I'm new to this

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.

I went to the doctors yesterday because i have Anxiety Problems and they prescribed this too me, i didn't really want to go on Anti depressent pills because of all the side effects and everybodys complaints about how bad the drugs are.

I'm a happy guy, i have the best girlfriend in the world and i'm not depressed (or at least i don't think i am) i just have a bad anxiety problem.

Will this drug make me more depressed or will it actually help with my Anxiety?

Thanks..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Good morning Roger and welcome :D

As with all drugs there are many side effects but not everyone will experience the same ones and some may not suffer any. While some will suffer one of the side effects someone else might not but they may suffer one of the others.

Does any of that make sense?

Well done on going to see your doctor - whatever happens now - you are on the road to recovery - be it these tablets or another.

Take the tablets as prescribed, be easy on yourself and try not to think or worry about the side effects mentioned. All tablets these days seems to have an endless list of possible side effects - all to protect themselves I s'pose!

Good luck and keep posting of your experiences of citalopram on here.

Everyone is very supportive and will be only too glad to offer you help and support.

Love

Melbi x

• Posted

Hiya

I understand your frustration, when the doc suggested antidepressants to me I was horrified, but then I suppose an anxiety disorder is very close to depression. I have days where I am so low I can't stop crying and I don't feel like myself one bit. It's scary how much it can change you. But I'm not going to stop taking them, I just maintain a 'slowly but surely' attitude. I know I'll get there.

The most annoying thing is that this time last year, I was a totally different person to what I am at the moment. I find that really frustrating.

Feel free to message me if you're ever having a particulary bad freak out, or just venting will help, the guys on here have been really supportive. I'm new to this too.

Bec

• Posted

Roger, I have been on 20 mg 4 weeks then 40 mg Citalopram for about 12 months. My advice to you is an emphatic \"Get a second opinion!\" before taking Citalopram for anxiety.

Citalopram is an SSRI, ie, a Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor. If you are not depressed, why take an anti-depressant?

I agree with Melbi that different side effects appear in different people, but I had never had sexual function problems before and I have now. No problems with getting aroused, just can't fire. It's like there is a switch in my brain that just turns off the impulse at the critical moment. I too have a very supportive partner (who is overseas at present), but it was a great shock for me to find that I could no longer be whole. This is a known side-effect of Citalopram, as my doctor explained when I mentioned tha problem. He just hadn't mentioned it before. And it may or may not be permanent. You don't want to go there man!

I suffered with major depression, dangerously high stress and dangerously high anxiety. I was taking Efexor at 230 mg and my hands shook so much I could not drink without a straw, could not play Scrabble, I had involuntary muscle spasms which were violent and threw me across the bed, I fell sideways when walking, ... the list is extensive. Citalopram di not cause any of those side-effects, but left me with the ejaculation problem. Now I have decided to argue for a phased reduction to nil, of all anti-depressants. As for stress and anxiety, there are many other products available here in Australia which may be available in the UK too, which really do relieve stress and anxiety. The one I used, less than ten times, and was cured, completely cured of stress and most of the anxiety, is a product called Organo adrenoStress, made in Australia. It contains ethanol, which I understand is not allowed in the UK. But please be careful and please seek a second opinion before taking Citalopram.

I have some other health problems I'm fixing as I go, but stress, anxiety and depression are not the same thing and they can lead to worse conditions. But random \"take this for a few months and see if it works for you\" prescriptions are not the answer.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thankyou for your quick replys.

The thing is, my body won't calm down, but only because i get worried about how bad my throat is, it seems like i can't breath even though i can and it feels like my throat is really tight and sore.

I have no problem with depression, because like i've already said my girlfriend makes me the happiest guy in the world and thats the thing that keeps me going.

I've decided to stop taking the tablets (i've only took two of them at 10MG anyway..) and the only difference i've found is Nausea, headaches and dizzyness added to my daily life.

I hope Citalopram works for everybody else and i hope everybody on these boards who suffer with depression fights their way back to happyness.

Thanks for the help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.