I'm not happy with the results from my knee replacements.

Posted , 5 users are following.

It's been 6 years since I had my knees replaced and even though all the pain I use to have in my knees is gone I was deeply disappointed to discover I could no longer run.

I know it’s not recommended to run with the implants but it would have been nice to know in the event I had to run for one reason or another I could do so.

I was only 40 when I had the surgeries and my doctor knew how active I was so it never occurred to me to ask if there were different types of implants to choose from that would be more suitable with my life style.

If I try to run now I experience unbearable pain just below and above my knees. I am guessing it’s coming from the area of the bone they had to drill out for the implants. It feels just like it did when it was bone on bone

Has anyone else experienced this pain while trying to do some very light running.

What adds more salt to the wound is when I see amputees participating in iron man competitions with more than half of their leg made out of plastic and metal.

I wouldn’t have a problem going through the whole thing all over again if it meant I would be able to run now and then.

As it is right now I couldn't run if my life depended on it.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Larry,

Sorry you had your knees done so young.

I have just had my hip replaced and will be going in for a Lt knee replacement.

The surgeon I used is Dr Craig Waller, he uses a new way of placing knees and according to your fitness you can play social tennis or ski, no you cant run marathons !

Look him up on the interned, he operates in St Vincents in Sydney Australia but perhaps it can give you some pointers for someone who does the same work in UK

Sheila

• Posted

Hi I'm now 18wks TKR and have run for the bus a couple of times without thinking and didn't really have any pain. Just the usual tightness across the top of the knee. Had your dr commented at all on why you have pain?
  • Posted

Good point Suzy I had a TKR on my Rt knee 4 yrs ago and I too can rum short distances on it, maybe you need to chat to someone Larry
  • Posted

I could run  if I  really   have to, but I choose not to, having a shortened life span for my joints isn't worth it in my opinion a revision is something else it's harder to recover from,  and harder to do each time,..like Bo Jackson went back to sport only to be back in 3 years...
  • Posted

Oh,Larry,this is so sad to hear! You should have been told at the time that high impact exercise is off the exercise list and my thoughts are with your frustration. Have you thought about finding a different type of exercise? You can cycle,swim,golf etc. all of which can be done to a level where you can have a "workout" or be competative.
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your feedback.

Just to clarify how these limitations affect me I'm not really interested in long distance running or jogging anymore.

After all that is what caused all the damage to begin with. I do however play some light tennis. Before my surgeries I was known for my speed and ability to run down and return most anything hit to my side of the court.

Now there is no way I can accelerate with enough speed to make contact with the ball unless it's lands within a very close approximation to my body.

Even in doubles there are times when you need to produce short spirts of speed to reach the ball in time. But these days I have no choice but to just watch as any ball hit outside my limited hitting range just pass on by pretty as they please.

I can’t think of any logical reason why I should not be able generate the same speed as I did before.

After all, my legs will still move quickly enough I’m only limited by the pain it causes my Tibia and Femur area.

I may as well not even play if my opponent knows all he has to do is place the ball outside my physical range limits.

I use to be a world class player with unlimited movement around the court. Now my I feel disabled and extremely handicapped.

I will check back in with my doctor and see what he has to say and report back what if anything can be done.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Larry

The picture I uploaded has arrors pointed to the area I feel extreme pain when I try to run

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.