any help is appreciated! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My first post had so many spelling errors. Sorry, pain! Anyway I’m new to this. Left with Trigeminal Neuralgia after had shingles. Right side teeth worst! Then cheek then temple then forehead. I feel like it’s gettibg even more sensitive. I need help lease. What things can you do to make it worse? What things can you do to make it better? Which Treatments & Medicine’s  helpful? All info is soooo appreciated. 

• Posted

I don't know about shingles. The only medication that stopped the pain of trigeminal neuralgia for me was Tegritol (carbamazepine). You should talk to a neurologist about the proper medication. Tegritol worked very well for my pain for some 15 years until I had the MVD operation.

• Posted

He prescribed this. Haven’t picked it up. Any bad side effects? I can’t decide if taking it or Hydrocodone is worse for me. Want to be conservative. 
  • Posted

This is not medical advice. Hydrocodone is an opioid with terrible side effects and in my experience will have little effect on TN. It is also addictive. Tegritol is effective but does have side effects. You can look them up,
  • Posted

What you're describing is the same thing that happened to me.  

I'm not a professional or an expert but I've  heard that you should not drink alcohol or have junk food when you have shingles because the herpes zoster thrives on it.   I follow the same rule with PHN. 

I heard that you should not have soy so I cut it out of my diet.  

I have been carrying an ice pack.  

I use small bubble packs and have a collection of them so I can't have one get warm without have another cold in the freezer.    

I put cold wet wash clothes in a ziplock bag with the ice packs and I can fit 3 folded clothes into it.    I put one between the ice pack which is folded in half and one on either side and when they freeze, I can shape them to the contours of my face.    

I think nothing of using my ice pack and wash clothes in public and even use them in the grocery store.

I  like to stay by myself and stay off the phone since most people have no idea what neuropathy feels like.  

If I say, "I'm not well and I have to get off the phone," the caller does not understand that this means I have to hang up RIGHT NOW and not just when they get done talking.   

I do strenuous exercise and try to do it every day.    

This is known to regulate your blood sugar and helps with the discomfort.     On days when I stick with my diet and exercise, I feel better.   When I neglect these, the neuropathy is worse.  This regimen caused me to take off about ten pounds in addition to getting better. 

I had episodes last summer that were so bad that I was screaming.  

I kept a huge bowl of ice water in the kitchen sink for times when I felt like the ice packs were not good enough.

I stick my face in when the discomfort gets worse. I sometimes continue this for about 15 minutes.  The secret with this is to keep the water ice cold with ice cubes and do not let it get contaminated with things you might put on your skin.     

In my food I use cayenne pepper, turmeric and black pepper (which is supposed to help turmeric absorb into your system)    I take evening primrose oil, vitamin E and zinc.  I have also tried rose-geranium oil.  I  use coconut oil and take about two teaspoons per day and use it externally.  This is said to have high cholesterol but is also known to be good for neuropathy.  

Do not put turmeric on your face no matter what the media tells you about it since it's really harsh and might set off an allergic reaction.

Here again, I'm not an expert, so please check this stuff out and find out whether or not it's right for you.

I have been using Amitriptyline for less than two weeks so I have a hard time believing that it's had time to build up in my system yet.   However, just so you know, my problems are getting better so maybe yours will.

• Posted

Hi Lisa CBD balm cured my Neuralgia. First application took thr pain away, but I  could feel the nerve endings   By the third day I felt amazing. Applied the balm to my face four five times a day .

also for the next month I used it just to make sure.

CBD oil rubbed unto the skin and taken orally  is good .

hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I have something similar.  My post shingle neuralgia came years later and with a vengeance. The docs really can't confirm any of this. My reading and research brought me to this combined simple remedy that works for me:

Take 500mg of aleve. AND....place a moise warm heating pad for about 30 minutes on the area in need. 

Try this for about a week.  do the heat 2x a day.  It was a miracle.  I had stabbing left ear pain, teeth pain and temple pain.  The ear was the worst.  I have not had an episode in a very long time..(knock on wood)

I pray this works for you.  I now take advil or aleve from time to time and have not used heat in a while.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.