I'm new 😳 . THR in 11 days . I'm 35 , bit worried

Posted , 16 users are following.

Worried about the first few days / weeks after . Weather I should be awake for the op or asleep. What should I take to hospital? . Any advice would be great xxx

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Your worries are normal - I was very concerned before my operation. 

I was awake for my operations, it's more like a car mechanic's workshop in there than a hospital - quite a noisy operation, but you shouldn't see or feel anything at all.  

Everyone is different, some of us don't mind, others would freak out at the thought of being awake.  I let my anethetist know that if he thought I should be 'out of it' for any reason, he was to administer whatever he thought necessary.

See my website for common tips, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and on the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I'm so tempted to be awake, I'm really nosey , would be an experience I think . Do they / the mechanics talk to you at all ? Did you listen to music or have any earphones on ??

• Posted

I had my ipod with me (I did ask beforehand if I was allowed), but mostly chatted to the anethetist (he was very funny) and the nurses who were sweet.
  • Posted

I was really really worried about being awake, but it was fine. They sedate you as well and I don't remember a thing about the operation and because I didn't have general anesthetic, I was sat up in bed as soon as I got back to the ward having a cuppa and feeling great. Just take your basics in with you, and something to read etc.

• Posted

Your a star 🌟?, that's it I'm staying awake 😃. I do get sick after a General x I can't wait x thank you

• Posted

HI BOBBIE ,, Had my THR 12 days ago...and hopefully you have a Joint Clinic pre op 

appointment, which deals with all your worries... 

I had my Op at QA Portsmouth, and cannot praise the staff enough for there patient attention .. As to what to take into hospital, whatever make you feel comfortable . but I dressed during the day so easy skirts loose dress .. I also had a rucksack to take to the bathroom, as carrying with zimmer/crutches not the easiest of things.. and must say my ward buddies , were very impressed... Now at home, my rucksack carries my life around... books, glasses , phone .. ..  Wish you all the best, it will be worth it

xx

• Posted

Thank you so much Vicky , I'm feeling so reassured by all you lovely lot , yes I have joint school clinic this coming Tuesday x feeling more positive now xxxx

• Posted

Hi, I had my hip replaced about 3 years ago.  I decided to go to sleep.  I decided to go to sleep because I did not want to hear anything.  I had an offer to bring my head phones with me if I wanted to be awake and they said I could use them if I wanted to be put to sleep.  I was only awake for about 2 minutes before I went all the way under.  I have no regrets being put to sleep.

Before my surgery I was invited to the hospital for an information class.  They went over everything that would happen, what to expect before the operation (prep) and after the operation (recovery).  I was even given a video to watch and exercises to do before the actual operation.  I was given information about what I needed.  Have you not be offered the same.  I was given a relaxation drug about 1 hour before I was I was taken in.  It was to relax me (one can be nervous) by the time I got to the operation room and was being preped I was feelin "pretty good" but I was still very aware of what was going on.  I was given an epideral.  A shock because although I knew I was going to have one I didn't know that they would slap on some ice cold anaesthetic and I wasn't expecting it.  

I didn't need to bring anything other than sleeping gown/night shirt-no pajama pants, a bathrobe and slippers that I could just slip in and out of.

I was in the hospital for only 2 days.  During that time I had a physical therapist who walked around with me and I was encouraged to do so on my own as well. The more you do the better the recovery.  

I went home and had to take the same pain pills I took at the hospital for 2 weeks(?)  I can't remember.  I took them exactly the same way they were administered in the hospital.

If you don't have anyone to help you it could be a good idea to prepare meals and freeze them if you have a micro oven.  Walk as much as you can.  I think by the 2nd week I was able to take a walk up and down my street and then around the neighborhood.  Slow going but I did it.  It was nice weather so . . . 

My recovery time was a bit over 3 months.  During that time I had physiotherapy 2 times a week.  I went back to work, part time for 3 weeks and then started full time.  

I have no complaints, the experience overall was fine.  

Try not to worry.  I hope this has helped you.  Good luck.

• Posted

I'm feeling so much more relaxed about everything after reading stories like yours . It sounds like you really do have to put in the hard work to get the best from this x yes I have a joint clinic this coming Tuesday and I remember they said something about watching a video. Thanks for the pre warning on the ice pack 😂That must have been a real shock . I have cooked a bit extra and put away in the freezer, my husband has 2 weeks off but can't take anymore time off after that . He's not a great cook bless him . Thank you again, totally getting a back pack xxxx

• Posted

most hospitals are giving you spinal block, you feel nothing, and sedation enough so you just go into a deep sleep, they don't have to use a nasal gastric tube with spinal as they do with general, and when you wake up, you are awake and not toooo woozy, excepting for the painkillers which can make you sleepy anyway.

Make sure you have an over the toilet frame at home, to help you get up and down, with arm frame if possible to help you get up and down.

If i remember your height of your sitting chair, toilet frame, side of bed,  needs to be at the same level as your fold at the back of your knee, second person can measure with tape from that fold to the floor, allow for 3/8 inch for shoes as well, and everything needs to be adjusted to that height, lounge room chair on bricks, or you can get special raiser/cones for your chair legs to sit on, also bricks for bed are a great option.

Maybe your hospital will give you a list of requriements, here in queensland we get a book of ideas, also somebody comes out and checks your house to make sure you have in place.

Nightie for hospital, you can't get into pants, just too diffucult for those first couple of weeks and you can't bend more than 90 degrees.

Baby wipes, get some nice wipes, non-allergeric ones from the chemist, god send when you can't shower those first 24 hours or so, and even after, you feel so sticky and horrible, use as face wipes, hand wipes, body wipes to get off all that betadine they slop all over you, under arm wipes, and under carriage wipes.

I took a couple of packets with me for 1st THR, and hospital supllied them for 2nd THR, wonder if the idea came from my nurses.

Other than than regular toileteries, shampoo, soap, toothbrush, and toothpaste, lipstick, hairbrush and comb, make sure everything is either new and cleaned, don't take any chances with infections.

• Posted

So much helpful information 👏😍thank you so much, wet wipes now on my list x all the measuring of chairs and bed and toilet frame business is happening this week 😳. This is really helping me prepare mentally and emotionally xxx blessings to you xxxx

• Posted

Hi Bobbie, you have the pre-op anxiety that we all get, and understandbly so. Myself they could never talk me into being awake for surgery of any kind. Ok, I am just a big chicken. May be some other hippies on here who have done so, but not this gal. Their is all kinds of advice, experiences and support on this web-site so you came to the right place. I just had my second hip replacement in less than 3 months 6 weeks ago. Neither one of my surgeries were at all alike! Nothing except they were both posterior approach and that is about it. Outcome, healing, and how fast we heal is different for all of us. No two circumstances are alike. Yes, it is a major surgery, but if you are having the constant bone on bone pain and having difficutly walking and functioning it is a very wise thing to do. Prolonging it only prolongs the inevitable and cause undue suffering. I know because that is exactly what I did, and it got so bad when my left side went also that I couldn't walk barely even with a walking aide. The pain was constant. As far as for the hospital most will have you doing PT while there. Something loose and comfortable to wear. Of course your toilitries and any person items you may need. Some people take books or crossword puzzles, but many of us get brain fog from the anesthesia and you just may not feel up to that or be able to concentrate. You will need lots of rest the first few days and will more than likely be sleeping a lot. I hope this helps some...Good luck and please keep us posted. Wishing you well....Barb

• Posted

Barb 😍 What a star thank you so much for your advice, yes it's the pre op anxiety im sure 😂 I'm feeling more and more positive now , reading all the kind replies is a huge help and so informative. Emotionally knowing I'm really not alone is such a relief, when I have felt so alone for the last 2 years . Because of my age (35) they have kept me hanging on and waiting until I'm almost wheelchair bound . Pain was too much to cope with 2 years ago , I can't begin to explain what it's like now . Crossword puzzle now on my list 😉 Thank you xxxx

• Posted

Bobbie I was in the same boat as you...was 18 months for me of barely being able to walk with a walker. Never ending pain...You will be so amazed once the healing starts and it will be so nice to be able to walk and function again. Hugs....Good luck, please keep us all posted. Barb
    • Posted

Thank you barb 😘, Iv been saying for such a long time now j just want to be able to walk . Walk the dog , walk the kids to school . Go shopping 😍 Would be a dream come true 🍾. I can't even stand for more than 5 mins at a time . Can't wait I'm so excited 😂😄

• Posted

So happy for you.....I know the feeling oh so well....Yep all I said is I just want to be my normal self again and to be able to walk and function. You will be so happy once healed. Wishing you an awesome recovery....Hugs...Barb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.