I'm newly diagnosed B12 deficient and feeling very unwell

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been feeling ill for months, probably longer with the same symptoms, palpitations, unsteady on my feet, absolutely exhausted all the time,recurrent bad chest infections, ending up in hospital once, where they looked for asthma as I was so short of breath,very swollen ankles, and out of puff when I try to do housework, headaches and I got the feeling over time that the Dr probably thought I was imagining things! In the last month things got so bad that the Dr. gave me all the blood tests for CHF as my symptoms, age and history seemed to point in that direction. Thankfully my heart seems to be ok for my age,71. the blood results did show that I had a  low B12 reading,106, and the Dr gave me the first B12 injection last week with 4 more to come at weekly intervals. I was so pleased my heart was ok and she didn't say about low B12 possibly causing my symptoms and making me feel so ill. I am wondering if anyone can give me some hope of feeling better, and if there is anything I can do to boost levels myself. I have been taking PPIs for years because of a hiatus hernia. I have read a lot of the posts and they are very informative and you know that other poor souls are suffering too. I hope in one way that this is the cause of my probs, I never knew B12 anaemia could be such a debilitating illness.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi bigbsy: just read ur post. so sorry to hear that ur feeling so bad for so long. yes, b12 deficiency can make one feel v. low. it's good that u have the diagnosis and are having the appropriate treatment.

a coupe of things that may help the energy depletion. firstly a good quality B complex & a standard dose of Folic Acid. i'm sure Doc would have checked ur Folic Acid levels when doing the Full Blood Count. it would be good to know what the levels are & supplement if necessary as the b12 needs adequate amounts of Folic Acid to be utilized/effective.

often with b12 def,. Thyroxine levels can be low. it would be worth ur while having ur Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) levels checked along with T3 & T4. also it might worth having ur Vit. D levels tested. depletion of all or any of these will make u feel ghastly & tired.

as ur clinical presentation resembled CHF, it might be a good idea to have some CoQ10. it's an excelent cardiac support enzyme and we producce less & less as we get older. obviously a reliable supplier is recomended as it's an unstable product. make sure u get it the oil form too. have a google for more info.

hope u soon begin to feel the positive effects of the injections.

all good luck C.

• Posted

Hi Caitlin, Thanks for your post. I wastold about being B12 deficient about 2 weeks ago and have just had my second injection. Truth is I don't feel any better yet except maybe in my mind having  been told that I didn't have any cardiac pointers in the blood test, so I am hoping that B12 supplementation will make a big difference. I will try to find out what levels the blood test showed,I don't know if the doctor will co-operate but I will try. I suspect I may be low on Vit D too, as I was told that about 4 years ago when I  lived in England, but I never really kept taking any Vitamin supplement. I will look at CoQ10,do you mean the capsules? Thanks again Caitlin, best wishes.
    • Posted

hi Bigbsy. yes, the CoQ10 will be in Capsule form. some , however, are sold in powdered form (in a capsule) but are not as effective as the oil in capsule. i had to play around with the dosage to get the best effect & indeed with the manafacturers untill i found one that consistently delivered the same effect. i'm taking them for 'mitochondrial failure', but many ppl take them after the 50 age mark as our natural production tends to drop off then. Vit D deficiency can leve us v. exhausted on it's own. have a google of the Viatmin D council web site or log onto to the Vit D section of this site. i would have a Thyroxine screen done if at all possible. Thyroxine anamolies often present with b12 def. it'll probably take a while before u feel the effects of the b12 as the body stores need to be replinished & this takes a while . alot of the 'bolus' IM dose of b12 gets lost to the urine. the body can only absorb so at a time. but u will begin to feel better.
    • Posted

Thank you Caitlin for all the information in your last post, do you think a 1/day good over 50s multivitamin would cover all the Vitamins and minerals needed when you are short of B12. I take M....bionta. Secret squirrel in case I am not supposed to say Brands! Best wishes.
    • Posted

hi Bigbsy

hope uv'e had some uplift moments since commencing the b12 injections. if not, don't panic, it can take some time to reverse the damage done by the deficiency. however, those moments do creep up on us eventually? each body has it's own individual pace & rhythm in terms of repair & recovery, so always difficult to put a time on such things.

re: vitamin intake: the one a day vitamin pills are fine to prevent illness deficiency but not strong enough to reverse disease. coz the body has been depleted to the point of illness expression (b12), it'll have put a lot of demands/stresses on other nutrients/systems & likely to be depleted all round. it'll therefore need ''therapeutic'' vitamin doses to repair damage/deficiency. i'd say a good quality b complex plus a good qaulity mineral complex is advisable a couple or 3 times a day until u begin to feel better. then revise the dosage downwards. of course the diet is v. important, even if ur not absorbing very well, some nutrients will always get through.

C

• Posted

Hi Caitlin

I had the 1st uplift moment tonight! I found myself trying on coats from my wardrobe that haven't seen the light of day for ages. I guess that qualifies because I had a very bad day yesterday, in bed most of the day,so all over the place at present! Thankyou for the advice on vitamins, it all makes sense. If I were to start some extra vitamins now, not the multivitamins, do you think that would upset any folate levels for the blood test at the end of the five weeks of jabs, I want to get a true reading then. Maybe I should wait until I finish the loading doses? I really appreciate your time and trouble posting to me. 

• Posted

hi bigsby. really pleased to hear the 'uplift' moment has occured. that's great and v. welcomed i'd imagine. sometimes ppl feel so ghastly with b12 def. and it takes so long for that moment to occur that they sometimes begin to doubt recovery is possible or that the injections are actually having the desired effect.

i truly don't think that starting on the quality multi vits would have THAT much of an effect so quickly, that they would measurably skew the blood results in 5 weeks time. unless u have been MEGA supplementing, ur Folate should be around normal or slightly above or below normal. think high levels of Folate occur when we have been MEGA supplementing in the presence of b12 def. Folate is necessary to metabolize b12. they work together. it's also likely that ur b12 def. is due to malabsorbtion rather than PA. so the absorbtion of the nutrients is likely to be deminished too. hence the need to keep feeding the body regurarly for optimal absorbtion. however, having said all that do what u feel comfortable with. it's really good that ur showing recovery signs already. btw, don't give urself a hard time about having to stay in bed coz the body needs lots of rest at times of depletion & when 'run down'. fresh air is great but good quality stress free, guilt free, switch off rest is invalauble to the healing process.

• Posted

Caitlin

Thanks Caitlin, trouble is it's not guilt free! It would be wonderful if it were, but my husband really doesn't understand how I am feeling and he reckons that stopping in bed is not good for a person suffering from supposed "depression", because that is what my family think is wrong. Their view might change if I have a miraculous turnaround, maybe not. I feel it's me against the world at present, with the exception, of course, of tonight's uplift moment.Your posts help so much.

• Posted

hi Bigsby. hope that 'uplift' moment has continued to expand to a few hours/days maybe more.............?

sadly, due to lack of awareness and public health education of this debilitating condition, it can sometimes get reduced to one of those ''pull your self together conditions''?

to make an analogy, albeit a crude one, if one's car was leaking petrol/diesel, i don't think we'd expect it to take us to the shops, do the daily regular runs to the local town/country, to the extended family etc etc. it would be out of action, down the garage in the sick bay being nursed back to health by the 'expert' mechanic.

we wouldn't be saying it's lost it's mogo & needs to pull itself together. we'd be looking for the CAUSE of the (lack of mojo) i.e. the leak and repairing it.

thank heavens there are some public awareness campaigns under way to bring this silent insidious condition into the medical & public arenas. it will take time. but it's slowly happening. depression is a byproduct of b12 deficiecny not the cause of it, not to mention all the other 'viscous cycle' of symptoms wrecks in it's wake. the recovery from b12 def. needs lots of time, rest & good quality 'daily pacing' to make a timely recovery. pushing too much , too soon, too hard just slows up the healing/recovery process.

keep the thought of that catwalk in the forefront of ur mind. it always helps to have an uplifting achievable goal in sight.

C.

• Posted

Thankyou Caitlin, so very much, what a lovely, helpful way of trying to come to an understanding of this complicated, debilitating illness.I will try to pace myself as you suggest and I do realise that it will take time. I will try to find out if I have this IF Factor or I am deficient in B12 because of another reason ie. taking a PPI for years. That will have to be when I next see the GP. Thanks again and very best wishes. 
    • Posted

hi Bigsby. pleased u seem to be going a little less harsh on urself. yes, this IS a PERVASIVE & complicated condition & a neglected & not well understood one to boot.

it would be beneficial to have ur Thyroid levels also checked at the GP's. i don't want to keep harping on about this, but it's very intertwined with b12 Def. often where there's one the other presents. and recovery too, is intertwined & interdependent on healthy levels of what's known as healthy of T3 & T4. sometimes with B12 def. we don't convert from T4 to T3 & this impedes recovery. the symptoms of low Thyroid levels & b12 def. overlap.

Docs tend to just test the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) only, which just gives a rough estimate of how the organ is functioning. it doesn't give the particulars like the T3/4 levels do.

i know it's not always that easy to have to keep nudging the Doc in the right direction when feeling low & depleted. however, sometimes it needs to be done. with Docs, i often find that it's good to have someone (whose gently assertive/focused with u if possible) when u attend for an appoinment. it helps dilute that annoying power/deference dynamic that sometimes present a barrier. they also, tend to engage more fully & ask more pertinent questions if there's 2 ppl present.

all positive/healing thoughts going ur way.

best C

• Posted

Hi Caitlin.

Just needed to tell all my kind friends on here that today has been a Great Day! I woke up feeling well and carried on that way all day,even did some housework,AND, went for a WALK on the beach too! I apologise for the capitals, I know it is bad form,but good for emphasis. I also got my folate tabs, as metafolin 400, and am just going to take 1/day until I get my blood test. Yippee! Light at the end of the tunnel, but I will still take it easy as I am aware there are Days and then there are days. I can't remember feeling as good as I have today, and that is years back, felt 21 again!!!!!!!

Best wishes Margaret.

• Posted

thrilled to hear that Margaret. may you have many more of the these.

Caitlin

• Posted

I just wanted to reply to your post as I have only been diagnosed in the last month and had all of the problems you describe. I went to the doctor often since Nov and was told ear infection, a virus, a water infection. I eventually insisted on blood after I was breathless walking upstairs and my lips turned blue and my heart was pounding. It turned out dangerously low iron and B12. I had a blood transfusion given four pints. The levels didn't rise enough so I had six B12 jabs over a fortnight. By the end of it I couldn't sit still. I have amazing energy, huge appetite, all my symptoms went away within a coupe of days of the jabs starting.  I will need jabs three monthly for life but feel amazing so although you have had a terrible time I just wanted to reassure you that you will probably feel the best you have n years.

wishing you the very best x

• Posted

Thankyou Jenny for your kind wishes. I am soglad that you are feeling so much better, you must have been very poorly before they finally found out your problem and hopefully have found the way around it. I wish I could say the same but no joy yet. I have had a reaction to the B12 injections this last week after my last, no. 5. I have had a poorly tummy since Sunday, feeling very queasy all the time, and my scalp has a large amount of bumps and pimples especially around the hair line and on my face and I am not a pimply teenager, I'm a pimply pensioner!  The palpitations have been bad too. All possible reactions to the injections. Waiting now for a blood test. I was out today and am shattered now, but other people have given me good advice so I'm hoping to turn the corner soon. I lived in the UK until 3 years ago, but now live in Eire and believe me the Health Service in Ireland is a very poor relation to the NHS, I 've been waiting for a cardiology appt. for 8 months now, I hope to find out if there are any cardio neurological problems caused by the long wait for a probable diagnosis. My very best wishes to you and thanks again for your kind thoughts, hearing other people's experiences, especially positive ones does help a lot. x
    • Posted

Hi Jenny, me again. I have just read your other post and I see you too have had skin problems . I too have thinning hair and I can see my scalp through my hair right at the middle at the front!! This is something that does concern me and I will be interested to see if anyone knows of anything to help. I have decided to wait until I get the blood test before I start taking a lot of tablets myself. Best wishes, Margaret.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.