I'm not sure if I have ear infection or second noutbof shingles

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last episode of shingles 3 months ago - felt unwell this week - last couple of days experienced burning top of ear and inside - went to gp advised possible infection in ear prescribed drops and olive oil due to build up of wax - decided to go back this afternoon for second opinion due to ongoing burning sensation - gp advised to continue with drops etc prescribed anti viral if burning or rash appears but suggested leaving it to see if drops help - I am so scared of this awful virus don't know what to do as felt so ill since the first episode - literally had one cold after the other and just constantly feel I am fighting something in my body - please help 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison,

If you are feeling the same as the first episode of Herpes Zoster-Shingles, with the same symptoms you had, start the Antiviral immediately.

Take it for the entire prescription. It should state 7 or 10 days.

Are you having a headache, aches and pains, burning in your ear canal, fatigue and exhaustion? Is your face drooping?

Which antiviral were you prescribed? dosage, frequency, and how many days?

It is better to take the antiviral than not, as it will stop the replication of the varicella virus, and therefore the pain will be less intense and the duration of the episode will be shorter.

I am sorry you are not feeling good.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your response - it's difficult knowing if this is an ear infection or the dreaded - I have felt like I am going down with something and I have had trouble with my ears before - I have felt tired and at the beginning of the week nausia with no appetite . In general I have felt unwell . The burning was at the top of my ear - there has been no tingling numbness no external rash although the gp said it was inflamed inside poss due to hard wax. I stayed the ear drops last night flumetasone x 2 drops twice a day - I woke this morning my ear is not burning as before so unsure wether I should take the anti viral - the gp prescribed them with a view of seeing if the drops helped first but if not to take 800 aciclovir 5 times for 5 days - the last episode I only had 400 mg .  Thankfully my face has not dropped - should I just take the antiviral as a precaution ?

• Posted

Hi Allison both times that I have had shingles my ear stopped up and that was my first symptom then came the breakouts. This week I have been feeling the same way you are and my ear is stopped up so I started on the anti-vitals. Thank God we have the meds!! 

Good luck listen to Merry Juliana she is a pro at this stuff having suffered with it for years and is a PA. Diane

• Posted

You did the right thing going in for another eval. Shingles is a very two sided sword.  The waiting and anxiety can be really tough. 

I hope all goes well and your ear heals soon. if possible get the shingles immunization if you havent already,  it will help the recurrence episodes and less severity of the rash & prevent it from spreading to other places.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.